British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-08-11, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Default WW1 Medal Clasps

I try not to post about medals but thought this pic was unusual, I've never seen so many WW1 navy miniature clasps in one place. - these miniatures belong to a collector who has a most exceptional collection, to say the least.

I will add this picture in due course to a page I maintain on the British War Medal elsewhere on the net.

Navy clasps were approved for the British War Medal but were never issued due to cost, although as stated they do appear on miniatures occasionally. The Army officials also created a vast list of clasps but again they were never produced.

image copyright and the collection itself belongs to laurentowen. (reproduced here with permission.)

Old 07-08-11, 09:49 AM
Peter J

Mike,

'Exceptional' is the word! I was looking at this image of Jason's earlier, and note that he believes there are three more clasps yet to acquire. Any ideas what these might be?

Regards,

Peter.

Last edited by Peter J; 08-08-11 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-08-11, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Has he posted it elsewhere?

I just constructed it from four scans of the individual medals he sent me on friday.
Old 07-08-11, 09:56 AM
Peter J

Yes, here it is: http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=1122

PJ
Old 07-08-11, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Ok Peter that's fine, as long as I havent missed a thread already on it.

Not sure if there are more navy clasps, but do you know if the list of army clasps was ever published - I would be fascinated to see that!
Old 07-08-11, 10:05 AM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Ok Peter thats fine

Not sure if there are more navy clasps, but do you know if the list of army clasps was ever published - I would be fascinated to see that!
Me too, but no idea, I'm afraid.

I have resisted the lure of medals for fear of getting hooked. I have a passing interest in terms of genealogy, but nothing more; though I suppose it is only a matter of time .

PJ

Last edited by Peter J; 07-08-11 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-08-11, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I have a passing interest in terms of genealogy, but nothing more; though I suppose it is only a matter of time
It'll get you too eventually

Regarding these clasps for WW1 medals, probably better they weren't produced I'm sure prices would be a order of magnitude higher if they had been, and it's the memory of the man behind the medal that's the important thing anyway.
Old 07-08-11, 10:30 AM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
It'll get you too eventually

Regarding these clasps for WW1 medals, probably better they weren't produced I'm sure prices would be a order of magnitude higher if they had been!
Without a doubt (on both counts).

I wonder if Jason acquired all these clasps from the same source. Looking at them, they seem to be in pretty similar condition.

Peter

Last edited by Peter J; 08-08-11 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-08-11, 10:39 AM
Administrator

I've sent him the link to the thread. When I saw the summary of his miniature collection I fell off my chair and I feel it's all been together a long time.
Old 07-08-11, 10:41 AM
Peter J

I look forward to anything he might be able to add.

Cheers, Mike,

Peter.
Old 07-08-11, 12:51 PM

Just amazing sets! I'd like some of those just for the places mentioned!
Andy
Old 07-08-11, 05:10 PM

Default Miniatures

This collection was put together over a period of 40 years, by a gentleman who traded in coins and militaria in Jersey. I was able to purchase the entire collection in cash, so I was at the right location, right place with the right cash

I will sell off the collection in time and it has been offered in part to Norman Wood whom wanted part of the collection for his great collection of channel island militia items. http://www.jerseymilitia.co.uk/

It is my intention to keep certain items, but to offer the rest to collectors first. I have also booked a stall at the http://www.milweb.net/dealers/trader/markcarter.htm Aldershot Fair in early September.

Jasen
Old 07-08-11, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurentowen View Post
This collection was put together over a period of 40 years, by a gentleman who traded in coins and militaria in Jersey. I was able to purchase the entire collection in cash, so I was at the right location, right place with the right cash

I will sell off the collection in time and it has been offered in part to Norman Wood whom wanted part of the collection for his great collection of channel island militia items. http://www.jerseymilitia.co.uk/

It is my intention to keep certain items, but to offer the rest to collectors first. I have also booked a stall at the http://www.milweb.net/dealers/trader/markcarter.htm Aldershot Fair in early September.

Jasen
Very, very nice indeed! I would assume they are probably out of my price range but it is the ones with a Russian connection that interest me (Caspian, Black Sea, Siberia etc).
Regards....Andy
Old 07-08-11, 08:21 PM

Try here for some more background to the clasps.........

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/bri..._1918_1920.htm
Old 07-08-11, 09:55 PM

An absolutely fascinating collection, full of history and they certainly evoke thoughts of what took place at the places mentioned.

It also reminds us that the battles and confrontations took place, not just on the land and in the air, but also on the high seas in appalling weather and adverse conditions, with little hope of rescue for those subject to attack.

How scarce are these clasped medals?

I collect some medals to the Regiments I have an interest in, but I haven't seen seen naval medals with clasps before.

Maybe I haven't been looking, or they never appear in my searches.

Marvellous. Thanks for the post.

Regards
Brian