British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-10-19, 06:01 PM

Default The 18th Division mystery

The 18th Infantry Division adopted as its vehicle sign on October 1939 a windmill. After signs for uniforms were authorised in September 1940 the same sign was adopted for uniforms.

At that date most signs adopted were embroidered as materials to make them were readily available. Two versions of the 18th's sign are known, a square embroidered version and one cut to a circle, so far only seen in the attached photo.

In April 1942 the War Office issued instructions that in future only printed signs were to be purchased and there are numerous examples of the printed version, the majority unworn.

The 18th Division left Britain on 28th October 1941 destined for Malaya via India and was captured in Malaya in emid-February 1942, considerably before the instruction to adopt printed signs was issued.

I have now been shown the attached battle dress blouse which carries the insignia of the Royal Corps of Signals, the arm title on it not authorised until 1943, the windmill printed. Another example sold some years ago had the printed sign with printed arm titles of the Suffolk Regiment and the Suffolks combination shown also has a printed sign.

I am wondering if the division ordered supplies of printed signs in advance of the instruction to do so and that they were later worn by veterans of the Division who eventually returned to Britain as a "badge of honour".

I would welcome other members thoughts.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18 Div 2.jpg (118.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 18 Div 5 poss Suffolks IA.jpg (81.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 18 Div embd.jpg (90.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 18 div ptd JC.jpg (98.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 18 Div round Cde Vet site.jpg (62.3 KB, 40 views)
Old 01-10-19, 07:41 PM

Cool Printed 18th Division signs

In the book "Battalion at war" there is a picture of the author Michael Moore as a baby with his Mother and Father, Sgt. "Pony" Moore who is wearing service dress with Cambridgeshire Regt collar badges, brass Cambridgeshire shoulder titles, his Sgt's stripes and what looks to me like a printed 18th Division formation sign.

This photograph was taken before the Division embarked for overseas service and bears the mark of a bullet which Sgt Moore received after being wounded by a grenade.

As usual the photograph was taken full on and only half the formation sign is visible, but for my money I would say it's a printed one.

A photograph obviously taken after the return of Sgt. Moore shows him in battle dress with a Cambridgeshire white on red shoulder title, medal ribbons and his Sgt's stripes, no 18th Division formation sign. The shoulder title was probably printed as I have one my Father-in-Law gave me, one of his which is a printed one.

Rob
Old 01-10-19, 08:04 PM

I have a 1944/45 dated NZ manufactured battle dress blouse, from memory it has printed shoulder titles and 18th Division signs with the regimental Cambridge blue and black sign although I'll have to dig around to confirm it has the 18 Div one.
Presumably it was issued to a Cambridgeshire Regiment releaesd PW at the end of the war.

Images added - printed shoulder title and 18th Division sign, woven regimental flash, embroidered overseas service stripes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0867 (2).jpg (17.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0869 (2).jpg (38.9 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 02-10-19 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Correct blue to black.
Old 02-10-19, 03:11 PM

Useful information gents, thank you.

Let's hope some more evidence surfaces.

Jon
Old 02-10-19, 06:20 PM

Cool 18th Div patches

Jon,
Sadly I think most of the men who wore this patch are no longer with us, as to whether it was embroidered or printed I doubt they would have remembered if asked.

The village I live in had I believe some 14 FEPOWS, I have attended three FEPOWS funerals, one my Father-in Law's and two close friends of his.

There may be some help on a FEPOW's website, but I doubt many are left that served with the 18th Division or may remember.

Rob