British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-08-08, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RTR View Post
141 RAC were originally 7th Bn The Buffs, and they did wear a silvered badge. 5th and 10th Bns Kings Own Lancaster Regiment became 107RAC and 151RAC respectively, with 151 being renumbered to become the new 107RAC in Dec 43!! Please don't ask why...! Again, a nickel-dipped badge was worn.

Dick
Dick,
I have two books giving personal accounts of the doings of 141 RAC and for the life of me i cannot remember which one describes the troopers brass Buffs badges being passed to the REME for chrome plating in the field. The two books are Flame Thrower by Andrew Wilson and In At The Finish by J G Smith. I think it is the latter book. I have lent both books to an old friend who served in 141 RAC and the latter account he tells me is very close to his recollections. However, it does not portray the true horrors of the Flame throwing tank. The flame was jellified high octane fuel that was ignited. If it got on your clothes it was extremely difficult to put out. This was a true weapon of horror. Very few flamethrower crew were taken prisoner, they were shot outright if captured! My friend later went on to be seconded to an experimental artillery spotting unit. The spotting was done from a Churchill tank!!!!! I am sure it would have been easy to quietly sneek through the lines to a concealed position without being spotted to direct artillery fire on enemy positions!!! The experimental unit did not last long in Churchills!!!!

Cheers, Dave
Old 11-08-08, 07:19 PM

Hello Deejayuu, about the book Flame Thrower(in front of me,Corgi ed.1973)doesn't say anything about the Buffs badge being plated or made of white metal,and I have read it twice cover to cover.
Jo

Last edited by Voltigeur; 11-08-08 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-08-08, 07:22 PM

Thanks Dave -I too read an accoubt of that process, and like you, cannot remember where it came from! Shame on me!