British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-09-21, 01:00 AM

By all means give another identification for the bar underneath an Air Force eagle with attached crown.

Either way, it cant be stated it's a 70s fantasy badge.
Old 14-09-21, 03:23 AM

My original thoughts of it being a sweetheart pin, are most assuredly wrong at this point. After Padre posted his info I decided to do some checking.

In David parsons' excellent book on RAF badges and uniforms - "Badges, Emblems and Uniforms of the Royal Air Force and Associated Associations", he shows two pictures of WRAFs wearing what also appear to be the pin, and makes comment ot that effect, bottom of page 51. Also, on page 603 he shows numerous versions of the badge, and again makes mention of it most likely being a WRAF badge. He further states that as the badge has lugs it is most likely a cap/uniform badge and less likely a sweetheart pin.

Perhaps not 100% finite, but seems very viable in my mind.

Terry
Old 18-09-21, 09:30 AM

I found this swagger stick that was sold I has the same insignia

T

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-l...5-c-8154ff1b86
Old 18-09-21, 10:38 AM

Many 'swagger sticks' and 'pace sticks' are reproduced as they can be fairly cheap, and are decorative. The photos (without setting up an account to log in) are rather small but from what I can see it looks to be a quality made item, and may also be a 'sword stick' (which is a blade attached that can be drawn). If so it would give more credence to it being a period item, and that the crown/eagle/RAF was in use at the time.

Good spot!
Old 18-09-21, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
By all means give another identification for the bar underneath an Air Force eagle with attached crown.

Either way, it cant be stated it's a 70s fantasy badge.
My point was I don’t think you can categorically state it’s a tablet or bar as you call it. It might just be a tail.

Dave’s book shows a crowned Eagle worn by the WAAF on the FS cap. It could be something similar to this.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ctureid=170810
Old 18-09-21, 05:52 PM

Well the lower area is clearly wider than the crown on top of the eagle, is squared off at the base and near side and is clearly a block of some sort, all ruling out a tail, which is more of a triangular shape, tapering up towards the body. The base is usually curved too, often with a small inverted 'V' in the centre. It also extends far lower than the eagle shown on the page from the book, which is clearly noted as a WW2 WAAF badge, not a WW1 WRAF badge. That badge isn't specifically WAAF badge but a theatre made sand cast eagle and crown as worn by male and female officers on the field service cap and beret. I have such examples from their original owners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wraf.jpg (33.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 19-09-21, 06:56 AM

That is interesting as the example I have is sand-cast!
Old 19-09-21, 09:27 AM

Hope these help

T X
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210919_110210.jpg (69.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20210919_110246.jpg (22.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20210919_110225.jpg (32.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 19-09-21, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
That is interesting as the example I have is sand-cast!
I don't know how common sand cast badges were in WW1, if at all. In the case of the original Women's Royal Air Force (WRAF), it was only in existence from 1918 to 1920, and none served abroad (at least not in the middle or far east) and so the likelihood of any theatre made badges to them is very unlikely.

However, the Royal Air Force did of course serve in those areas from the 1920s on and particularly in WW2 sand cast and cloth theatre-made items are not uncommon. I have sand cast cap badges (of Airman pattern) to the RAF, RCAF, RNZAF, RAAF, SRAF and SAAF, as well as other badges such as Chaplain, Medic and Dental collar badges, Bomb Disposal etc.

If you have one of the badges with the 'R.A.F.' tab underneath and it is sand cast it may well be genuine, worn by RAF (as opposed to WRAF) for a reason we dont know.
Old 19-09-21, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarabelle View Post
Hope these help

T X
Thank you, that is superb!

It certainly seems to be a well made item, probably of the period, and not a far east (or even British) made decorative item. The interesting thing is that the badge seems to be part of the knob handle, with the same ageing and patina (and some wear) rather than having been added later, which would indicate it was all made together of course. It still doesn't pin down the actual use/identity of the badge exactly, but I think it lends a lot of weight to it having been around at that time in some form.
Old 19-09-21, 05:57 PM

Talking

Clearly we are all wrong, it’s a Pathfinders badge

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164754374...oAAOSw0BJgSp7H
Old 20-09-21, 07:17 AM

I will take photos and post them when I get a chance.