British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-11-18, 08:34 AM

Yes indeed, but, you really could make up a belt of original badges for very little, it really does not have to cost a fortune, whilst on holiday in Wales last month, I walked into a very small antiques fair and one stall holder had a small display of common badges, almost all were "old" circa Great War, mainly Corps and a little Infantry, but, what I noted was simply that there did not appear to be a single duff badge on that table, prices being sought seemed to me, to be very little for things that were one hundred years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I couldn't agree more. Anyway, buying and selling duffs through the forum is not allowed any more.
Old 27-11-18, 08:44 AM

I think it’s already been established the badges aren’t exactly desirable, however:

The 24th Lancers badge is what I call the “mitre fake,” due to the spurious crown design. This example and the flange fake are the more obvious of the “non-restrike” repoduction attempts.

As to the 23rd Hussars, this looks to be of the Gaunt restrike category; you had the initial restrikes in the early 1970s, then generations of offshoots that have subsequently surfaced over the years, too.

Basically, the genuine Gaunt 23H ORs have two period slider versions (to my knowledge), this certainly isn’t one of those. The lack of breathing-holes (it is known for some fakes to have these drilled) is another indication, as is the crown shape in addition - restrikes proper have the officers’ badge crown overlay, which is obviously incorrect for the ORs, then the further crappy derivatives have poor imitations of a nondescript crown.

Best,

Marcus
Old 27-11-18, 08:58 AM

Cool Fakes and restrikes

I would like to see forum members join together and produce a publication on fakes and restrikes, it would probably end up the size of K&K Volume 1, but I think it would be a great asset to collectors both now and in the future.

Rob

Last edited by Sonofacqms; 28-11-18 at 09:23 AM.