British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-03-16, 04:44 PM

here is the example I have which I assume is a wrong un as it is on lugs though does not have the crown touching the N so probably not the only bad sign to look for on these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guards mg btn 1.jpg (72.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Guards mg btn 2.jpg (59.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Guards mg btn 3.jpg (62.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Guards mg btn 4.jpg (63.1 KB, 16 views)

Jerry
Old 23-03-16, 06:21 PM

Default Guards Machine Gun Batt & Regt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
here is the example I have which I assume is a wrong un as it is on lugs though does not have the crown touching the N so probably not the only bad sign to look for on these.
If you look at the photo I put on the Forum some time ago, You will see all the badges have the crown centre to the N&C.
Regards to all Ray Smith.
Old 23-03-16, 07:52 PM

Hi again here is the pictures singly all have the tip of the Crown between the "N" &"C"

1st three pics are off the New badge which I believe has a slider replaced because of its appearance and discoloration!

2nd Broached badge this is growing on me Yes it has shapness to rear in places but definition is sharp, has remnant of Slider but also some discoloration also!

3rd I know people hate these but cast from a real badge "it meets the criteria" if you where stuck somewhere without a badge and a local bazar could supply one? Well I regard this as Theatre made as opposed copy/restrike, the question is where abouts could this have been made?

Thanks been interesting reading these threads so thank you all appreciate this billy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160323_192449-1.jpg (89.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 20160323_192507-1.jpg (86.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20160323_192555-1.jpg (66.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20160323_192620-1.jpg (96.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20160323_192633-1.jpg (103.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20160323_192657-1.jpg (78.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20160323_192707-1.jpg (94.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 23-03-16, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...chine%2C+gaunt

The very first picture shows a 1970's repro with the tip of the crown between the letters; so it is not a guarantee of originality.
Old 23-03-16, 08:13 PM

Oh dear that sort of scuppers that idea of working these out! Thanks Alan
Old 25-03-16, 02:21 PM

I'll stick with my original thoughts on these, numbers one and three I'd simply not even bother to look at, number two is okay, but, a better example would certainly be wanted if they were mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
Hi again here is the pictures singly all have the tip of the Crown between the "N" &"C"

1st three pics are off the New badge which I believe has a slider replaced because of its appearance and discoloration!

2nd Broached badge this is growing on me Yes it has shapness to rear in places but definition is sharp, has remnant of Slider but also some discoloration also!

3rd I know people hate these but cast from a real badge "it meets the criteria" if you where stuck somewhere without a badge and a local bazar could supply one? Well I regard this as Theatre made as opposed copy/restrike, the question is where abouts could this have been made?

Thanks been interesting reading these threads so thank you all appreciate this billy
Old 26-09-16, 06:57 PM

Default Guards machine gun regiment cap badge question

Can anyone tell me if there are two different varieties of white metal Guards Machine gun regiment cap badge. I have an example that i know is original as it was given to my grandfather in the 1920`s unfortunately it is soldered to the top of a walking cane. On my example the number 1`s in the date 1916 are just simple vertical lines with no slanting tops however in other examples i have seen claiming to be original the number 1`s do have slanting tops. Another difference seems to be that in my example the cross and orb on the crown is between the the N and C of JUNCTA whereas on the other type it points at the N. Different manufacturers or what. Many thanks for any ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gmgb.jpg (58.4 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpeg user9910_pic123748_1456245557.jpeg (52.9 KB, 174 views)
Old 27-09-16, 12:47 PM

My example,( and some others I looked at in the Albums section) are the same as yours, i.e. no addition to the "1" and the cross of the orb between N & C.

Just another manufacturer would seem logical?

Cheers, Tim

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ctureid=117179
Old 27-09-16, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

A much faked badge to a short lived unit.

I would always opt for the san-serif version rather than the '1' as I doubt that there was more than one or 2 production runs in its short life.

If ever there was a contender for original dies to be used to restrike badges then this regt has to be it.
Old 27-09-16, 07:31 PM

Interesting, I found this in my files (from Andy P) from when I was looking for one last year. It shows several subtle variations, but as you say Alan, all have the sans serif "1".

So, do you have an idea as to how many might have been made in the one (?) year they were in use? That might indicate if multiple makers were producing the badge, albeit with just minor differences. In fact, just thinking out loud, might not the fact that every member needed a badge, (unlike existing formations where mostly new soldiers needed badges), and with production for regular badges already stretched (i.e. necessitating the 26 All GM badges being made to save on time) that several manufacturers might have been used? Especially if they wanted/needed them quickly? I guess it depends on just how many were needed.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

cheers, Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (122.2 KB, 168 views)
Old 27-09-16, 11:46 PM

Do you have a pic of the backs of these badges please?

Jack
Old 28-09-16, 03:44 AM

If you needed more than one supplier could produce in a hurry, wouldn't you just get one master die made, produce a number of working copies, then distribute the working copies to various manufacturers?
Old 28-09-16, 07:22 AM

Are these particular examples, you show here, in the current DNW auction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandpud View Post
Can anyone tell me if there are two different varieties of white metal Guards Machine gun regiment cap badge. I have an example that i know is original as it was given to my grandfather in the 1920`s unfortunately it is soldered to the top of a walking cane. On my example the number 1`s in the date 1916 are just simple vertical lines with no slanting tops however in other examples i have seen claiming to be original the number 1`s do have slanting tops. Another difference seems to be that in my example the cross and orb on the crown is between the the N and C of JUNCTA whereas on the other type it points at the N. Different manufacturers or what. Many thanks for any ideas.
Old 28-09-16, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack8 View Post
Do you have a pic of the backs of these badges please?

Jack
Hi Jack, if you meant the pic I posted, no, sorry, they are not mine and I only have the front.

Cheers, Tim
Old 28-09-16, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runic1901 View Post
If you needed more than one supplier could produce in a hurry, wouldn't you just get one master die made, produce a number of working copies, then distribute the working copies to various manufacturers?
I guess that depends on how easy it was to make a die. I actually have no idea. Certainly a master die would make sense, though. Does anyone know if making a die was onerous or easy?

Tim

Tags
guards mg regt