British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-11-18, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
I have found my scruffy little cloth version s advertised above. Hope to scan and post over the weekend. Dont hold your breath ..... "interesting" is polite!
I like the sound of this badge.
Old 01-12-18, 04:08 PM

The cloth example looks to be quite a sizeable badge, were the measurements given when it was recently sold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
A nice portrait of a regimental scout, from his cap badge serving with the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry although his shoulder title - in spite of my scanner's best efforts, illegible - appears to be straight and not curved which is what I would have expected.

The superb cloth example was recently sold at auction for a considerable sum.

Comments welcome.

Jon
Old 03-12-18, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
I like the sound of this badge.
Somebody loved it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181203_0002.jpg (25.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181203_0003.jpg (30.3 KB, 57 views)
Old 03-12-18, 04:30 PM

I like it, it has character. I only have a couple of "homemade" insignia, a rank chevron and some overseas service chevrons embroidered on swatches of cloth having presumably been applied directly to the tunic sleeves. They're interesting although I see the case for sticking with insignia of more conventional and official manufacture.
Old 10-12-18, 07:57 PM

Quote:
From the 1906/7 RACD ledgers, and from PVCN 1907, Clothing Regs 1909, 1911 PVCN, 1913 PVCN, 1914 Clothing Regs, and 1915 PVCN the four scout badges [large with bar, large, small with bar, and small] are only described as "brass" or "gilding metal" or "metal". , There were lots of worsted ones around and [tellingly] lots of worsted variations of course. The Gamages demi-official list of c. 1917 has both worsted and brass versions for private purchase.
All I can find in the PVCN are listed below.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-12-18, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
All I can find in the PVCN are listed below.

Marc
Thank you.
There are also references in Clothing Regs and in the RACD ledgers. They contradict none of your research.
Old 10-12-18, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Thank you.
There are also references in Clothing Regs and in the RACD ledgers. They contradict none of your research.
Thank you, unfortunately I do not have any of those. As there is only one of each badge listed which size would you say they were for?

Marc
Old 11-12-18, 03:38 PM

Off the cuff, the small, later ones. I will have a shufti, but it will be after this coming weekend.
Old 11-12-18, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Off the cuff, the small, later ones. I will have a shufti, but it will be after this coming weekend.
No rush, and thank you.

Marc
Old 18-12-18, 12:46 PM

From RACD ledger, my notes:

1.1.05 Badges Cavalry scouts 1st class with bar, 2nd class without bar, gilding metal
15.3.05 Badges scouts cavalry to be worn full dress Date uncertain
3.7.07 Badges Scouts gilding metal, 1st and 2nd, size reduced
3.7.07 Badges Scouts, reduced size [gm] 1st and 2nd class size reduced, rubbings included.
16.7.07 Badges Scouts, black backing small size .

2. Cavy Drill Manual 1896 ...."ground scouts" employed in reconnoitring the ground"

3. 1897. Scout badge intro. VDG by B-P

4. 1899. "Aids to Scouting" by B-P " badge fleur de lys representing north point compass, one officer per regiment, and eight men per squadron.

5. Clothing Regs 1909 [not mentioned in previous CR] Cavalry and Infantry First class with bar, and also describes the junior version for cavalry but not for infantry. [CR often a bit behind the drag curve and show signs of clerical and admin errors]
Old 18-12-18, 01:14 PM

Thanks Grumpy lots of good information there particularly in relation to size.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 19-12-18, 04:21 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Thumbs up

Hi Grumpy

Thanks for the additional info, I have noted this for further reference.

Regards & Merry Christmas.

Phil.
Down Under.
Old 01-01-19, 04:21 PM

That is a very odd looking badge, I would think not issued by the Army, but, ertainly not the normal embroidered, worsted type shown in post thirty nine, are any of the other several you mention in post thirty eight, of the embroidered type?

Quote:
Somebody loved it.
Old 01-01-19, 04:31 PM

I think it is very interesting to note the dates with particular regard to the size, it would certainly go a considerable way to explain why the large examples seem really quite scarce.
Although there are certainly photographs which might well have been taken post 1907 which do show the large metal badge being worn.

Quote:
From RACD ledger, my notes:

1.1.05 Badges Cavalry scouts 1st class with bar, 2nd class without bar, gilding metal
15.3.05 Badges scouts cavalry to be worn full dress Date uncertain
3.7.07 Badges Scouts gilding metal, 1st and 2nd, size reduced
3.7.07 Badges Scouts, reduced size [gm] 1st and 2nd class size reduced, rubbings included.
16.7.07 Badges Scouts, black backing small size .

2. Cavy Drill Manual 1896 ...."ground scouts" employed in reconnoitring the ground"

3. 1897. Scout badge intro. VDG by B-P

4. 1899. "Aids to Scouting" by B-P " badge fleur de lys representing north point compass, one officer per regiment, and eight men per squadron.

5. Clothing Regs 1909 [not mentioned in previous CR] Cavalry and Infantry First class with bar, and also describes the junior version for cavalry but not for infantry. [CR often a bit behind the drag curve and show signs of clerical and admin errors]
Old 01-01-19, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
That is a very odd looking badge, I would think not issued by the Army, but, ertainly not the normal embroidered, worsted type shown in post thirty nine, are any of the other several you mention in post thirty eight, of the embroidered type?
It is unusual, both the khaki fabric and the white fabric, ("4x2" rifle cleaning flannelette?) being raw edged, the whole quite homemade and amateurish but detail on the white FdL is machine stitched which seems an unexpected detail to what really is a rough and ready little badge.
I'm wondering now given its size and general appearance if it is a representation of of the 47th Division's snipers badge rather than of the Scout's badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181203_0002~2.jpg (14.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181203_0003~2.jpg (15.0 KB, 17 views)

Tags
scout badge, wiltshire yeomanry