British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-11-08, 10:57 AM

Default Glamorgan Imperial Yeomanry

Here is one I picked up recently, although broached I believe original,noticed a couple of points in its construction. In photo one you can faintly make out the Ich dien which I believe the manufacturer has re tooled the die to remove it. also in photo three as with many of the badges which sport the Prince of Wales plumes many manufacturers did not engrave the coronet section of the die, as this would be completely hidden by the brass coronet overlaid one. Cheers Sean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glam 1.jpg (16.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg glam 2.jpg (11.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg glam 3.jpg (14.4 KB, 69 views)
Old 16-11-08, 11:10 AM

Nothing wrong with that one. It's a good example.
Here's a few of mine dating to after 1908 when the 'Imperial' was dropped and showing the atempt to erase it. You can also see the ghost Ich Dien on one of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Badges 031.jpg (76.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Badges 035.jpg (82.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Badges 039.jpg (80.9 KB, 62 views)
Old 16-11-08, 11:36 AM

Ditto 41st,another one with the word imperial doctored, isn't it a shame that nearly all the badge collecting reference books failed to show the backs of the at the time,then original and not yet faked badges. Cheers Sean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glam 6.jpg (17.7 KB, 41 views)
Old 16-11-08, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
Nothing wrong with that one. It's a good example.
Here's a few of mine dating to after 1908 when the 'Imperial' was dropped and showing the atempt to erase it. You can also see the ghost Ich Dien on one of mine.
Just curious, 41st -- is your first example a lugged 'non-Imperial'? Here's one I've had for years that I just assumed was a fake, albeit a nicely made one. I'd be interested to see the back of yours by way of comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0022.jpg (37.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0019.jpg (96.1 KB, 52 views)
Old 16-11-08, 01:24 PM

I'm not for one moment doubting any of the badges above but doctored badges will always be a contencious issue as no-one can be sure at what level the doctoring was carried out....manufacturer, regimental or just plain forgery. A classic case is the 10th Middlesex with the zigzag across the honour scroll. These tend to go for half the price of a plain blank scroll due to suspicions. Another recent one was the 1st Cinque Ports RV in the Bosleys postal auction before last, with the 1st & RV erased to turn it into a 5th Royal Sussex. I seriously doubt that any collector or forger in their right mind would ruin a more expensive badge to convert it into something else so in that case I'm sure it was certainly done regimentally.
Old 16-11-08, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettman View Post
Just curious, 41st -- is your first example a lugged 'non-Imperial'? Here's one I've had for years that I just assumed was a fake, albeit a nicely made one. I'd be interested to see the back of yours by way of comparison.
Sadly your assumption was correct. The badge you've posted is a common fake. It pretends to be the later 1920's pattern but is provided with lugs, which should not be.
However, there is a rider to this, below on the left is a post 1908 example with lugs. This is an arm badge to a senior NCO. This is not documented in the histories but I have both photographic proof and provenance from a different source that this was worn. Note that it is slightly larger than the regular cap badge.
I've also added a few pictures of the back of some of my badges, together with an OSD example and a collar badge as worn on the Officers' substitute full dress.
Cofion,
Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Badges 032.jpg (67.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Badges 036.jpg (80.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Badges 040.jpg (99.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Badges 046.jpg (86.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Badges 050.jpg (47.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 17-11-08, 01:04 AM

No great disappointment, Kevin -- it was just your arm badge that set me off to wondering. Very nice collection, BTW!

Tags
glamorgan