British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-04-10, 09:29 AM

Default Hello everyone from a complete novice!

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello.

My name is Paul and I reside in Cleveland UK

I recently took ownership of my Father and Grandfathers war medals/badges and war memorabilia and became fascinated by the history surrounding these items.

It has become a natural progression to gather more info and now deciding to try and start collecting.

My badge collection currently stands at 3 all inherited, so I an anxious to start adding!

I am at a bit of a loss to where to start looking, starting at the weekend at a few car boots and visiting York on Saturday.

If any of you kind experts can give any advice I would be very gratefull.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul
Old 29-04-10, 11:40 AM
Former Member

Paul,
welcome to the Forum, does "Coldstream" mean you have a Blue/Red/Blue conection?

My advice to a starter would be to get hold of "Military Badge Collecting" by John Gaylor (£10-15 on Ebay) Pick a section or two and stick to it! I'm a maggpie with a wide range of interest, which makes picking up badges easier, but you'll end up with Thousands!!

Andy
Old 29-04-10, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Paul,
welcome to the Forum, does "Coldstream" mean you have a Blue/Red/Blue conection?

My advice to a starter would be to get hold of "Military Badge Collecting" by John Gaylor (£10-15 on Ebay) Pick a section or two and stick to it! I'm a maggpie with a wide range of interest, which makes picking up badges easier, but you'll end up with Thousands!!

Andy
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the kind welcome and advice on the book.

I picked this username because it was my Fathers Regiment, he was a proud Guardsman and after all I think he has fuelled my interest.

I think I will be a magpie also, budgets permitting!

Paul
Old 29-04-10, 01:40 PM

hi paul,

welcome you will get all the advice and help you need from the guys on here.dont be afraid to ask for opoinions on anything on here as you will get honest and geniune answers form all that can help

i started off buying from boot sales and the like,there are still bargains out there,although i had collected some in my service days.

philip
Old 29-04-10, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockape560 View Post
hi paul,

welcome you will get all the advice and help you need from the guys on here.dont be afraid to ask for opoinions on anything on here as you will get honest and geniune answers form all that can help

i started off buying from boot sales and the like,there are still bargains out there,although i had collected some in my service days.

philip
Hi Philip,

Many thanks for your reply and the welcome

Paul
Old 02-05-10, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Paul,

Andy
Hi Andy,

Took your advice and ordered the above book, will definatelly need it!

Paul
Old 02-05-10, 09:37 PM
L&BH

Hi Paul,
a huge welcome to you! No doubt you'll become addicted to badges very soon
Cheers
Phil
Old 02-05-10, 09:55 PM

Hi Coldstream,
if you are based near York there is a monthly militaria fair held in the village hall first sunday of the month in Outwood near Wakefield. A real honest and genuine fair full of knowledgable and honourable dealers. If a dodgy dealer persists in attending, they are forced by the other dealers to accept a position on the stage away from the creditable dealers. A small fair by comparison with some others but does a very good trade and is aimed at buyers not people walking about for a look-see.
Cheers, Dave