British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-03-11, 09:05 PM

Interesting Julian. Must admit that I've only made it over to visit once. Everyone I talked to was helpful but I think it would take me a number of visits to learn the ropes. Old hat to you though I expect! Have you happened to turn up anything GMGR in the course of your research? Regards, Paul.
Old 31-03-11, 03:44 PM

Interestingly enough, at least two of them in this extract from the photograph are wearing the insignia of the North Russia Relief Force (white star on blue square). Most in the background are MGC... so I suspect this Sergeant is an instructor/volunteer/augmentee.
Old 31-03-11, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
Quick look for a GMGR button found this lighter, no real info. though.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/waleshist...ar_online.html
A button with GMGR cap badge type insignia on it has been mentioned. Anyone have info. on that? Regards, Paul
PS Surely someone on the forum must have friendly links with the Guards Museum? Its hard to understand how info. on GMGR insignia is so thin on the ground. Do they reply to emails/letters/phone calls? Are they helpfull?
Can't Capt. Andy pull rank on them and get them to answer immediately.
Old 31-03-11, 04:30 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
Can't Capt. Andy pull rank on them and get them to answer immediately.
Keith,
when I was stationed in Wellington Barrack a few years back, the curator was a guy called David Horne (I think), an ex-Greandier his knowledge on "matters badges" was well up to speed. Alas the staff now are not even ex-Guardsmen and although they've done a fine job, the badge info is limited and Garry Gibbs who I believe is the assistant-curator is a Forum member.

I think as indicated by Julian, the answers may lie at the NA. I have lost faith in museums, as in my opinion they have a very good overall awareness but nowhere near that of the "Badge Specific" knowledge possesed by some of the members of this Forum..

And, as in the case of this thread, if no single member has the solution, the squad average often eeks out at plausible answer!

Andy
Old 31-03-11, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Keith,
when I was stationed in Wellington Barrack a few years back, the curator was a guy called David Horne (I think), an ex-Greandier his knowledge on "matters badges" was well up to speed. Alas the staff now are not even ex-Guardsmen and although they've done a fine job, the badge info is limited and Garry Gibbs who I believe is the assistant-curator is a Forum member.

I think as indicated by Julian, the answers may lie at the NA. I have lost faith in museums, as in my opinion they have a very good overall awareness but nowhere near that of the "Badge Specific" knowledge possesed by some of the members of this Forum..

And, as in the case of this thread, if no single member has the solution, the squad average often eeks out at plausible answer!

Andy
Just out of interest, do they have any badges on display on that long corridor where all the RHQ's are? I remember lots of medals and diorama's when i worked in there about 15 years ago?
Old 31-03-11, 04:41 PM
Former Member

Keith,
last time I was there (a year or so), all the medals etc were still there, but there's never been that many badges. Guards badges have not changed very much since they were first introduced and having the Bearskin Cap robbed us of having some of the superb Helmet Plates and having no Volunteers or Territorial Bns (until the Londons a few years back), no badges that would whet your appetite!

Andy
Old 31-03-11, 04:50 PM

Hi, i have emailed The Guards Museum with reference to The Grenade. I believe Gary Gibbs is a Curator there. I asked if they had any info on when the Grenade as a cap badge was 1st used.
I did get a very quick reply, but they could not answer the question unfortunatly.
I have to say that i have seen far better Museum`s than the Guards, which personally i am amazed.
Old 31-03-11, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
Hi, i have emailed The Guards Museum with reference to The Grenade. I believe Gary Gibbs is a Curator there. I asked if they had any info on when the Grenade as a cap badge was 1st used.
I did get a very quick reply, but they could not answer the question unfortunatly.
I have to say that i have seen far better Museum`s than the Guards, which personally i am amazed.
Museum staff often seem to have very little interest in badges and insignia. I don't know why but they seem to see it as small fry and not worth bothering about. A strange attitude methinks, but then we are ALL enthusiasts so it would be difficult for us to fathom!
Old 02-04-11, 04:34 PM

Met member Gary Gibbs today and mentioned the surge in GMGR cap badge interest and asked him to have a look with a view to contributing.
I now own electronic scales to weigh possible buys against what I take to be the new gold standard.
Old 02-04-11, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
Met member Gary Gibbs today and mentioned the surge in GMGR cap badge interest and asked him to have a look with a view to contributing.
I now own electronic scales to weigh possible buys against what I take to be the new gold standard.
It would be great if someone could post a definitive display of all the sealed patterns for GMGR. Someone must have them.
Old 02-04-11, 04:44 PM

Most SPs are in museums. It would be difficult to get permission to reproduce them here. The ones that occasionally appear on the market are those which were sent to manufacturers who were usually unsuccessful with their tenders and thus later discarded.
Old 02-04-11, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
Most SPs are in museums. It would be difficult to get permission to reproduce them here. The ones that occasionally appear on the market are those which were sent to manufacturers who were usually unsuccessful with their tenders and thus later discarded.
Yes, I'm sorry, I did not make myself clear. I meant 'as per' sealed patterns, not the actual patterns themselves.

As an aside, I thought members might be interested in the following resume:

1915.08 1st-3rd Guards Machine Gun Companies formed in the Guards Division

1917.03 fourth company formed

1917.04.16 Machine Gun Guards
formed by grouping MG companies of the Guards Division

1918.03.01 4th Battalion Machine Gun Guards

1918.05.08 6th, or Machine-Gun Regiment of Foot Guards, or Guards Machine-Gun Regiment
redesignated by Royal Warrant

1918.06.27 reorganised in battalions:

1st (1st Life Guards) Battalion, conversion of 1st Life Guards (less one squadron)

2nd (2nd Life Guards) Battalion, conversion of 2nd Life Guards (less one squadron)

3rd (Royal Horse Guards) Battalion, conversion of Royal Horse Guards (less one squadron)

4th (Foot Guards) Battalion, redesignation of existing MG battalion

5th (Reserve) Battalion, redesignation of Guards MG Training Centre

1918.07.21 5th Bn disbanded

1918.11.14 Household Cavalry bns disbanded (personnel to reconstitute parent regiments)

1919.02.11 4th Bn disbanded, but provisional regimental establishment of HQ and four coys retained

1920 disbanded

BOOKS:
1. Guards Machine Gun Regiment, by Chris Baker (The British Army in the Great War)
2. Guards Machine Gun Regiment 1914-18, by Paul Reed
Old 06-04-11, 08:26 PM

Nice one Toby, great info.
Old 06-04-11, 08:55 PM

Well, I'm glad I opened this thread. Been fascinating reading and 95 posts 'aint bad to date.

Simon.
Old 06-07-11, 12:02 PM

Default GUARDS MACHINE GUN BATTALION?

Hi chap's, thought I'd run this by you for a view. I picked this up one fore reason I've been after an infantry bugle for some time, circa 1914-18. But also as you can see it has what looks like the Guards machine Gun Battalion on it. Thought it was something more un-usual.

When I get it I'll post more pictures.

Regards
Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2011-07-06 at 7.47.10 AM.jpg (87.6 KB, 125 views)

Tags
guards mg regt