British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-06-21, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobD View Post
May I enquire: Can something which is made by hand in 1944 always reliably be distinguished from one made by hand in 2021?
It seems to me that, in the case of this object, everything depends on the "aged look" of the thing.
"As any fule kno", for example, sunbathing ages collagen in skin or leather. So I am asking whether there are processes which accelerate the ageing of threads and cloth, and whether a price tag like this encourages / guarantees a cottage industry in fakes?
I think you raise an excellent point.

I’m sure it would be possible to find a skilled sewer, source natural fibres and produce something very similar with plenty of change from £2.3k.

I think when there’s no real accepted standard pattern or manufacture method (other than handmade) it’s an area of the hobby which is open to exploitation by the unscrupulous, especially with such sums being exchanged.

None of that is meant as a comment on the authenticity of the badge in the OP.

Sometimes I think metal badge collecting is a doddle compared to things like this…
Old 23-06-21, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobD View Post
May I enquire: Can something which is made by hand in 1944 always reliably be distinguished from one made by hand in 2021?
It seems to me that, in the case of this object, everything depends on the "aged look" of the thing.
"As any fule kno", for example, sunbathing ages collagen in skin or leather. So I am asking whether there are processes which accelerate the ageing of threads and cloth, and whether a price tag like this encourages / guarantees a cottage industry in fakes?
Got to love a Molesworth quote...that certainly dates you ....

PL
Old 23-06-21, 07:43 PM

Guys, thanks for your observations. I think that JDR and the underbidder are both left in awe and will reconsider such bidding practice in the future.

The seller Martin Fuller, ebay and Paypal however are laughing all the way to the bank.

@Rob, I'm currently not too impressed of replica cloth insignia but if 2.3k becomes the norm I'm sure the quality is going to improve.
Old 24-06-21, 12:47 AM

Does JDR own Chairborne or do I have my wires crossed?
Old 24-06-21, 04:48 AM

Yes, he does.
Old 24-06-21, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Yes, he does.
Thanks.
Old 25-06-21, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeochil View Post
Does JDR own Chairborne or do I have my wires crossed?
It appears to be a family business; his mum uses the same business seller information with his dad's email address.
Old 26-06-21, 08:08 AM

Hi Luc
I’m a little confused with the Mum reference mate as it takes me to a page with a gentleman on.
Hope this finds you well mate
Jon
Old 26-06-21, 08:35 AM

Maybe 'Mum' is the one in the frog costume?
Old 26-06-21, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JON188 View Post
Hi Luc
I’m a little confused with the Mum reference mate as it takes me to a page with a gentleman on.
Hope this finds you well mate
Jon
Click on "Business Info".

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 26-06-21, 05:05 PM

There seams to be a ` tone` setting in on here towards J.D.R if ...... he is the winning bidder then F&&kING good luck to him he wanted the wing he had the cash so he bid AND won what`s the bloody issue ???? please remember there was an under bidder that means TWO people were willing to drop two grand on a bit o` cloth Jack is fortunate to have the funds to do this ,I have just put a bid of four grand to a family for their grandmothers old battledress and service dress uniform in an old tatty case is it worth four grand - No - but I want it so be it

Last edited by NEMO; 28-06-21 at 08:13 AM.
Old 26-06-21, 05:27 PM

Default £4k

Bloody hell pal
I told them I’d give them £6k ;-)
You are right of course.
It doesn’t matter what someone’s willing to pay mate.
I’ve paid over the odds for something I really want but others probably wouldn’t pay - but then again not many people have a penchant for Dwarf crack whores dressed as Ewoks wearing WW2 SAS gear?
Or maybe they do!
Old 26-06-21, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMO View Post
There seams to be a ` tone` setting in on here towards J.D.R if ...... he is the winning bidder then F&&kING good luck to him he wanted the wing he had the cash so he bid AND won what`s the bloody issue ???? please remember the under bidder that means TWO people were willing to drop two grand on a bit o` cloth Jack is fortunate to have the funds to do this ,I have just put a bid of four grand to a family for their grandmothers old battledress and service dress uniform in an old tatty case is it worth four grand - No - but I want it so be it
Well said - some of the comments are dismaying. In my collecting life I have set four world records which dealers crow about on their sites with 'new world record' announcements. One item was 4 Independent Company for which I have since been offered double, another was D Troop 3 Commando where I know subsequent private sales were benchmarked at the price I paid, Yet another was 2 SBS enamel badge - accompanied by piles of paperwork which tied together 7 or 8 items in the same group (to G Barnes MM and Bar) adding fantastic context to the group. I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth, worked like hell to build a career, and had to save to make such purchases. Collecting and conducting piles of research was my chosen priority in life. My interest being genuine Commando insignia of WW2. Why do I do it ... because it is a huge part of my life which I enjoy. I hope we all enjoy our hobby as much as I do ... I always pay good prices if offered anything, as I hope I will be offered other things and that the seller will be happy parting with something which is fairly unique. Prices really are a matter of personal choice within a free market. No criticism intended, BUT sharing my own perspective on the matter of 'VALUE' and 'PRICE' - two different things. All the best - Mike
Old 26-06-21, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMO View Post
There seams to be a ` tone` setting in on here towards J.D.R if ...... he is the winning bidder then F&&kING good luck to him he wanted the wing he had the cash so he bid AND won what`s the bloody issue ???? please remember the under bidder that means TWO people were willing to drop two grand on a bit o` cloth Jack is fortunate to have the funds to do this ,I have just put a bid of four grand to a family for their grandmothers old battledress and service dress uniform in an old tatty case is it worth four grand - No - but I want it so be it
I don’t think there seems to be a ‘tone’ set towards JDR being the ‘winning bidder’ or see that anyone has an issue with it?

Ultimately the reason and wisdom of the bids still remains to be seen.

The topic and whole point of the thread was a discussion why those particular wings sold for around x10 the expected amount. A valid question.

From popskipa’s post I suspect the likely reason is there was the belief by the winner and underbidder they’re Force 136 wings. Whether they are or not is a question for the experts/researchers and without such knowledge or overt provenance it is understandable it’s fostered discussion.

Hopefully something else on these will come to light and elucidate the matter further.

I do however think post #24 is completely pointless and in potentially poor taste.
Old 26-06-21, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
I don’t think there seems to be a ‘tone’ set towards JDR being the ‘winning bidder’ or see that anyone has an issue with it?

Ultimately the reason and wisdom of the bids still remains to be seen.

The topic and whole point of the thread was a discussion why those particular wings sold for around x10 the expected amount. A valid question.

From popskipa’s post I suspect the likely reason is there was the belief by the winner and underbidder they’re Force 136 wings. Whether they are or not is a question for the experts/researchers and without such knowledge or overt provenance it is understandable it’s fostered discussion.

Hopefully something else on these will come to light and elucidate the matter further.

I do however think post #24 is completely pointless and in potentially poor taste.
Yes, i have to agree with you there.
Andy