British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-01-20, 08:29 PM

Default Welsh Guards

Welsh Guards anodised aluminium leek with metal slider and rivet, acquired today. Could anyone put a date on it please.
Andy

Old 08-01-20, 12:30 AM

Andy, I would suggest early 1960's with the Gaunt London mark, generally thought to be earlier than the Birmingham mark. Mine attached for comparison.

The brass slider used on the anodised badge by Gaunt, is also seen on The Queens Regt - Gaunt Bham. As The Queens Regiment came into being in 1966, it would be reasonably safe to assume the Welsh Guards example may be slightly earlier, albeit a couple of years.

Also found on the Royal Engineets and REME cap badges by Gaunt, but the Welsh Guards I believe is the only 'folded over' and riveted brass slider by Gaunt, the others are as the Queens Regt attached.

Grove also used the brass and riveted slider (or whichever term you wish to use) who also favoured the folded over design - seen on some early infantry regiment cap badges and the first pattern Army Catering Corps.

Hope that helps.

Bess
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200107_235424.jpg (58.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20200108_000649.jpg (55.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 08-01-20, 08:35 AM

Very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Andy, I would suggest early 1960's with the Gaunt London mark, generally thought to be earlier than the Birmingham mark. Mine attached for comparison.

The brass slider used on the anodised badge by Gaunt, is also seen on The Queens Regt - Gaunt Bham. As The Queens Regiment came into being in 1966, it would be reasonably safe to assume the Welsh Guards example may be slightly earlier, albeit a couple of years.

Also found on the Royal Engineets and REME cap badges by Gaunt, but the Welsh Guards I believe is the only 'folded over' and riveted brass slider by Gaunt, the others are as the Queens Regt attached.

Grove also used the brass and riveted slider (or whichever term you wish to use) who also favoured the folded over design - seen on some early infantry regiment cap badges and the first pattern Army Catering Corps.

Hope that helps.

Bess
Old 08-01-20, 02:15 PM

Thanks Frank and. Bess.
Andy
Old 10-01-20, 10:53 AM

Nice early badge Andy

Jerry
Old 10-01-20, 02:56 PM

Thanks Jerry.
Andy