British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-11-10, 12:56 AM

Default 14 CLH Officer's Cap Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
I was fortunate that my godfather gave me all of his badges a number of years ago. He was a Lieutenant in the Recce Corps (British Army), VIII Recce (Cdn Army) and RCD's.
Among his cap badges were VIII Recce in w/m and brass overlay, VIII Recce collar badge and 14th CANADIAN LIGHT HORSE in brass.
Neither of the cap badges could be described as officers'.
I have never heard of LIGHT HORSE officers' badges and I would guess (this is an invitation to anybody to prove me wrong) that even though the 14th CLH/VIII Recce were initially badged as 14 CLH, they were initially an "ad hoc" unit formed from troops serving in 2nd CID. Chris Brooker has written about LCol Mann (the CO) initiating the VIII Recce badge as opposed to the 14th CLH badge in order to foster esprit de corps. Quite possibly there was no opportunity to get officers' badges made.
Ref the VIII Recce sans overlay, I was told by a well respected collector that this was the first issue.
I have seen cast examples and was told that they were made in Holland by melting down coins.
Any comments?
Enjoy!

Geoff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.JPG (73.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 27-11-10, 01:08 AM

Beautiful badge!
Now, is it pre-war, or wartime?

Phil
Old 27-11-10, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Beautiful badge!
Now, is it pre-war, or wartime?

Phil

I guess it is hard to know. It is Light Horse, vs Hussars so I am inclined to think WW2. But I suppose they could of had some made up between 1946 and 1949.

Geoff
Old 27-11-10, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCR817 View Post
I guess it is hard to know. It is Light Horse, vs Hussars so I am inclined to think WW2. But I suppose they could of had some made up between 1946 and 1949.

Geoff
Stupid me! You said pre-war not postwar. Well,if prewar it wouldn't be too unlikely to have seen it worn into the war years as well I would think.

Geoff
Old 27-11-10, 06:52 PM

Geoff,

Is the silver horse an overlay, or plating?

Phil
Old 27-11-10, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

The questions about the provenance of the officer's badge brings back the question about the 14th Canadian Hussars badges. The regiment's title was officially changed from Canadian Light Horse to Canadian Hussars on August 1, 1940. Was the badge design changed at that time? The GO approval for the 14th Canadian Hussars badge, as I mentioned above, was in 1949. But, was this an after the fact issue of the cap badges? The situation is very similar to that of the 8 Canadian Hussars (PL). Their "1949" approved badge has been proven to have been worn during the Second World War, and the GO appears to have been a "cleaning up" order. With the photo evidence it is clear that some of the VIII Recce wore one of the two patterns, but which one?
Old 27-11-10, 09:11 PM

My godfather gave me a 14th Canadian Light Horse badge along with his 8th Recce stuff. Since he transferred to the RCD prior to 1943, I can only assume that he wore the 14th CLH cap badge at some point. It is in brass rather than an officer's pattern.

Phil
Old 27-11-10, 11:43 PM

Hi all,

In my album on WW2 officers badges I have a superior construction 14 CLH badge which I believed to be a officers issue. I bought it with another ORs issue badge that had been gold plated and aside from the plating, similar to the typical, somewhat common badge.

My "officers" badge does not have the overlay that Geoff's wonderful example has or the later 14 CH badges. It is just much thicker and robust in construction and frosted gilt.

Greg
Old 29-11-10, 12:41 AM

Default 14th Hussars

Found this info in 'Canada's Army in WW2' by FR Tripp. ISBN 0-919801-11-0.
Page 31.
14th Canadian Hussars
see '14th Canadian Light Horse'
Climax, Sask.
The regiment did not wear the Hussars badge even though it received this title in 1940. It was redesignated the 8th (Reserve) Reconnaissance Battalion(14th Canadian Hussars) on 01 April 1940 and redesignated as a regiment on 08 June 1942.

"no badge was worn for this regimental designation during the war"

14th Canadian Light Horse
Climax, Sask.
The regiment entered the war period as the '14th Canadian Light Horse'.
It mobilized as the 14th Canadian Hussars on 26th Jan 1942. It landed in Normandy as part of the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division on July 06 1944.
The 8th (Reserve) Reconnaissance Regiment (14th Canadian Hussars) served in the Reserve Army.

Battle honours: Caen,Falaise,theSeine,1944,Antwerp-Turnhout Canal, the Scheldt, South Beveland, Twete Canal, Groningen, Oldenburg, North-West Europe 1944-1945.

The badge depicted is the 14th Canadian Light Horse badge.

I'm new to this and I hope it makes sense to our more expert members.

Cheers Al
Old 29-11-10, 01:29 AM

Default from 8Th Recce association site..

Old 29-11-10, 03:38 PM

Default One piece badge

Quote:
Geoff,

Is the silver horse an overlay, or plating?

Phil
Hi Phil,

The badge is one piece construction. The horse is a heavy silver plate over gilt.

Here are a pics of front and reverse.

Geoff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (48.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 003.JPG (44.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 29-11-10, 03:47 PM

Love the badge Geoff, wish it was mine..for Christmas

Greg
Old 29-11-10, 05:16 PM

Hi Greg,

It is one of my favourites as it just has a great look to it. I really wondered if an officers to the 14 CLH existed until fate stepped in and I found this one on eBay (with a buy it now feature). The vendor claimed that he had found a small number of them and that I had obtained his last one!