British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-07-18, 03:51 AM

Default Early parachute qualification wings?

I recently found these wings in a parachute regiment battledress pocket, and seek opinions. They look legit to me, but I'm curious about when or where they might have been worn. I'm familiar with the black-backed Indian wings, and don't think these match, plus the owner of the blouse had no Indian unit service. The blouse is dated December 1943, and is missing the wings that were once attached. Is it possible that at that date the officer could have been wearing these wings?
Thanks in advance,
Burton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (109.2 KB, 111 views)
Old 13-07-18, 03:54 AM

The system doesn't like my upright picture! I will upload a pic of the back when I get a chance. It is plain stitching with no cloth covering.
Old 13-07-18, 07:33 AM

Was the BD owner in S.O.E.? Do you have his name?

What other insignia is on the BD?

Keith
Old 13-07-18, 07:42 AM

There are many different theories on why these wings were produced in black and who wore them

We know No 2 Commando wore black wings and we know there is a possible SOE connection but there’s no proof to back the latter theory up as no photographs exist showing this wing being worn by SOE

I honestly believe these were another early wing type or manufacturers variation, as simple as that
Old 13-07-18, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popskipa View Post
Was the BD owner in S.O.E.? Do you have his name?

What other insignia is on the BD?

Keith
Hi chaps,
No, no SOE or commando service, just 7th Bn parachute regjment. His green loops are the only surviving insignia on the blouse. He did service in SE Asia after the war judging by his GSM though.
Old 13-07-18, 09:58 PM

Default Para Wings and RSR

It may prove beneficial if the left hand of the forum turned around and shook the right hand. See the following recent (today 13 July 2018) thread on the Raiding Support Regiment (RSR) and black background parachute brevets; https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=68792 Should specifically qualify that the similarity between brevets is only the black background, not the detail/color of the wings, or anything about the backing.
Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory

Last edited by Arnhemjim; 14-07-18 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 14-07-18, 12:38 AM

As interesting as that thread is, the wings are slightly different and his service is completely different to my chap. I don't think we can draw too many conclusions from the comparison. I would however be interested if he wore the black wings right up to the end of the war.
Old 14-07-18, 04:37 AM

As a collector with a great interest in WW2 parachute wings I would concur with Jack and highlight that nearly every WW2 para wing can be found with a black or brown backing and have concluded that this is just a slight manufacturing difference and not an indication of a special operational Unit / status.

Standing-by for everyone to sell me their black backed wings!

Paul
Old 14-07-18, 03:47 PM

At the risk of muddying the waters what about blue backed wings, clearly British made and not the Indian Airborne style?

Examples can be found in a wartime National Archives file which suggests they were a mystery even then.

Jon
Old 14-07-18, 04:22 PM

Hi Jon,

The consensus seems to be that blue backed wings were not worn during the war.

Noting the countless number of parachute qualified airforce personnel, however, it's only reasonable to assume that wings were made for wear on the blue uniform.

Attached is a photo of a blue backed wing showing all the attributes of a WW2 wing.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg No 8..jpg (68.0 KB, 33 views)
Old 14-07-18, 06:26 PM

Interesting. There is much evidence (again in the National Archives) that the RAF did not have a wartime wing and refused permission for parachute trained personnel (of which there were few) to wear a wing of any sort.

The RAF did not get its own wing until the 1960s. I have some documentary evidence of all this which I will dig out.

Jon
Old 15-07-18, 12:30 AM

Am l to assume that the blue backed wing is different from my black backed wing, which otherwise is identical to the very early wings, just with a black backing instead of khaki?
Old 15-07-18, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
At the risk of muddying the waters what about blue backed wings, clearly British made and not the Indian Airborne style?

Examples can be found in a wartime National Archives file which suggests they were a mystery even then.

Jon
I believe so, yes. The Indian wings are quite distinct in the parachute details.