British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-01-14, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post

Have you been living in a cave for the past 10 years?
The british Airborne strip in printed form is a VERY rare badge to locate these days - expect to pay aound £150.for a single example .

A matched actual pair I expect a set to go for £400. this season .

As for spotting the fakes an original is not that hard to tell at all there is a very distinct shape to one of the letters the `o` and both the letters ` A & N` should have a certain style, in honest truth a few hours looking at an original een a picture and you will be well on your way .

Last edited by NEMO; 08-03-14 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-01-14, 09:52 AM

LOL I was very deliberate with my use of the word some, I was not around at the end of 1944 to oversee the enforcement of ACI's and Dress Regulations, perhaps you were?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwash View Post
GROAN, I think you should add the words " by most people " to the end of your first sentence.
Old 09-01-14, 10:48 AM

Hello Michael,

Thanks for your message. I noticed that originals were not so easy to find. It is the reason of my first post : why are they much more scarcer than Pegasus ?

Badjez has given the answer....

Now, if a distinguished member of this forum has one for sale, please PM me...

Best regards .. Herve

Last edited by half12; 09-01-14 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-01-14, 02:07 PM

Hello,
No, in cheshire!
I must admit to not having bought very many, I think I paid about £35 for the last one in the early 1990's, which was quite a lot of money back then.
However, at that time I did not regard them as rare, because something is expensive, it need not be rare, now I am sure that the number in existance back then is similar to the number that actually exist today, so whilst they may be rare on the market today, I still don't feel that they are that rare really, but, I do see your point.
They are certainly expensive and in my opinion very overpriced, but, we are talking about a badge that was worn by many men in two divisions, I certainly never found them rare when I was active collecting 1st and 6th Airborne and I started whilst I was still at primary school.
Anyway, happy new year to you and yours,
kind regards Frank Kelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post

Have you been living in a cave for the past 10 years?
Old 09-01-14, 02:33 PM

HI Frank ,
you have stated some very valid points - theses badges were worn by at least two divisions plus the Indian Airborne units and the Glider Pilot Regt , so why is the badge so rare when they were worn far more than any other `single` other infantry division.............?

A wilde shot here but were they ordered to be handed back in to the stores then destroyed ?? very few seemed to have survived in vets effects ?
Old 10-01-14, 01:29 AM

" Even if there IS an Airborne strip in that cave, I ain't going in unless we invent fire "
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Caveman.jpg (62.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 10-01-14, 08:47 AM

Hello Michael and happy new year to you and yours,
Thank you for the pm, I suspect that your wild shot is not as wild as you might think, now then, I certainly do not think that they are common badges, but, when I collected I did not find them or indeed the related cloth material to be rare.
I think it has become rare on the market today because more people collect, people like Herve and Luc for example.

I was interested by your forum signature and I have been well acquainted with this particular gentleman for nearly thirty years now, I was always buying back then and in the pre internet days a fax/copier machine was the way business was done and I thought you might like to see some of the items and their prices on offer month by month back in those very happy days before the world went mad, in fact back then, it was easy to build up a good collection without having to seek a mortgage from the bank, I would not like to try doing the same thing today.
Again, happy new year, kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMO View Post
HI Frank ,
you have stated some very valid points - theses badges were worn by at least two divisions plus the Indian Airborne units and the Glider Pilot Regt , so why is the badge so rare when they were worn far more than any other `single` other infantry division.............?

A wilde shot here but were they ordered to be handed back in to the stores then destroyed ?? very few seemed to have survived in vets effects ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020303.jpg (39.5 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg P1020304.jpg (38.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg P1020305.jpg (25.1 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg P1020306.jpg (34.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg P1020307.jpg (29.0 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 10-01-14 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-01-14, 12:22 PM

How about these two,

They seem to have a lot of good signs, the "O" looks good and the lettering is visible through the back....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-W...item2587ef2bb3

Regards,

Albert.
Old 10-01-14, 02:11 PM

FINE N` DANDY - agood original set .

The letter `o` is correct it should look more like a zero than an letter o .

Good thick upward leg to the letters A & N and that slight stiffness to the material that I like to see on this badge .

Also another point not a massive issue , I like the two seperate colour threads that remain that were used to afix the badge to the uniform a sign they were machine sown .

If you want a set just let Jack D.R know , he will get you a set - wont be cheap but they will be right .
Old 10-01-14, 02:23 PM

Hi again Albert, happy new year,
At a glance they look okay to me, he also has a pair of divisional pegasus formation signs too, I'd like to see them in the flesh though, no signs of any wear a tear at all, but, that really means nothing anyway.
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by appie_b View Post
How about these two,

They seem to have a lot of good signs, the "O" looks good and the lettering is visible through the back....

Regards,

Albert.
Old 10-01-14, 02:30 PM

Hi Frank,

Happy new year to you too.

Yes I also saw the peggies, and they look very new, but who knows they could have been stored ,well packed in a dark place for all these years. Personally I like cloth insignia with some traces of wear just that bit better then the mint ones, just a bit more character..

The strips are good IMO.

Regards,

Albert
Old 10-01-14, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appie_b View Post
How about these two,

Regards,

Albert.
Excuse the pun, but....the're off to a flying start

Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 10-01-14, 03:24 PM

LOL they are indeed, I suspect due to readers of this forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Smelly View Post
Excuse the pun, but....the're off to a flying start

Lee

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 10-01-14 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-01-14, 03:59 PM

Hello Michael,
You do see this regarding the two threads from time to time, though, not very often, many officers had them cut, folded and sewn to shape, infact by the begining of 1944 there had become a "trend set" working at Syrencot House, who actually wore them on their service dress tunics, I can only think that they were not discouraged from doing so, by Freddy himself, who was always well turned out!
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMO View Post
FINE N` DANDY - agood original set .

The letter `o` is correct it should look more like a zero than an letter o .

Good thick upward leg to the letters A & N and that slight stiffness to the material that I like to see on this badge .

Also another point not a massive issue , I like the two seperate colour threads that remain that were used to afix the badge to the uniform a sign they were machine sown .

If you want a set just let Jack D.R know , he will get you a set - wont be cheap but they will be right .

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 10-01-14 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-01-14, 04:40 PM

Hello guys,

... "rocket" price on eBay ... the forum could ask for commissions ...
and I did not bid yet ...

Best regards .. Herve