British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-10-16, 10:25 AM

Default Drum Major Frank Kelly and the Pipes and Drums of the Liverpool Irish

With thanks to member Mike B, I have acquired a photograph album which belonged to Frank Kelly who was Drum Major of the Liverpool Irish from 1947 to 1960. At this time the Liverpool Irish had become a Royal Artillery unit.

A picture of the cover of the album is attached which has a Liverpool Irish anodised button on the front.

I will post a few of the photos in the album in the hope that they might be of interest.

At the beginning of the album there is a picture of a very young man holding a bugle and in the uniform of the Kings Liverpool Regiment and I presume that this is Frank.

In the photo immediately below, Frank is wearing a pouch belt that had belonged to a relative who had been a member of the Liverpool Irish Rifle Volunteers and it is the badge on the front of this belt that was copied for wear as a badge by Pipers and Drummers of the Liverpool Irish ( see Gaylor- Military Badge Collecting 1st Edition page 107 )

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3505.jpg (73.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3507.jpg (41.1 KB, 43 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 19-10-16 at 12:24 PM.
Old 19-10-16, 10:33 AM

The next photo is of the Pipes and Drums leading the battalion through the streets of Liverpool ( possibly on the way to a St.Patricks day parade on Lime Street outside St.Georges Hall )

It is interesting to see the tram lines and overhead tram wires, the scene is typical of Liverpool in the post war period before slum clearance got underway. I have been trying to identify the location but with no luck as yet.

I can just make out the sign of 96th AGRA on some sleeves.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 19-10-16, 10:41 AM

Peter,

Lovely pictures. I notice that on either side of him are two pipers each ranking the same as him, either Pipe Majors or Drum Majors. I assume he must have had seniority.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 19-10-16, 10:42 AM

Nice picture of Drum Major and Pipers which I think is out side the old LNWR Hotel in Lime Street ( now student accommodation ) and opposite St.Georges Hall.

The picture shows the Pipe banners which were paid for by Vernon Sangster of Vernons Pools ( Sir Gerard McClellan the CEO of Vernons was an officer of the Liverpool Irish and later C.O.of the unit.

The Pipe Banners ( or at least a number of them ) had the badge of the Liverpool Irish on one side and the badge of one of the disbanded Irish Regiments ( and Vernon Sangsters initials ) on the other side.

P.B.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4508.jpg (83.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4509.jpg (82.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4512.jpg (110.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4515.jpg (51.1 KB, 22 views)

Old 19-10-16, 10:51 AM

Great pictures Peter,
A purchase that fits in nicely with your recent viewing of the banners
Paul
Old 19-10-16, 10:53 AM

Not sure what this photo is all about but the lady is a member of the successor R.A. unit to the Liverpool Rifles as evidenced by her arm badge. The men are wearing cloth Royal Artillery shoulder titles.

P.B.

Old 19-10-16, 11:11 AM

Peter,

The positioning of the WO2 Kings Crown rank badges are very unusual, almost at the elbow rather than the normal position at the bottom of the sleeve.

Another Bn. peculiarity I guess?

regards

Old 19-10-16, 11:12 AM

The Sergeant-Major second from the right has some interesting medals with long service! Any ideas what the second last medal is?

1914-15 Star
British War Medal
Victory Medal
Defence Medal
War Medal
?
Territorial Efficiency Medal

Cheers,
Alex
Old 19-10-16, 11:26 AM

Thanks for all the comments, Alex will have another look at the medals later.

Simon according to Forum member Eric Fawcett ( who was a member of the Pipes and Drums in the period of these photos ) the Pipers uniforms were ( at least in the early days ) cobbled together from what ever was available so I suppose they were a law unto themselves in the matter of dress and insignia.

The backing to the badge on the caubeen in the first photo is interesting and is a circle of , I think, alloy and was later replaced by a piece of alloy in he shape of a shamrock and was made by a member of the unit at his place of work Cammell Lairds Shipyard.

This photo shows two members of the RMP I think ,at least the front figure nearest the camera seems to be wearing RMP shoulder titles and 42nd Lancashire Division formation signs.

The embroidered badges on the Pipe banners clearly show those of the Connaught Rangers and The Munsters and Leinsters.

P.B.

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 19-10-16 at 02:03 PM.
Old 19-10-16, 12:06 PM

Final photograph which I think is worth showing, Major ( later Lt. Colonel, Sir ) Gerrard McClellan is outside St. George`s Hall with a senior officer and a clergyman. The Major is wearing the caubeen with R.A. collars on his blue patrols.

As well as persuading Vernon Sangster to pay for a set of Pipe Banners, he was also instrumental in acquiring dark green blazers with wire embroidered badges for the units football team,

I once owned Sir Gerrard`s service dress tunic and corresponded with him , he was most amused when I sent him a photo of the tunic displayed on a mannequin with a moustache because as he pointed out to me he had never had a moustache.
P.B.

Old 19-10-16, 12:17 PM

Wonderful photos. A real treasure for uniform and badge gazing. Congrats.
Old 19-10-16, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
The Sergeant-Major second from the right has some interesting medals with long service! Any ideas what the second last medal is?

1914-15 Star
British War Medal
Victory Medal
Defence Medal
War Medal
?

Cheers,
Alex
Alex,

I believe the sequence is as follows:-

1914-15 Star
British War Medal
Victory Medal
Defence Medal
War Medal
Efficiency Medal (Territorial)

regards

Old 19-10-16, 01:43 PM

Hi Simon
I think you're probably right, it was just that it looked round rather than oval.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 19-10-16, 01:46 PM

Peter thank you for showing these
David
Old 19-10-16, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
Thanks for all the comments, Alex will have another look at the medals later.

Simon according to Forum member Eric Fawcett ( who was a member of the Pipes and Drums in the period of these photos ) the Pipers uniforms were ( at least in the early days ) cobbled together from what ever was available so I suppose they were a law unto themselves in the matter of dress and insignia.

The backing to the badge on the caubeen in the first photo is interesting and is a circle of , I think, alloy and was later replaced by a piece of alloy in he shape of a shamrock and was made by a member of the unit at his place of work Cammell Lairds Shipyard.

This photo shows two members of the RMP I think ,at least the front figure nearest the camera seems to be wearing RMP shoulder titles and 42nd Lancashire Division formation signs.

The embroidered badges on the Pipe banners clearly show those of the Connaught Rangers and The Munsters and Leinsters.

P.B.

Peter,

This photo is taken in St. John's Gardens (rear of St. Georges Hall). To the left you can just see the County Sessions House. (or is it the Walker Art Gallery?)

Dave.