British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-08-11, 11:01 AM

Morning simon, 7am and on the forum, thats keen, lol.
Old 09-08-11, 11:08 AM

Yeah, up early this morning. Thought I'd beat the traffic.

Simon..
Old 09-08-11, 11:09 AM

Yes I think that would be a good idea to make them part timers. Would help save the economy a bit. Insurance payouts for tottenham are goinh to be astronomical and the government will end up paying a share.
Old 09-08-11, 11:17 AM

Well, I remember my when my parents lived in france for a few years. I spoke with an old Frenchman in a local cafe and told me when he was in Paris in the 60's he saw them in action. He said it reminded him of the Roman Legion. Five deep shield wall.
The officer in charge on the a megaphone announced to clear the street in 10 minutes, or all present would considered reactionary and would be dealt with accordingly. And by all accounts it was over in about two hours. I tend to think, the Brit's need to join the modern age and prepare for more of this over the coming decades. Especially with the economy etc and the changing social structure of the UK within that area in particular.

Simon.
Old 09-08-11, 11:36 AM

i read that in UK police , no riot special unit ?

in my unit (Gendarmerie) about 2 on 3 gendarmes start for 5 or 6 years in Gendarmerie mobil (like CRS)

you can found below a link about the job and training of theses units at ST ASTIER , we learn here special technique and tactical manoeuvre

you can see training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC1xN...eature=related

i imagine your police without special materials and training....
Old 09-08-11, 11:40 AM

Hi Frenchy, exactly on the mark. I think high time the Brit's catch up and get with the program. Quite a fearsome bunch. As I said, even the mention they were on there way would clear a street.

Simon.
Old 09-08-11, 11:58 AM

Theyve just kicked off in my local high street now.
Old 09-08-11, 12:05 PM

While we have such stupid human rights laws the vandals and wreckers can do what they like. The police are afraid to act as they will finish up being sued.
Special units should be ready , trained and mobile. During quiet periods they could be available to assist in drug raids, imagration raids etc.
But the government and the courts must give the police and special units their full support and not sympathise with the poor little man, woman or child who was injured while in the middle of a crowd that was attacking the police or property.
Eddie
Old 09-08-11, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
While we have such stupid human rights laws the vandals and wreckers can do what they like. The police are afraid to act as they will finish up being sued.
Special units should be ready , trained and mobile. During quiet periods they could be available to assist in drug raids, imagration raids etc.
But the government and the courts must give the police and special units their full support and not sympathise with the poor little man, woman or child who was injured while in the middle of a crowd that was attacking the police or property.
Eddie
Well said.
Old 09-08-11, 12:31 PM
Former Member

With 16,000 Policemen on the streets of London tonight, I think one or two young thugs might just get an introduction to Mr. Truncheon? I hope so anyway!

Andy
Old 09-08-11, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
Eddie
Absolutely

Mr truncheon, lol.
Old 09-08-11, 12:58 PM

hi all,

just seen new armoured police vehs in use on the news,maybe this is all to late.

dont know why rubber bullets and water cannon heve not been used so far as the are frquently used here in n ireland and we are part of the uk.

just hope all members that are in the affected areas are all ok

philip
Old 09-08-11, 01:02 PM

Andy,
As we know from Northern Ireland the use of a trunteon is not very effective against bricks, petrol bombs or other thrown objects.
A fast moving, well padded mobile support unit is required to Disperse the mob, take out the rabble rousers, recover any unthrown objects.
This squad requires the help of water canon, ruber/plastic roundands, and
cover by armed officers but, most importantly, they need the support of the entire government and population at large.
The ordinary London Bobby should not be put in that situation with or without his truncheon.
Eddie
Old 09-08-11, 01:12 PM
Former Member

Eddie,
I agree a little, however my point is that most of these thugs have probably never had their bottoms smacked never mind having a couple of lashings of a truncheon or baton... Crack a few heads and they'll soon go back to their X boxes, or ones they stole the night before! Never mind water cannon, tear gas and baton rounds.... a show of who's boss tonite should calm this down! (I Hope!) Our Policemen are well upto it, I'm sure, they just need to be backed afterwards, when they dish out what is needed

Andy
Old 09-08-11, 01:39 PM

I think, unfortuneately, they would get hung out to dry.