British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-12-18, 11:45 AM

Default Lambourne

1) Does anyone know when Lambourne changed their stamp from

LAMBOURNE’S / BIRMINGHAM to LAMBOURNE & Co / BIRMINGHAM
(I assume this is the correct sequence) I tried the London Gazette but to no avail.

2) The 6th (Rifle) TF Bn KLR bugle badge with LAMBOURNE & Co / BIRMINGHAM is quite common.
Has anyone ever seen this badge with LAMBOURNE’S / BIRMINGHAM on ??
I just want to know if it exists.

thanks
J
Old 15-12-18, 02:02 PM

I’ve seen a couple 1916 GM Leinsters with their slider marked ‘Lambourne & Co Birmingham’ and one marked ‘Lambourne’s Birmingham’. Seems both stamps were used at the same time at least at some point 1916-1918.

Lambourne’s https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...inster+economy

Lambourne & Co (post #28) https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...economy&page=2

Cheers,
Luke

Last edited by Luke H; 15-12-18 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Added links
Old 15-12-18, 03:05 PM

Thanks Luke. Others have said that both marks were used at the same time.
In that case WHY were they using different stamps !? I had assumed it as to do with the (legal) status of the company.
Old 15-12-18, 04:02 PM

I’d assumed exactly the same Julian including the order of the Lambourne company names as you suggested. That was until a former member pointed out these Leinsters. It’s certainly a puzzle isn’t it?

I know Nozzer has the most excellent album of Lambourne badges https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=3485 . Maybe inferences can be drawn from marks on some of the badges in there?

Luke
Old 16-12-18, 07:57 AM

Yes I've been chatting to Nozzer about this - he has a great collection.
Old 16-12-18, 05:32 PM

Thank you Gents.

I have been unable to find out anything regarding the difference in makers mark and as I have mentioned to KLR, time is not on my side at the moment.

Martin ('Ticker' Riley) did an excellent thread here, but I am not sure if it mentions dates of change

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ight=lambourne

I had a little dabble on this subject a while back, but didn't get to far

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ight=lambourne

Also, I have in my head that there are two sizes of LAMBOURNE & Co BIRMINGHAM makers marks, but I don't have access to my notes so I could be totally wrong on that.

Last edited by Nozzer; 16-12-18 at 08:42 PM. Reason: awful spelling!
Old 16-12-18, 10:10 PM

I suspect that someone has to go off to Companies House in Cardiff ! (though I believe the company now belongs to MAG MOUCH SOPHOS Limited, Uppingham, Rutland, LE15 9TZ, United Kingdom)
Ticker's research shows that they were contracted by the Board of Trade to make military insignia for the War Office. Their first contract was in May 1915 and their last (during the war) in August 1917.

However, the evidence of the 1916 two (?) Leinster badges is fairly compelling. My two regular (BM) KLR badges of the same die have the two different stamps (KLR Lambourne badges are recognisable a mile away as the 'ground' has a very distinctive 'torpedo' shape - I'll post a 'photo later).
Old 17-12-18, 05:17 PM

Default Lambourne

Not just the Leinster...

Looking at Nozzers excellent album I found at least three more (Inniskilling, DCLI and Bedfordshire) where he has examples with Lambourne & Co and I have the same badges with Lambourne's.

I think the assumption that they were used at the same time is proven, even if we don't know why...

Best regards,

Tim
Old 17-12-18, 07:03 PM

Thanks Tim, the growing consensus is that both stamps were used at the same time on identical dies. I now know that 5th TF Bn KLR has both stamps on identical dies (though the sliders vary in length).
I still don't know if there was a LAMBOURNE'S BIRMINGHAM used on 6th TF Bn KLR.
(To both queries we still don't know why !)

Incidentally, there would not be any Lambourne stamps on WM KLR badges - as the 7th TF Bn KLR did not survive the WO 1915 'rationalisation' on which badges were sanctioned.
Old 17-12-18, 07:09 PM

I also have Norfolk Regiment cap badges with both LAMBOURNE'S and LAMBOURNE & Co on the shank.

What about the plates that can be found on the back of some badges? they can be found with both LAMBOURNE'S and LAMBOURNE & Co as well.

Lambourne also made shoulder titles and two that I have are from a relatively short time period. The Army Pay Corps is marked LAMBOURNE & Co and the Machine Gun Corps is marked LAMBOURNE'S.

Nothing conclusive I'm afraid, but all food for thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
I have in my head that there are two sizes of LAMBOURNE & Co BIRMINGHAM makers marks, but I don't have access to my notes so I could be totally wrong on that.
I have checked and and there is a 10mm mark and a 11mm mark.