British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-09-18, 12:08 PM

Default Imperial Service troops -Indian States forces

I was delighted to have won this at auction last week - my main interest was obviously the 1st Gurkhas badge - I've never seen one like it before. However I've started to research the other badges and the one's I've so far been able to identify are all belonging to Indian States forces circa WW1 or inter war years.
The shoulder title in blackened brass with the coats of arms above 1GR belongs to a unit of Gurkhas that were serving with The Nawab of Rampur's State forces - 1924>1931. I'm now thinking that the white metal cap badge with the 1 above crossed kukris - could be the cap badge of the same unit and nothing to do with the 1st Gurkha Rifles? - ( I've sent a photo to Ashok Nath to see want he thinks) - Some of the other badges I've been able to identify or make a pretty good guess at the State with which the unit served if not the actual unit title. Any help would be greatly appreciated. From the top of the sash and then left to right:

1) Jammu & Kashmir State Forces - ( larger and finer than Cox 2617 )
2) The Mir of Kaipur State Forces ?
3) ?
4) Bahawalpur ?
5) Bahawalpur ?
6) Bahawalpur Mounted Rifles (Cox 2623)
7) Rompur Rohilla Lancers (Cox 2646)
8) 2nd Rampur Mounted Infantry ? - shoulder title - 2nd Rampur Murtaza Infantry
9) 1st Rampur ? Infantry - 1st Rampur Raza Infantry
10) 1st Gurkhas ??? - possibly Rompur State Forces
11) ? Travancore States forces ?
12) Rompur Infantry
13) 1GR shoulder title - Rompur State Forces ( 1924>1931)
14) Rampur ?
15) Punjabis ? 4/15th Punjab Regt
16) ? Nabha Akal Infantry

I haven't actually got the badges in my hands yet - but will hopefully be able to post pictures soon. Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Indian States badges 1.jpg (26.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Indian States badges 2 .jpg (78.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg States Badges 3 .jpg (83.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg States badges 5.jpg (86.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg state badges 4 .jpg (59.4 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by gurkharifles; 04-09-18 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Additional information rec'd
Old 03-09-18, 01:42 PM

Having trouble seeing the images clearly but #3 may be to a unit of the Mir of Kaipur States Forces [see 'Arctic Medals, Calgary Canada for a similar, I think, coat of arms.]

#15 will bug me all day! I once owned an identical badge but its long gone - to Arctic, I think - and the records didn't survive a computer malfunction a few months ago.
Old 03-09-18, 02:05 PM

Hi Peter, apologies that the photo's aren't great - I think No.2 with the circle around it is The Mir of Kaipur - but No.3 is a different coat of arms - I think it might be the Personal Bodyguard of the Nawab of Bahawalpur? As for 15# - it's almost identical to the 28th Punjabis ( but I can't see a 28 on the crescent ) - and it would also be at odds with all of the other badges being a regiment of the British Indian Army rather than a states force - unless it's a variant for a Punjabi unit that was serving one of the states ? - looking forward to getting my hands on them and praying that they've all got their lugs still attached! Tim
Old 03-09-18, 07:31 PM

Default Nabha Akal Infantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
I was delighted to have won this at auction last week - my main interest was obviously the 1st Gurkhas badge - I've never seen one like it before. However I've started to research the other badges and the one's I've so far been able to identify are all belonging to Indian States forces circa WW1 or inter war years.
The shoulder title in blackened brass with the coats of arms above 1GR belongs to a unit of Gurkhas that were serving with The Nawab of Rampur's State forces - 1924>1931. I'm now thinking that the white metal cap badge with the 1 above crossed kukris - could be the cap badge of the same unit and nothing to do with the 1st Gurkha Rifles? - ( I've sent a photo to Ashok Nath to see want he thinks) - Some of the other badges I've been able to identify or make a pretty good guess at the State with which the unit served if not the actual unit title. Any help would be greatly appreciated. From the top of the sash and then left to right:

1) Jammu & Kashmir State Forces - ( larger and finer than Cox 2617 )
2) The Mir of Kaipur State Forces ?
3) ?
4) Bahawalpur ?
5) Bahawalpur ?
6) Bahawalpur Mounted Rifles (Cox 2623)
7) Rompur Rohilla Lancers (Cox 2646)
8) 2nd Rampur Mounted Infantry ? - shoulder title - 2nd Rampur Murtaza Infantry
9) 1st Rampur ? Infantry - 1st Rampur Raza Infantry
10) 1st Gurkhas ??? - possibly Rompur State Forces
11) ?
12) Rompur Infantry
13) 1GR shoulder title - Rompur State Forces ( 1924>1931)
14) Rampur ?
15) Punjabis ? 4/15th Punjab Regt

I haven't actually got the badges in my hands yet - but will hopefully be able to post pictures soon. Tim
It is the Nabha Akal Infantry (1924 - 1954 ? )
The scroll reads 'Nabha Akal Infantry'. Have one.
However, saw a pic of another version, same design,
with scroll 'Akal Sahai' ( error or different period ?)
Old 04-09-18, 03:04 PM

I'd say 'Of course it is!' but that would look suspicious, after the fact, so I'll say 'Sounds right.'
Old 04-09-18, 04:51 PM

Peter
The only reference book I've seen with images of some of the badges is COX's - so I have no idea how rare or otherwise some of these badges are - I must admit I'd not even heard of some of the units let alone seen their insignia! Is there anywhere else to look? I'm probably going to move on the none Gurkha badges. Tim
Old 05-09-18, 02:06 AM

Not to douse the fire but none particualary rare I think except the Mir of Kairpur (if that is what it is) Have seen all the others at one time or other and they do pop up once in a while. the Bahawalpur badges frequently turn up on ebay Pakistan...
Old 05-09-18, 02:08 AM

And the last but one is a collar badge of the Sikh Regiment, pre-1947
Old 05-09-18, 12:14 PM

I had a smattering of State Forces in my collection, back when I had the L, $, E for collecting badges but from this side of the Atlantic [Canada] I get the impression they've never been common outside the sub-continent. Some of the units have interesting histories, though, in the two World Wars and many have been subsumed into the Indian Army's vast multi-battalion units. But, yes, very frustrating to try and research.
Old 05-09-18, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyber View Post
And the last but one is a collar badge of the Sikh Regiment, pre-1947
I'm afraid it isn't. It is the badge of the Nabha Akal Infantry.
Old 05-09-18, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
Peter
The only reference book I've seen with images of some of the badges is COX's - so I have no idea how rare or otherwise some of these badges are - I must admit I'd not even heard of some of the units let alone seen their insignia! Is there anywhere else to look? I'm probably going to move on the none Gurkha badges. Tim
May I suggest you look at 'Maharaj's Paltans' by Richard Head and Tony McClenaghan? Most of these badges are illustrated there with detailed unit histories.
Old 05-09-18, 06:00 PM

Hi there- I’ve not got a copy of the book- could you tell me if the Gurkha badges to the Rampur forces are illustrated?
Old 05-09-18, 06:09 PM

No 13 is not, but the others are. The unit is described as a 'Gurkha Company' which existed from 1888 to 1933. There is also a shoulder title with GR above a curved Rampur, all below crossed Kukris (blade upwards).
Old 05-09-18, 06:10 PM

No 14 is Rampur State Artillery.
Old 05-09-18, 06:14 PM

No 2 is the Faridkot Imperial Service Sappers.