British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-03-08, 02:27 AM

Default Rough Riders

I'm a little out of my league with this one. This badge has been beaten up pretty badly. The face is dented and the bimetal center looks to have been melted. The slider looks to have been replaced? Someone went wild with a repair and melted the front? Is it original? Any comments would be appreciated.

Old 28-03-08, 06:09 AM

from my grand father collection.....

slider broken

for me (but wasn't an expert ....) your badge seem not pretty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04717.JPG (36.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04718.JPG (34.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04719.JPG (31.0 KB, 84 views)
Old 28-03-08, 06:45 AM

Hi Jim,

I'm no expert at all so someone with greater knowledge than me is more than welcome to shoot me down in flames if I'm chatting rubbish but I can't believe you badge is real simply from a quality point of view... no disrespect but its fairly poorly struck with more braze spilt across it than one would need to make four badges of that type, the slider has on of those poor vertical cut lines which I always believe is bad. I can't believe a badge like that would pass quality control let alone be issued.

Cheers,

Luke

Jeanpit your badge looks lovely shame about the slider being broken
Old 28-03-08, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

The vertically cut slider is found on a number of older badges and I am 80-20% confident that they are just poor quality rather than repro. The badge itself looks fine except for the central insert which has clealry been badly put together. It looks like the use of too much braze has obscured the detail rather than melted the badge. The remainder of the badge is well struck and the actual methods of 4 tages to attach the insert is right. I would be more optimistic and say it is a poorly made one rather than repro. Q/C 80 years ago was not what you expect today.

Jean Pits one shows the backing plate that you also find on the older lugs ones but the slidered (presumably later) examples tend not to have the plate.

One as a gap filler until a better example comes along.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 28-03-08 at 08:02 AM. Reason: sp
Old 28-03-08, 09:04 AM
Badge Guru

Ive never handled an original before but I am one of those people who is fussy about braising, it seams to be all the repros have sloppy braising. Badge collecting John from Nottingham taught me that. That guy is the premier collector of the east midlands I do hope he finds the forum one day.

Paul has one in stock on his web site at the moment.

If you want to get your money back on it drop me a PM, I assume you paid a lot less than 30 pounds for it?

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 28-03-08 at 09:06 AM.
Old 28-03-08, 09:26 AM

My own opinions are in line with Alan's ,except would add that it is more likely a very bad repair attempt by a previous collector/owner ? Then dip cleaned ?
If it was a melt, then the back would have been proportionally affected ?
Besides the heat required to do that would be far, far hotter than needed to affect a repair & completely ruined the attachment clip,etc in the process.
You could try getting it cleaned up & re-repaired ? The heat required to remove the excess should not ruin the centre here!
Cheers !
Steve

Last edited by dragonz18; 28-03-08 at 09:30 AM.
Old 28-03-08, 02:18 PM

Smile Rough Riders

I have had two of these in the past which have had loops.The central device is correct apart from an excess of braze which has run over on the face. I would say it is an unissued badge, probably due to poor workmanship or a reject. I have a Royal Scots that has been mis-struck which I have owned for over 50 years, Alan is correct about quality control, not always implicated.
Old 28-03-08, 03:55 PM

Thanks for all the input. This is a case where a person learns alot. I don't know if I should attemt to remove the excess braize myself or leave it as is. I'm going to keep it ... maybe as an example of a reject. It's better to have a Rough Rider badge in bad shape than none at all. They are a rarer yeomanry badge aren't they? Besides ... I'm from Saskatchewan.. home of the CFL Grey Cup champions... the Saskatchewan Roughriders!!!!
Old 28-03-08, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Jim,
They are one of the rarer Yeomanry ones both becase of the presitige of the Regt making them desirable (the name alone gives them a bit of panache) and the fact that they changed their badge serveral times over 70 years.

The badge you have is the post1908 type worn in the cap but was so big that when Regiment wore its collar badges in their berets in WW2 as the original one you have was too cumbersome. After WW2 they adopted a smaller badge - I have an exampe shown below which I only recently bought having looked for one for some years without success. They finally had an anodised aluminium version with a Q/C shown as well. I have a spare one of the a/a versions if anyone needs one.

Despite the braze flaws I would still hang on to your badge as all types are very desireable and quite scarce. One of the WW1 types that you have would fetch about £30-40 here in UK.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 938f_1.jpg (29.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 133a_2.jpg (7.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 28-03-08, 07:33 PM

just a couple of points gents.i served with the inns of court and city yeomanry,and have spent many an idle hour in the museum.of all the examples ihave seen and handled this badge dosnt come up to standard.that said it could be an unissued badly made example.i doubt it was worn as the roughs were very particular.as for the a/a version,which i have a copy[gaunt]my old sergeant major and friend who was a rough before the amalgamation tells me nobody wore this version,but carried on with the metal king crown.as i said they were a proud and particular mob.hope this helps.phil.
Old 24-05-08, 05:40 AM

I've got a RR with spur behind that is just like the coller except larger cap size
(about 40mm in height) and made of a bronze like metal.It has a large flat backing plate that seems nicely aged and I'm guessing it is WW1 era.Is this an excepted RR badge or a fantasy?
sorry no pics to show I'll try and see if the scanner works one day soon.

thanks
Glenn.
Old 24-05-08, 06:29 AM

Default Roughriders.

Glenn,
40mm in height sounds like it could possibly be the NCO's arm badge, though I'm not sure why it would be all in a bronze like metal. The one below is as you can see in bi-metal (Brass and Nickel). If the spur is the opposite way to this one shown, it will be the Imperial Yeomanry cap badge, though still being all bronze is a puzzler as K&K make no reference to the badge being in this metal. The only mention of the badge in all one metal is: All gilding metal and all hollow gilding metal, lead filled with three wire fasteners. Otherwise it should be Silver & gilt for officer's.
STM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rough%20Riders%20NCO%20arm%20badge.jpg (31.3 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Saddle tree maker; 24-05-08 at 07:26 AM.
Old 24-05-08, 07:16 AM

yes thats why I ask.
It looks exactly like the one you posted
Its definately all bronze.
I can send you a scan if you like as I don't know how to put photos onto the forum yet
thanks
Glenn.
Old 24-05-08, 07:36 AM

Well now we know it's not the arm badge, 1 down 3 to go.
Glenn, when posting a reply, if you look at the icon next to the smiley face on the top row, there is another little icon which looks like a microphone.
If you press on that, a box will appear and you just press browse, your pics will come up and then select one and press upload, then just post your message and it should post the pic.
Then we can have a good look at the badge.
STM.
Old 15-06-08, 02:32 PM

The solid bronze sounds like an arm badge indeed. Here's my collar badge and shoulder title.

Tags
city of london, roughriders, yeomanry