British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-04-19, 12:39 PM

Default Nickel-plated AAC cap badge

A recent addition to my collection (on the left in the first photo). A nickel-plated example of the non-voided AAC cap badge. It has a nice brass'y hue to it, which is quite noticeable when put alongside the usual white metal variety.

I was wondering if anyone could provide insights into the history of the nickel-plated variety - e.g. were these earlier than the regular white metal variety?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190315_173315 cropped.jpg (51.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190315_173421.jpg (48.6 KB, 38 views)
Old 02-04-19, 02:30 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSA View Post
A recent addition to my collection (on the left in the first photo). A nickel-plated example of the non-voided AAC cap badge. It has a nice brass'y hue to it, which is quite noticeable when put alongside the usual white metal variety.

I was wondering if anyone could provide insights into the history of the nickel-plated variety - e.g. were these earlier than the regular white metal variety?
The nickel plated badge with loops was originally intended for wear by officers and WOs1 on a coloured forage cap that in the end was not adopted. There was a similar large badge with the same type of finish for the SASC, which also was not adopted. In both cases it was decided that a beret would be worn universally instead (light blue and rifle green respectively). Interestingly the latter corps has now adopted the forage cap for wear with SD/No2 dress, but the AAC has not. In the case of the AAC I do recall a certain, Colonel Pople wearing the badge (and non-regulation cap) on a whim at a court martial. Instead of subject badge the AAC wore/wear a smaller, bullion wire version on the beret with all forms of dress. From memory both metal badges appeared around the time of QEII accession, ostensibly as part of the No1 dress ensemble.

N.B. A similar AAC badge with loops, but not plated was used by ORs on a flat rectangular belt plate with the two loops inserted through holes and secured in place by a cotter pin. This can be found in both, a/a and g/m versions.
Old 02-04-19, 04:20 PM

I always assumed the nickle plated badges were earlier than the WM badges, as I think that was the case for the parachute badge, though I might be wrong and it is just an assumption.

Jerry
Old 02-04-19, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
Instead of subject badge the AAC wore/wear a smaller, bullion wire version on the beret with all forms of dress. From memory both metal badges appeared around the time of QEII accession, ostensibly as part of the No1 dress ensemble.
Toby,
I must admit I’m a bit confused, particularly when you say the badges appearing around the QEII accession, the AAC disbanded in 1950 and did not reform until 1957 wearing a different pattern badge from then.
Would not Officers/WO1s had worn Silver HM’d or the wire embroidered rather than a nickel plated badge if the Coloured Service Cap had been adopted like most other units.
I am aware some officers opted to wear ORs badges on operations during ww2 but that doesn’t explain this.
Paul

My Army Flying frame (temporary) three of the Officers badges are Silver HM’d one dating from 1942.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C51B5F70-4126-4608-A584-D15C71150103.jpg (78.9 KB, 60 views)
Old 02-04-19, 05:38 PM

It is a quite difficult question to answer, I have had examples of the plated badges from rank and file, founder members, of the Corps, as well as others who only joined as the war drew to a close, certainly a great many were deliberately plated, these include white metal examples too.
Whilst some officers and warrant officers did wear them, a great many purchased silver or plated die cast beret badges and bronze collars, as you would expect.
They were certainly issued to rankers in the Parachute Regiment before 1943.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSA View Post

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 02-04-19 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-04-19, 05:56 PM

A very handsome frame, I bet that took some doing, I certainly would not want to do it these days given the awful prices being sought, how long did it take to put together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
Toby,
I must admit I’m a bit confused, particularly when you say the badges appearing around the QEII accession, the AAC disbanded in 1950 and did not reform until 1957 wearing a different pattern badge from then.
Would not Officers/WO1s had worn Silver HM’d or the wire embroidered rather than a nickel plated badge if the Coloured Service Cap had been adopted like most other units.
I am aware some officers opted to wear ORs badges on operations during ww2 but that doesn’t explain this.
Paul

My Army Flying frame (temporary) three of the Officers badges are Silver HM’d one dating from 1942.
Old 02-04-19, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Toby,
Paul

Thats a nice collection you have there.
Andy
Old 02-04-19, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Toby,
Paul

Many apologies to all, I saw the eagles but at a glance erroneously interpreted them as the AAC formed in 1957 and my comments were based on that assumption. Mea culpa.
Old 03-04-19, 06:37 AM

Thank you Toby, Jerry, Paul, Frank and Andy for taking the time to respond, and the insights shared, it is appreciated!