British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-01-12, 05:48 PM

Can someone answer me why badges are seen with lugs, even though the corps was set up in 1914. I would have imagined they should have been slidered, at least O/R's brass versions.

thanks
Simon.
Old 30-01-12, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Hope Forum Members are not bidding on this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-NICE-...item35b8f18281

Andy
Apart from the 'bridge' discussed here the makers mark is fake too.

Rgds,

Thomas.
Old 30-01-12, 06:04 PM

I think even without a makers mark, I would run screaming from that slider shape anyway for the period it was supposed to have been used in.

Simon.
Old 08-02-12, 06:19 PM

Default RFC unvoided

Andy with all due respect you have very strong opinions but that does not make you right. The RFC were a very large organisation by late 1916 and 1917 as somebody has already commented.

ON page 230 of "Badges & Insignia of the British Armed Services: The Flying Services" (by John Tanner - a collector of note) and published in 1974, he states for the RFC badge "an economy, or unpierced, variant is known". Yes reproductions did exist in 1974 of a number of badges, but if this was a commonly reproduced badge, by now we would have seen a lot more of them. Tanner would certainly have known this too.

Please identify for me the large numbers now circulating of the unvoided RFC badges, because if you can I will most certainly buy them. I have seen perfectly correct unvoided versions of the similar Royal Engineer economy on lugs, attributed to 1917, so why not the RFC one too? As an army unit, it would have been contracted out to the same manufacturers.

Last edited by Ashantee; 08-02-12 at 06:41 PM. Reason: typos
Old 08-02-12, 06:48 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashantee View Post
Andy with all due respect you have very strong opinions but that does not make you right. The RFC were a very large organisation by late 1916 and 1917 as somebody has already commented.

ON page 230 of "Badges & Insignia of the British Armed Services: The Flying Services" (by John Tanner - a collector of note) and published in 1974, he states for the RFC badge "an economy, or unpierced, variant is known". Yes reproductions did exist in 1974 of a number of badges, but if this was a commonly reproduced badge, by now we would have seen a lot more of them. Tanner would certainly have known this too.

Please identify for me the large numbers now circulating of the unvoided RFC badges, because if you can I will most certainly buy them. I have seen perfectly correct unvoided versions of the similar Royal Engineer economy on lugs, attributed to 1917, so why not the RFC one too? As an army unit, it would have been contracted out to the same manufacturers.
I'm sorry but I have yet to see a non-voided RFC badge that I would be happy to call genuine. Neither have I seen an Economy RE badge with lugs that I would consider genuine either. 1916 Economy badges with lugs of any sort are in my "strong" opinion to be avoided, again only my informed opinion, but the "ONLY" lugged c.1916 that I am aware of, is that of the Royal Scots!

If you search ebay you will see many "Solid" RFC badges, please do not waste your money.

Best regards and welcome to the Forum!

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 08-02-12 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Fat Fingers
Old 08-02-12, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
Can someone answer me why badges are seen with lugs, even though the corps was set up in 1914. I would have imagined they should have been slidered, at least O/R's brass versions.

thanks
Simon.
It was established in May 1912 to be exact.

Last edited by Alan O; 08-02-12 at 06:59 PM. Reason: capitalisation
Old 01-05-16, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post

thanks
Simon.
Clothing Regulations 1914 p. 142 Table XVI-Necessaries states about the Royal Flying Corps Badge, cap: For field cap the badge will be fitted with shanks and pin, and for forage cap, with vertical shank.

Rgds, Thomas.