British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > All other Colonial Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-03-08, 12:47 PM
Badge Guru

Default Kings African Rifles - Officers Badges

Has anyone got any genuine officers insignia from any period in their collections that they are willing to show photos of?

I`m having trouble locating an officers cap badge from this regiment I`m happy with, as I am unsure what a genuine example looks like.

Thank you.
Old 16-03-08, 12:45 PM

Jibba Jabba,
Cannot help with illustrations but there were a number of articles on badges of Colonial units including the KARs in ther Military Historical Society Bulletins of November 1955 and November 1956. It appears that differnent battalions had their own badges, but there was a regimental badge ( Bugle with strings, a crown above the strings and a scroll below the bugle inscribed "Kings African Rifles" all in brass ) and worn by the East African General Service Corps and by personnel of the Regimental Depot at Nakuru.

Hope this is of some help. ( some of the battalion badges are illlustrated in Cox )

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 16-03-08, 09:33 PM
Badge Guru

Thank you for your reply P.B. Its interesting to note that of any single British or Commonwealth unit in WW2 the Kings African Rifles had the most officers. These badges should in theory be common, but I supsect since many officers were attached to the KAR they wore their parent regiments cap badge. It can be the only explanation as to why these are so rare, after all RWAFF badges are ten a penny.
Old 03-05-08, 04:36 AM

Default Uniforms CDs

I have seen two CDs for sale on KAR uniforms at www.uniformsotw.co.uk. The first has a selection of badges as well. The first has 100 plates and the second 150. All from 1902 to 1964
There is also a CD on the RWAFF, again 100 uniforms from 1897 to 1961.
Worth a look