British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-07-21, 01:16 PM

Default Another Space Operations patch

I have a different Space Ops patch in my possession. I also have the one previously shown but this is on a MTP blanking patch. Both are the same size.

I have seen a photo of the one on the Blanking patch being worn operationally but not the other.

It will be interesting to see an actual image of the Brevet that started this thread being worn.

Regards
Old 31-07-21, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasaraftype View Post
It will be interesting to see an actual image of the Brevet that started this thread being worn.
According to the BBC eight of them were presented at the openong ceremony on Thursday.

Quote:
He was speaking after presenting the first eight Space Command personnel with new Space Operator badges, at the opening ceremony on Thursday.

Six members of the RAF received the badge, as well as a British Army officer, and an exchange officer from the United States.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58029083

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 31-07-21, 02:48 PM

To infinity and beyond.....
Andy
Old 31-07-21, 07:11 PM

For qualified personnel.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0676.jpg (96.2 KB, 56 views)
Old 25-08-21, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Out of interest is this wing only worn by aircrew?

Is it only worn by Officers, Warrant Officers and SNCO's.
The wing, officially called the 'Space Operators Badge', is worn by non aircrew Officers and NCO's, and can be awarded to all three services as well as others. Eight were initially awarded, six to the RAF, one to a British Army Captain Ammunition Technical Officer and one to a USAF Officer on exchange, and were presented by the Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Sir Mike Wigston. Others have been presented since.

The Army officer, Captain Andrew Thompson-Burt has already worked as the Operations Officer for a year. Those awarded the badge effectively monitor space for anything that might be considered a threat to personnel or operations, or to the UK itself. Although it falls under the RAF the Space Operator role isn't an aircrew one, so its a wonder why an aircrew badge was designed for it.

The new wing is slightly larger than conventional RAF Aircrew wings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E7j-vsMWUAAoqpN.jpg (44.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg E7j-vsNX0AAXPjT.jpg (43.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg E7j_DQ8XMAITyvO.jpeg.jpg (63.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 20210825_154353.jpg (74.9 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Padre; 25-08-21 at 03:28 PM.
Old 25-08-21, 03:13 PM

Quote:
For qualified personnel.

Chris
The first Qualified Warfare Instructor badge has just been awarded to an Army officer, Major Bob Atchison of the Queens Royal Hussars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0676.jpg (96.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-09-21, 05:38 PM

One of the wings currently up for sale on ebay. I don't know if it's good or bad.
Old 05-01-22, 04:05 PM

As the actual designer of the space operators’ badge then I thought I would ‘chip in’ with a few real facts.

I was tasked to look at a badge to replace the USAF one worn by qualified UK Service personnel at Buckley AFB, RAF Fylingdales, Vandenburg AFB and the UK Space Ops Centre. That was back in 2018.

The design brief was for something that looked like it belonged in HM Forces. It would be worn on the left breast in a similar manner to the RAF and Army flying badges - but it must be distinguishable from a flying badge when observed up close or side by side. So, I set to work on it, mostly in my spare time (the final design was constructed on the sofa on my MacBook in my lounge - not very Blake’s 7!). Various designs were made - 2 wings, single wing, ones with solar arrays for wings, sci-fi looking wings, modern fonts, legacy fonts, etc…etc… The final design decided was taken from the brief from the senior leaders - “develop the single wing design as a nod to the past to ensure that that it is seen as unmistakably part of HM Forces”. So, I designed the following with a blue wreath (to match the blue colour of the solar panels on space craft), with the ubiquitous ’delta’ logo (more on that in a second), a star constellation, an orbit and finally with silver-grey embellishments and wing - to make it look different and also tip the nod to the polished alloy used on spacecraft. This was the submission:

The more astute amongst you will notice that the badge’s star constellation is different to the final version shared earlier in this forum thread. I chose AQUILA ‘The Eagle’ originally, but the seniors thought it was too busy, so they chose ARIES ‘The Ram’. You can see the simpler constellation in the this picture.

So that was it, a badge was born for the new Space Command. Uniform regulations have been changed too, noting that Aircrew that qualify for the badge should wear it in lieu of their normal flying badge if they are operating in a Space Operators’ capacity, however, on being posted away, they may choose to wear their flying badge or the space badge should they wish. Further, this is not an Astronaut’s badge, we don’t have one (certainly not yet), so any Aircrew going into space as an Astronaut would currently wear their flying badge - just as Tim Peake wore his Army Flying Badge and Dave McKay wears his RAF Pilot’s Flying Badge on Spaceship Two.

So what about Star Trek?

That is a myth. The origin of the delta logo goes back to 46 Squadron Royal Air Force who had the delta arrow head logo on their heraldic badge (approved in 1937) and it was used on their aircraft in the more familiar form in 1954 - on their Gloster Meteors.

However, that particular delta logo was also being used in the USAF too - well before Gene Roddenberry used it for his writing of the Star Trek series in 1964. These badges were in use with that familiar Star Trek theme some 3-5 years before Roddenberry even began writing in 1964 for his 1966 series (which wasn’t that popular initially either).

So, the connection to space is not just military and NASA brought together their own logo in 1959. The familiar delta shape is on that too. It went on to be synonymous with space agencies worldwide too. Further, the delta logo is effectively the NATO standard now too, with many nations using it.

So Star Trek? No, they ripped it off from us. So make sure you use your encyclopaedic knowledge on this matter now!

Finally, for the collectors amongst you, then you can buy it from Windsor Medals as they have reproduced them from the original designs that I made. They also have all of the other recent designs too:
https://www.windsormedals.com/RAF_Nu...p/rafspec9.htm

By the way - it is not a ‘brevet’ either - that is a certificate, diploma or licence. Here is a current ‘Brevet de Base de Pilote d’Avions”, ie. a Pilots’ Licence here:

Please help me stamp out that ‘brevet’ myth/error too - I have a hard enough job correcting serving personnel making that error (it’ll cost them 50p to charity in our office if the dreaded ‘B-Word’ is mentioned!). They have always been badges or flying badges in King’s and Queen’s Orders and the Regulations (KRs and QRs). Currently QR206, QRJ 727, QRJ 728 and QRJ 729.

Last edited by Gaznav; 05-01-22 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-01-22, 04:27 PM

Thanks Gaznav, very interesting.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 05-01-22, 04:35 PM

I cannot help posting this after reading through this thread. I suspect at sometime in the future far, far away this command will be a norm. But until then there is this.

OK, I'll crawl back under my rock now!

Terry
Old 05-01-22, 05:14 PM

Terry - I like it

Of course the sci-fi folks have thought this one out

Quote:
In the X-Wing novels, Rebel fighters all had ejection systems that blasts the pilot themselves out away from the ship. The flight suit has a miniaturized magnetic containment field that protects the pilot, but only for a short time. Before long it can't keep out the cold and with limited power it eventually fails all together. Hopefully in that time someone has come to pick you up.
Old 05-01-22, 06:41 PM

Thank you Gaznav.
It is indeed interesting.
I hope you haven't taken offense to the banter, as ex Army I do love to rib the RAF.
It's really interesting to see the thought process into a badge, many thanks for that.
I must have a look at this unit, one I've not really come across, What personnel are in the unit, What is its break down please?
Cheers
Chris
Old 05-01-22, 06:42 PM

US Space Force flag
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1280px-Flag_of_the_United_States_Space_Force.svg.jpg (28.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-01-22, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dg View Post
Thank you Gaznav.
It is indeed interesting.
I hope you haven't taken offense to the banter, as ex Army I do love to rib the RAF.
It's really interesting to see the thought process into a badge, many thanks for that.
I must have a look at this unit, one I've not really come across, What personnel are in the unit, What is its break down please?
Cheers
Chris
Hi Chris

Not at all - good banter is healthy

The unit is Space Command for UK Forces - it is Tri-Service but an RAF lead (a bit like JHC is for the Army). However, there are personnel outside of just Space Command that can qualify for the badge. We have personnel at RAF Fylingdales, Buckley AFB and Vandenburg AFB that are in posts that also qualify for the badge.

The UK Space Ops’ Badge replaces the one worn by our troops from the USAF. Here is a link to a previous award: https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/articles...space-command/

Best, Gaz
Old 07-01-22, 02:45 PM

Quote: Here is a link to a previous award: https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/articles...space-command/

For those who have a small screen.

Of course the badge has the usual 3 grades, Basic, Senior (star above) and Master (Star in Wreath above).

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:26 PM.