British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Unit Colour Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-09-08, 05:19 PM

Thumbs up Superb Australian list of Coloured Patches,1stWW to 2ndWW

A very impressive and extensive list of all(?) coloured patch worn by the AIF in both World Wars.From the Australian Department of Defence. The person who thought of putting this on the web should be IMO,congratulated warmly even if this list can be found somewhere else. First rate work.
Jo

http://www.defence.gov.au/army/ahu/i...ndex.htm#index

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 26-09-08, 09:39 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Some time ago I asked a questiom here on the forum asking how many Australian Lt Horse Regiments there were during WW 2, I didn't get an answer then but I think you answered it Jo, good work,Looks like 24 according to the patches. Who said this forum was getting boring? Thanks. Ray
Old 26-09-08, 10:34 PM

Hi Ray, the person who could have answered you.....slick_mick...IMO the leading aussie collector.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 27-09-08, 01:50 AM

Thanks Jo :-)

I thought I did answer that question - though to go back to it, there were around 30 or so Light Horse regiments during the militia period and most were disbanded around 1942.

No Light Horse militia units (from memory) were deployed overseas as Light Horse units during WW2.

Mick
Old 27-09-08, 08:05 AM

Default Aus patches

The pix look like they have been taken out of the official histories. Its a useful site. FYI they mention a book by Keith Glide: Distinguishing Colour Patches of the Australian Military Forces 1915 - 1951 - A Reference Guide, by Keith Glyde (published by K Glyde, Australia, 1999, ISBN 0-6460-36640-8).
I have a copy of this and can recommend it. Brilliant bit of work.
Quicksilver
Old 28-09-08, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_mick View Post
Thanks Jo :-)

I thought I did answer that question - though to go back to it, there were around 30 or so Light Horse regiments during the militia period and most were disbanded around 1942.

No Light Horse militia units (from memory) were deployed overseas as Light Horse units during WW2.

Mick
Fair enough -- definitely as horsed units they didn't, but, for example, the 1st Light Horse served OS as an armoured unit in its later guises as 1st Army Tank Bn and 1st Armoured Regt. What became of LH regts during WW2 is a messy and complicated business, but a few did more or less develop directly into active armoured or motor units which were sent overseas.
Old 28-09-08, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
A very impressive and extensive list of all(?) coloured patch worn by the AIF in both World Wars.From the Australian Department of Defence. The person who thought of putting this on the web should be IMO,congratulated warmly even if this list can be found somewhere else. First rate work.
Jo

http://www.defence.gov.au/army/ahu/i...ndex.htm#index
Yes, a very useful and well presented site. As far as WW2 patches are concerned, though, it really only represents part of the story (although the most important part). For a full picture of just how incredibly complex it was you need something like the Glyde book.
Old 31-12-08, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots and saddles View Post
Some time ago I asked a questiom here on the forum asking how many Australian Lt Horse Regiments there were during WW 2, I didn't get an answer then but I think you answered it Jo, good work,Looks like 24 according to the patches. Who said this forum was getting boring? Thanks. Ray
Ray,
Be careful in using the chart as to the number of Australian Light Horse Regiments that served in World War I. In answer to your question, eventually there were a total of 15 Regiments raised and organised as follows:

1st ALH BRIGADE (Formed 1914)
1st ALH Regiment (NSW)
2nd ALH Regiment (QLD)
3rd ALH Regiment (SA & TAS)

2nd ALH BRIGADE (Formed 1914)
5th ALH Regiment (QLD)
6th ALH Regiment (NSW)
7th ALH Regiment (NSW)

3rd ALH BRIGADE (Formed 1914)
8th ALH Regiment (VIC)
9th ALH Regiment (VIC & SA)
10th ALH Regiment (WA)

1st AUSTRALIAN DIVISION CAVALRY REGIMENT
4th ALH Regiment
(VIC)
On return from Gallipoli the Regiment was reduced to two squadrons, one of which moved to France as part of II ANZAC CORPS Mounted Unit. The other squadron served on detached service in 1916 and was brought up to full Regimental strength later in 1916/early 1917)

4th ALH BRIGADE. This Brigade was formed Feb 1915, disbanded on arrival in Egypt 1915 and reformed in Feb 1917)
11th ALH Regiment (QLD & SA)
(Formed 1915 , disbanded 1915 and used as reinforcements to other ALH Regiments on Gallipoli. Reformed in Egypt in 1916 and employed on detached service during 1916)
12th ALH Regiment (NSW)
(Formed 1915, disbanded 1915 and used as reinforcements to other ALH Regiments on Gallipoli and reformed in Egypt in 1916 and employed on detached service during 1916)
13th ALH Regiment (VIC)
(Allocated as the 2nd Australian Division Cavalry Regiment 1915 on Gallipoli and moved to France as I ANZAC CORPS Mounted Unit in 1916)

4th ALH BRIGADE (Reformed Feb 1917 comprised)
4th ALH Regiment
11th ALH Regiment
12th ALH Regiment

5th ALH BRIGADE (Formed 1918)
14th ALH Regiment
15th ALH Regiment

Both of these regiments were formed from the Australian battalions of the Imperial Camel Corps

I ANZAC CORPS Mounted Unit (Corps formed Feb 1916 and moved to France
13th ALH Regiment Later renamed Australian Corps Mounted Regiment

II ANZAC CORPS Mounted Unit (Formed 1916 and moved to France)
One Squadron 4th ALH Regiment and Otago Mounted Regiment (NZMR)

Regards
Chris
Old 03-02-09, 05:55 PM

Excellent site. I'm interested in the AMF Corps of Signals coloured flash. Can anyone provide the text of Authority: GRO O.411/44? My interest is actually from a Canadian perspective. This badge was authorized for wear (by Canada) by members of 1st Canadian Special Wireless Group, a sigint unit that served in Darwin 44-45. The CO requested authority from Headquarters in Canada and, as they were sailing, brought a quantity with them (2 per man). On board, when approval was given, out came the needles so they could arrive wearing their badges.

Last edited by Joe C; 03-02-09 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-02-09, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
Excellent site. I'm interested in the AMF Corps of Signals coloured flash. Can anyone provide the text of Authority: GRO O.411/44? My interest is actually from a Canadian perspective. This badge was authorized for wear (by Canada) by members of 1st Canadian Special Wireless Group, a sigint unit that served in Darwin 44-45. The CO requested authority from Headquarters in Canada and, as they were sailing, brought a quantity with them (2 per man). On board, when approval was given, out came the needles so they could arrive wearing their badges.
Joe,
I remember this from Charles A. Edwards' book Canadian Army Formation Signs 1939-1985, item 150, p. 39. However, the dimensions of his illustration are incorrect, as is item 151, the RAEME patch worn by the Canadian Radar Group (many years ago I actually sent Charles Edwards photos of these two patches to show him the correct sizes). If you PM me your postal address I'll send you a photocopy of GRO 0.411/44, and soon I'll also put up some photos of the 1944 Signal Corps patch as it was worn.
Old 13-02-09, 05:44 AM

Thanks!!! I have badges from a unit veteran (shown here: http://www.rcsigs.ca/ViewItem/165/) although I am unclear as to a second one, a black/white triangle badge, that came with the first.
Old 15-02-09, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
Thanks!!! I have badges from a unit veteran (shown here: http://www.rcsigs.ca/ViewItem/165/) although I am unclear as to a second one, a black/white triangle badge, that came with the first.
Joe -- wasn't able to access the link to your patches, but a black and white triangle would be for 1st Corps HQ (redesignated 2nd Corps in late 1944 -- confusing, eh?). Stay tuned for photos of the Signal Corps patch.
Old 16-02-09, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Hi Ray, the person who could have answered you.....slick_mick...IMO the leading aussie collector.
Jo
lol, lol, lol
Old 16-02-09, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
lol, lol, lol
Thanks for the compliments Jo but I'm far from being the leading Aussie collector! There are certainly more knowledgeable people on this forum than me - I just post pictures and what info I know.

Mick

Last edited by slick_mick; 16-02-09 at 04:09 AM.
Old 16-02-09, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
lol, lol, lol
Something funny BL?

Tags
alh brigade, alh regiment, arm of service, australian light horse, corps of signals, formation patch, rccs