British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-09-21, 04:49 AM

Default General tips on identifying fakes.

I’m new to collecting badges, and I was wondering if there were any general tips on what to look out for when buying either in person or online. What are some common signs a badge is a fake?
Old 26-09-21, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Rlwhttng, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
There is an encyclopedia of information about fakes on our pages, for your viewing.
Old 26-09-21, 12:48 PM

Welcome to the Forum.
Follow this link for a starter.
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/ma...arks/gaunt.htm
Cheers Tony.
Old 26-09-21, 02:23 PM

Depends on the country, the badge, what metal it's constructed from, how it's made etc.
Old 26-09-21, 02:56 PM

I found this blog about fakes/repros very informative:

https://arnhemjim.blogspot.com/2015/...e-british.html
Old 26-09-21, 03:21 PM

Are badges without visible makers marks always fake?
Old 26-09-21, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Not at all. Fakes and real ones can be made with or without makers' marks.
Old 07-10-21, 01:46 PM

Default cap badges

Hi. Like you i am new to the Forum. I have been interested in militaria since the early 1970s. Over the years i have conversed with many very knowledgeable British military badge collectors at various Arms and Armour fairs. Unfortunately many are no longer with us. Dixon Pickup is still with us or he was just before Covid struck. Anyway, here are the 'Pearls of Wisdom.' I can remember from my conversations. Pertaining to cap badges.They do not mean that a badge that has some, all or none of these of these observations is genuine or a duffer. They are meant to just lead you in the right direction. On British cap badges loops should appear to be growing out of the back of the badge. That is no feet. Look for the horizontal slash at the top of the slider. On Victorian/Edwardian cap badges the loops should have a dark or black patina. Brass is a soft metal but exposure to the elements makes it brital feeling the slider will tell you how brital the badge is. Look for polishing wear on the highpoints. You may need an eye glass but genuine issued badges will have this polishing wear. Look for blow holes on bi-metal badges but beware of round holes some may have been produced with a drill. A very good sign is dried yellow flux running over the rear of the badge from the base of the lugs or slider. Hold the rear of the badge up to a mirror if you can clearly read the legend that is on the front of the badge it is a good stamping. I am not an expert on British cap badges and i will still need advise from these very knowledgeable collectors on this site. Please remember that to ask for help and advise is not a sign of weakness I hope you find these observations useful. Army -vet.