British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-06-21, 03:21 AM

Default Badges/Patches for a CD Ambulance Driver?

I recently picked up an Ambulance title that I thought matched a picture I have of one for a VAD Ambulance Driver. But when I got it, it seems more yellow than the one I am trying to match, so assume it is a CD Ambulance Driver's title.

Here is the one I got. The lettering is more yellow than it shows.

Here is what I was using as my guide. This was an ID'd grouping, that I found, on the net for a VAD ambulance driver.

What do you all think?

if it is a CD title only, then what badges and patches would I want for a CD Ambulance Driver?

As always, thnaks for nay help or thoughts,

Terry
Old 29-06-21, 04:55 AM

This is how I think it was?

The lapel badge is post 1949 CD re-launch and I'm pretty sure your "Ambulance" title is as well?

VAD were Red Cross organisation which during wartime is combined with St Johns and not part of the government ARP/Civil Defence organisation but you could be in both?

There is a "Driver" title which I think is wartime only, its possible that's what you need?

And the "Ambulance" title also appeared on ambulance drivers in one of the carry on movies but I suspect that was just artistic licence from the costume department.

This is an interesting question and I look forward to being corrected.

Rob
Old 29-06-21, 05:01 AM

Here is a previous thread with some probable WW2 "Ambulance" titles.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...mbulance+civil

Rob
Old 29-06-21, 12:30 PM

All these badges are post-war 1950s-60s Civil Defence Corps, not WW2, with the *possible* exception of the VAD badge.
Old 29-06-21, 02:14 PM

Here's a quite scare photo of an ambulance driver wearing a "DRIVER" patch on their ARP Pattern 71 tunic. They would have had the old gold AMBULANCE shoulder titles. As far as my research goes the DRIVER badge was unofficial but all sorts of oddities and personalisation went on within the Civil Defence Services during the war.

https://www.ww2civildefence.co.uk/bl...-cwmparc-wales
Old 29-06-21, 03:12 PM

Thank you everyone for the replies. It is very helpful, and wehn I went back and looked at the entire grouping it appears to be post war, and the photo shows her in a CD uniform with hte Amulance title on her shoulder and a CD patch on her left chest. The certificates seem to all be dated after he war as well. Perhaps the VAD patch was one she wore dueing the war and after the war joined the CD.

Here are the other pictures of the grouping I got from the net, and apologize if they belong to anyone on the forum. I downloaded them strictly for reference.

I had not even noticed the CD badge in the photo before, so again gentlemen, very helpful. Looks like all I need to look for is a post war CD patch.

Terry