British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-08-19, 08:12 PM

Question Lambourne

I have recently been sorting out my Yeomanry badges and found I had a "BIY" on my Bedfordshire board made by Lambourne of Birmingham.

I was always under the impression that they manufactured swagger stick tops prior to 1914 and took on the task of cap badges and shoulder titles during the Great War.

This however puts a different light on things as the Imperial Yeomanry was superceded in 1908.

Does anyone have any badges prior to The Great War made by Lambourne?

Rob
Old 24-08-19, 10:22 PM

Rob, can we see the badge please?.
Old 24-08-19, 11:01 PM

I thought L was Ludski but became 'Lambourne' in 1933 - I think Luke found this in the records.
Old 24-08-19, 11:04 PM

Didn't Ludski become Ludlow?
Old 24-08-19, 11:40 PM

I’d very much like to see a picture too.

Some Yeomanry continued wearing the IY badge into WW1. Photographs show Ayrshire IY, Gloucestershire Hussars IY badges being worn.

Given the numbers of Montgomeryshire IY badges seen versus the M.Y. variety I would assume the M.I.Y. badge was also widely worn although I’ve never seen a clear enough photograph to prove this either way.

Additionally I recall Malc having a Lincolnshire IY badge with a plate on the reverse inscribed ‘a memento of the Great War’ or something similar. So another candidate for an IY badge being worn.

There’s also the anomaly of the Woodward marked Middlesex IY badge, which I suspect to be WW1.

... overall when it comes to Yeomanry anything is possible.

I must admit Beds IY are rare as hens teeth. Rarely do they come up for sale and all the genuine ones I’ve seen look good quality - i.e. not Lambourne like!

However I do own and know of several ‘Berkshire’ Yeomanry badges with Lambourne plates. These are a quite different and distinctive die so I’d be surprised if IY was applied to such a badge.

Phil’s correct, Ludski became Ludlow. However I can’t take the credit for the information on date change, I read it on here somewhere.

I don’t know of any Lambourne made badges stratified to pre-WW1 but Nozzer is your man to answer that question more authoritatively than I.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B364EA1E-08ED-4A8E-89E3-2A4B104F54EF.jpg (26.3 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Luke H; 24-08-19 at 11:45 PM.
Old 25-08-19, 07:20 AM

Ooops - it was late

Lambourne began in 1868 producing ‘gentlemen’s dress accessories.
I haven't found any evidence that they made military items before the 1st WW.
Thanks to Ticker's research on the Board of Trade we know that Lambourne made military insignia for the War Office. Their first contract was in May 1915 and their last (during the war) in August 1917.

Apropos their distinctive dies / designs that Luke alludes to above - I fully concur. Their KLR badges are very distinctive, easily recogniseable from the front.

Last edited by KLR; 25-08-19 at 07:24 AM. Reason: distinctive
Old 25-08-19, 05:52 PM

I wonder if Lambourne started out supplying Territorial Associations with badges, before they had War Office contracts-if so there could be a possibility they were making cap badges pre war. Regards, Paul.
Old 02-09-19, 12:03 PM

Cool Lambourne BIY title

Forum members, as I started this thread I feel I should include some pics of the title.

As you can see it has the sort of patina that is found on original shoulder titles and is an item I bought at a local antique fair some twenty five years ago for £1.00.

All thoughts and comments are welcome . . !

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020398.jpg (63.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg P1020399.jpg (68.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg P1020401.jpg (85.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg P1020403.jpg (89.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-09-19, 12:18 PM

It's a difficult call ! (As far as KLR goes - I wouldn't be able to date a TF badge between 1908 and 1915)
Old 02-09-19, 04:11 PM

Smile Lambourne BIY title

Julian, this is a shoulder title for Bedford Imperial Yeomanry pre 1908 and yet it has a Lambourne makers mark who supposedly only made cap badges and shoulder titles during the Great War.

I suppose they could have made this title as a trial sample prior to the formation of the TF, this is my reason for posting, to find out if any other forum members have items worn prior to the Great War made by Lambourne.

Rob
Old 02-09-19, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Julian, this is a shoulder title for Bedford Imperial Yeomanry pre 1908 and yet it has a Lambourne makers mark who supposedly only made cap badges and shoulder titles during the Great War.

I suppose they could have made this title as a trial sample prior to the formation of the TF, this is my reason for posting, to find out if any other forum members have items worn prior to the Great War made by Lambourne.

Rob
Good afternoon All,

Not being much of a Lambourne aficionado, may I ask what the source of the info is regarding the prevailing theory that this company only made cap badges and shoulder titles during the Great War?

With thanks,

N.
Old 02-09-19, 06:23 PM

BOTH - 'supposedly' and 'prevailing theory' !!!!

There is no 'evidence' that they made badges before 1915 - they may well have done !
Perhaps the BIY ST 'is' the evidence ! I'm not aware of existing Lambourne archives but there might be something at Sophos (present owners) or Companies House.
Old 03-09-19, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
BOTH - 'supposedly' and 'prevailing theory' !!!!

There is no 'evidence' that they made badges before 1915 - they may well have done !
Perhaps the BIY ST 'is' the evidence ! I'm not aware of existing Lambourne archives but there might be something at Sophos (present owners) or Companies House.
Thank you, KLR.

Yes, perhaps Sonofacqms' example is the evidence. Fascinating stuff. Thank you.
Old 06-09-19, 07:58 PM

Cool Lambourne BIY title

So having posted this thread a few weeks ago, there has been no members posting pics or any other mentions of pre Great War badges made by Lambourne, it seems my badge to the Bedfordshire Imperial Yeomanry is a bit of a rarity.

Surely this must dispel the theory that the aforementioned Company only made badges during the Great War . . !

Rob

Last edited by Sonofacqms; 06-09-19 at 08:40 PM.