British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Arab Nations

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-10-19, 02:21 AM

Default The Armed Forces of the Gulf States, Volume 2 Oman, 1921-2012

New book just out. The Armed Forces of the Gulf States, Volume 2 Oman, 1921-2012.

https://www.helion.co.uk/military-hi...bae168a8c8b511

‘The Armed Forces of the Gulf States, Volume 2’, covers the military, police, and selected para-military services of the Muscat & Oman, and the successor Sultanate of Oman in period from 1921 until 2012. Great Britain and Oman have had various mutual defence treaties since centuries. This resulted in establishment of very close ties between the British and the Sultan of Oman’s armed forces. Since 1920s, the British seconded and contract personnel served with the latter services through forming, leading, advising and training them. ‘The Armed Forces of the Gulf States, Volume 2’, is providing not only the story of this service, but also an in-depth history of the emerging Sultan of Oman’s Armed Forces, the Dhofar Force, plus selected para-military services, including regimental and corps histories, and selected military operations. Richly illustrated – also with exclusive photographs and colour profiles of the uniforms, equipment, and insignia - this comprehensive history of Oman military forces from early days to independence and well beyond, is supported by an extensive glossary of terms and comprehensive time-charts, detailing the dates of formation and disbandment or re-designation of entire scores of units. ‘The Armed Forces of the Gulf States, Volume 2: Oman, 1921-2012’ is thus an indispensable source of reference for those interested in the military history of this part of the world, the history of the Arab-British cooperation, but also a memorial for those who served in the Sultan’s Armed Forces, and to their families.
Vol 1 came out earlier this year and is about the UAE including TOS and many other units from the other defence forces that were in the seven states that made up the UAE in 1971.
Rgds Quicksilver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg helion1000885.jpg (35.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 28-10-19, 05:54 AM

The Omani headdress badge shown here is not in my book on Oman as I have no idea what organisation or unit would wear it. It is very well made, a quality item, and has an olive green scroll with the words in Arabic right to left as Honesty (ALAMANA), Security (ALAMN), Peacefulness (ALAMMAN). Also I have not shown any of the mess dress collar badges as I do not have many. In the main they are miniatures of the cap badge. Shown below is the Artillery collar.
Cliff Lord aka Quicksilver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img574.jpg (39.7 KB, 41 views)
Old 31-10-19, 11:25 PM

Translations of UAE police arm patches.
New information from the Al Ain Police Museum showing a few extra cloth patches and the translation of the Arabic script written on them. Pse note that this is from the earlier published (this year) Helion book Middle East at War series Vol 1 UAE.
Cliff Lord
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UAE Police arm patches.jpg (49.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 04-11-19, 06:16 AM

Due to a lack of space the publishers of Vol 2 were unable to show the latest cloth patches of Oman's Border Guard Brigade's battalions. Have decided to show them here for patch collectors.
Quicksilver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oman Border Guard Brigade Battalion Patches.jpg (22.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg BGB HQ C IMG-20180218-WA0000 - Copy.jpg (67.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Quicksilver; 04-11-19 at 06:21 AM.
Old 14-11-19, 03:34 PM

Thanks for that C. Got the book this week and it's a cracker.Pinned down my latest purchase as an officers silver badge from 1954 to the 1970's.I will post photo when i can. best regards. Phil.
Old 15-11-19, 04:01 AM

Thanks Phil!
BRgds
Cliff ex R.Sigs