British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-02-15, 09:33 PM

Default Early CAF Collar

Posting a picture of an early CAF collar... rear attachment was originally a single screw post? The stub still seems to be there. Size is approx 30mm height
Comments always welcomed... Jim
Old 24-02-15, 09:35 PM

Old 24-02-15, 09:38 PM

Old 24-02-15, 10:05 PM

Default 1st issue CAF Collar

Nice badge Jim. It appears to be a proper 1st issue (without motto). I haven't seen one with black material in the crown so I can't comment on that but the ribbed material looks similar in design to the Officers badge of this era which normally has red in the crown. This could be an NCO issue. The back looks good and original. Too bad the fastener is broken but the officers issue of this collar had a single threaded post with nut.
Does the "CAF" sit higher than the wings or is it at the same height? In the replica set of 1967, they were all about the same height but in the originals, the CAF sat out proud of the wings, at least in the ones I've seen.

I'd say it's good.
Old 24-02-15, 11:01 PM

Thanks for the reply... Yes... the CAF is higher than the wings...
Old 05-03-15, 04:02 PM

Default To clean or not to clean

Jim and I did a trade on this collar. I was curious about the material. Was there in fact a different colour for NCO badges of this first issue CAF collar? Officer badges have red in the crown and it was my understanding that NCO issues were always void, at least in the Type 2 collars. These first issue, "Type 1" are so uncommon, that it was possible that one has just never turned up. So, at the risk of destroying the patina and perhaps the badge, I set out to clean it. I removed the silver crown and very carefully, the delicate backing. As you can see from the pics, it was very dirty. The warp threads (about 30/inch) are normally white but even after cleaning are still quite brown. The red of the silk weft does show up so mystery solved. It should be noted that the entire piece of material is only about 5 mm in height. The little piece of material was just left to soak in a mild soap solution (Woolite) for several hours and occasionally agitated.
The remaining bit of the badge was soaked in vinegar mixed with a bit of salt and frequently brushed with a soft old toothbrush over about 3 hours. To clean the tarnish from the silver, a similar solution but with aluminum added did the trick in about 30 minutes. A good rinsing including bicarb to neutralize any remaining acid and a light coat of wax at the end to slow down future oxidation and voila!
There are arguments for leaving old items untouched but in this case, I think I did the right thing.