British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-01-08, 11:02 PM

Default Bullion copies Guards CSM...

Does anyone have any information on how to tell the difference between MOD issue Guards CSM bullion arm badges & the copies from Pakistan(?),etc.
Or can both be correct for supply here?

Cheers !
Steve
Old 02-01-08, 11:49 PM

Default Gurds RSM badges

Hmmm. I am sure somebody will not like my answer on this one but it is as follows. Though this is not always the case the MOD supplier will make them in Pakistan or wherever and then claim they are locally made or made in the UK etc and then they are official issue dont you know. I know a supplier in Canada who makes his sand cast cap badges in Pakistan and then marks it with his makers name on the back and sells them to the government. How they passed the quality inspection I will never know as they should have all been binned right away. I do not claim to have the only answer on this question but I hope this helps.
regards
Dave
Old 03-01-08, 12:05 AM

Thanks for that.
Understand the process. Have seen it at work in NZ. A friend in the Naval stores here ,showed me carded samples sent by badge makers from all around the world to fill a new issue badge supply. Luckily someone in a place of influence chose not be go with the 'bottom line' price only, as 'bean-counters' have a tendency to do! So the new badges were of a reasonably good quality,though still not the best offered.
A pity that the NZ Police Force did not follow the same principle B4 the phasing out of the Helmets & their large badges here. There are about 4 or 5 issues, that show the easily traceable path of degradation of quality ,from extremely well made items to total crap !

Cheers !
Steve

Last edited by dragonz18; 03-01-08 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-01-08, 06:26 PM

It does not matter who gets the contract as some of the most well known and respected manufacturers use out of the country places for their end item. This is not just confined to badges.