British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-08-11, 08:09 PM

''edit: how about "swinging member"?.... ok better not go there''

No, I would probably wet myself laughing every time i got a message from a swinging member!!

Regards

Phil
Old 18-08-11, 08:19 PM

Hi Chap's,

Apologies for my late entry into this odd topic, one that I just noticed to be honest. Some interesting comments on both sides of the debate and I can't say that I have very strong feelings either way but never the less though I would add my tuppence worth.

I can say that I am not a fan of the term 'Guru' as to me it does imply that someone REALY does know what they are talking about, and tantamount to 'expert' which I'm sure none of us would want that moniker attributed to ourselves.

However the last point made by Eddie has validity. I'm a founder member and moderator on another military forum and certainly from the novice collectors point of view, to see a number of 'senior' contributors all expressing a similar opinion (be it negative or positive) on a particular topic does give a collector of less experience some confidence that their collective opinions do carry some weight. Perhaps (if not already suggested) a term such as 'veteran' could be applied to a member of some standing or 'time served'..? to me this suggests nothing more than a member who has been around for a while and although may indeed know something, certainly does not imply they are an expert and could be a good middle ground.

All the best, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 18-08-11, 08:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Hi Chap's,

Apologies for my late entry into this odd topic, one that I just noticed to be honest. Some interesting comments on both sides of the debate and I can't say that I have very strong feelings either way but never the less though I would add my tuppence worth.

I can say that I am not a fan of the term 'Guru' as to me it does imply that someone REALY does know what they are talking about, and tantamount to 'expert' which I'm sure none of us would want that moniker attributed to ourselves.

However the last point made by Eddie has validity. I'm a founder member and moderator on another military forum and certainly from the novice collectors point of view, to see a number of 'senior' contributors all expressing a similar opinion (be it negative or positive) on a particular topic does give a collector of less experience some confidence that their collective opinions do carry some weight. Perhaps (if not already suggested) a term such as 'veteran' could be applied to a member of some standing or 'time served'..? to me this suggests nothing more than a member who has been around for a while and although may indeed know something, certainly does not imply they are an expert and could be a good middle ground.

All the best, Roy.
You echoed my thoughts precisely Roy I think a happy medium could be reached rather than a one size fits all system. I know that there were members who were happy to be Gurus and many deservedly so. Surely something along the lines of: New member (1-100 posts), member (100-1000 posts), veteran (1000+ posts) and guru where appropriate only wouldn't be too hard to manage.

Ry
Old 18-08-11, 10:57 PM

I think anyone who visits the forum often enough soon figures out for themselves which member's opinions they trust on specific subjects. For me, that includes a lot of members with only a few hundred posts - some of those people have been members for years and are just not the chatty sort. Trying to single out and label "gurus" is not all that productive and just leads to discord. Rather, let their contributions speak for themselves! Cheers, Ian.
Old 18-08-11, 11:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
ok, Changed everyone to "Member" or "New Member" with a couple of exceptions.
Mike - Maybe I'm not allowed to ask this question ! Why 'a couple of exceptions' - I can understand identifying the boss and the moderators but why anyone else. Not that I know who they are or need to but I don't see the logic. Member ought to be good enough for anyone and everyone in my opinion - and it is only an opinion. David
Old 19-08-11, 09:52 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hello gentlemen,

In all honesty, I respect the opinions of most ( probably 99% ), of the Forum members and because of my lack of knowledge, particularly historical knowledge, I am not really in a position to disagree or argue !

I do have my own thoughts and occasionally express them, invariably ending up with my inherant " foot in mouth " disease showing immediately.

I do not care what a members description is when asking for advice, in most cases, said member knows more about the subject I am asking about anyway, as stated by Ian,' whizzbang '..........

Taking into consideration the fact that this thread was formulated or at least aired, following a conversation between myself and a very respected Forum member and a good friend to boot, I'm surprised that it went this far, especially as it was all meant to be a little light relief.

I think that to partly answer C. of the D.'s question, it looks as though I am one of Mikes exceptions but if it helps to appease David's sense of injustice, please revert to describing me as a ' member ' too.

Regards, Dave ( just an ordinary bloke ).
Old 19-08-11, 02:40 PM

I don't usually wade into the various arguments that crop up from time to time on the Forum, but this time I'm going to have my say. Having found myself recently promoted to "Forum Veteran", I object to being downgraded to "Member". The decision to do this to everyone on the basis of a few members' quibbles seems unfair without polling all members' opinions first.

Perhaps it is time to redefine exactly what consitutes "Forum Veteran", "Guru", etc. if these terms continue to be used. If "Veteran" is meant to be anyone who has been a member for x number of years, then leave it that way, but first define how many years (or time period) that is meant to be. It should not just be on the basis of how many posts they have made, otherwise every "For Sale" post or facetious comment (of which we're all guilty from time to time) would boost members' status too quickly.

A "Guru" should be someone that is looked up to by the majority of members for his (or her) vast amount of knowledge and wisdom. There are a lot of very knowledgeable members on the Forum, but probably few who would want that designation or really consider themselves that exalted or infallible.

As someone said, there are no "Experts", just people with opinions - some, I might add, very forceful, and not always right. Even the so-called real experts like K&K or Gaylor, are disputed, because there is always an unknown variant that proves a theory wrong or that their reference works weren't as comprehensive as they purport to be.

In the end, what we are referred to doesn't really matter. We are all Members whether we joined yesterday or many years ago. Anyone can see by the join date whether someone is a long-standing member, and by the number of posts how prolific he/she is. I just would like to have been consulted first before my stripes were ripped off and my medals melted down!
Old 19-08-11, 02:55 PM
Banned

I'm relieved that I didn't reach the exalted position of 'guru'. The idea of spending all those months meditating alone in the mountains, living on nuts and spring water, dressed only in a loincloth ................... it doesn't bear thinking about ! Simply a member - that'll do for me and I can enjoy the finer things of life - like beer and pork pies ! Whose round is it ?
Old 19-08-11, 03:23 PM
Administrator

The issue of these member titles has come up a few times, with various issues being voiced, so like the 'dealer list' issue before it, I have decided to move things to a neutral position - for the dealer list this meant it was deleted, so we now have no particular opinion on dealers, and these member titles have gone the same way - to the default neutral terminology.
Old 19-08-11, 07:14 PM

Mike, I don't think you should be putting the reliability of dealers in the same category as members' status; it's not the same issue. I still think members should have been consulted first before just changing everything like that. Does that now mean that davec2 is no longer "Master Artisan"? Why not eliminate the titles of Moderator and Super Moderator since we're now going all egalitarian and pinko? David
Old 19-08-11, 07:34 PM

Why not lets all get on with discussing British and Commonwealth Military badges and associated subjects.

It will be pretty obvious (" in my opinion", to use the current "in phrase " ) to decide which members opinions are backed up by knowledge and experience.

I dont see why Mike should be subject to pressure from members to change decisions he has made,at the end of the day if there was no Mike there would be no Forum.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 19-08-11, 07:37 PM
Administrator

I'll use an example to illustrate the problem as pointed out to me.

If someone with no knowledge of badges joins up and goes bananas for a couple of weeks asking a thousand questions racking up a thousand posts, then they become a "Badge Guru".

Now we know it's just a bit of fun; these labels - but lets say some new collector joins up now and our new "Badge Guru" offers advice to the new guy, but it's totally incorrect because he really 'knows nowt', he's just done a lot of posting - and our innocent new guy now sells (for example) his £200 rarity for £5 because it wasn't clear to him out little member labels are "just for fun" and doesn't actually reflect true depth of knowledge of our subject.

What I'm trying to say is it would be better if the forum moved away from the appearance of allocating "expertise" labels - even in jest, in case it's misinterpreted.
Old 19-08-11, 07:38 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi David,

The beauty of being the owner of this Forum is that Mike can do what he sees fit, it has obviously annoyed you, if the fact that at the moment he hasn't altered my description annoys you too, I would be just as happy being a member.

It really doesn't bother me, I've said on a couple of occasions that it is all meant as a light relief and I'm sure he doesn't want people falling out over this decision as they did over the dealers list situation.

On a personal note, I found the deletion of that list far more upsetting and annoying than his decision to revert everyone back to members, losing a title doesn't alter a person, we all know who is who and new members will soon pick up on the knowledgeable members by reading a few threads.

Just my thoughts, obviously.

Dave.

PS, My apologies, the last two threads were posted while I was writing mine.......

Last edited by davec2; 19-08-11 at 07:41 PM. Reason: PS
Old 19-08-11, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
at the end of the day if there was no Mike there would be no Forum.
+1

Just my 2 cents.
Old 19-08-11, 07:47 PM
Banned

Hi Gents,

I do feel a little responsible in a way for opening up that old thread. That said, the issue did need addressing before it became a problem.

It's a bit of a shame for the real Gurus but the point you make Mike highlights the flaw in the system perfectly and I have to agree that you are right.

How and why you put up with us old moaners I sometimes wonder.

Regards to all.

Ry (Member and pleased to be one)