British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-09-17, 10:24 PM

Default RNXS Badge

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what this badge is please?

Thanks a lot,

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170914_194547.jpg (86.1 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 20170914_194604.jpg (43.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 14-09-17, 10:48 PM

These are sold as officer beret badges, however, my stepfather was RNXS and he told me (as i also have one) that at HMS Essex all ranks wore the same badge without a wreath. He said he had never seen these 'officer' badges before anywhere.

Maybe he was just unobservant but as as he was a LT himself and I have seen his cap and beret with the standard badges on both..........who knows. His cap had a standard RN officer badge.

Regards,

Phil
Old 14-09-17, 11:27 PM

Default RNXS Badge

This IS an RNXS officers beret badge. They were introduced in 1977 and worn until the RNXS was disbanded in 1994. Prior to that date a standard badge (without the laurel leaves) was worn by everyone.

And officers in the RNXS did not wear caps only berets. This was the only headgear ever issued to members of the RNXS - regardless of rank. Even when the RNXS uniform was improved in the late-1970s the beret was retained as the replacement of berets with caps was deemed too expensive. The beret was retained as the sole headgear until the RNXS was disbanded.

Pete

Last edited by Guzzman; 14-09-17 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 14-09-17, 11:36 PM

Not at HMS Essex, it appears, but its nice to know they are actually legitimate.

His cap must predate his RNXS days. That hadn't occured to me.
Old 14-09-17, 11:41 PM

Default RNXS Badge

Hi Phil

Nice to know I'm not the only one browsing the site at this time of day!

Pete
Old 14-09-17, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzman View Post
Hi Phil

Nice to know I'm not the only one browsing the site at this time of day!

Pete
Hello Pete,

I don't get home from work until around 11pm Bedtime at approx 3.30am

I will have to question him on these badges again, as it seems odd, in fact always has to me, that he has not seen them. Until your above post, he was my only 'reliable' source of information. I had no reason to doubt him. Its nice to learn the dates of use, thank you for those.

edit: Would his cap have been connected to his RNR service? He was also a merchant navy officer with British India.

Last edited by Phil2M; 14-09-17 at 11:52 PM.
Old 15-09-17, 06:39 AM

Unless he was serving in the RNR before the end of the First World War (which I doubt!) his cap badge would have been the standard Royal Navy officer's cap badge. Prior to the amalgamation of the Royal Naval Reserve with the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve in 1958, the RNR consisted entirely of men who made their living at sea - normally in the merchant navy. An officer in the merchant navy who joined the RNR would be an officer there too.

Pete
Old 15-09-17, 08:46 AM

I served in the RNXS Guernsey unit for about seven years up to it's disbandment along with the rest. I never advanced beyond Leading Auxiliaryman but our officers had caps with the standard RN officer's badge. I don't believe I ever saw this badge.

Eddie
Old 15-09-17, 09:27 AM

Loads of images here.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rn...NgKVqs7uB_YqM:
Old 15-09-17, 10:10 AM

Thanks a lot for the help everyone, that's great.

Michael
Old 04-09-18, 11:04 AM

I recently bought a sealed pattern for these badges, I will post pictures on thursday.
Old 06-05-19, 07:15 PM

Default RNXS Badge

Please excuse my bringing up an old topic - again! - but I have just been undertaking some research in BR81, Royal Navy and Royal Marines Uniform Regulations, 1984 and I came across some information which might settle the matter of whether or not RNXS officers wore RN officers caps or not.

Chapter 14 deals with the uniform of the Royal Naval Auxiliary Service.

RNXS officers uniform is stated to be as follows: -

BLUE UNIFORM. Blue uniform suit with white shirt, black tie, beret, black socks and black service shoes.
WORKING UNIFORM. Heavy wool jersey, worsted/poyester trousers/blue diagonal serge skirt, white shirt, black tie, beret, black socks and black service shoes.

Amongst the kit listed to be issued to RNXS officers upon appointment are: -
beret, blue, RN
beret badge

The officer's beret badge is fully described in section 1412: -
The beret badge to be worn above the left eye is of metal and enamel and consists of a representation of a mine splash in silver on silver waves all on a blue background, the whole surrounded by a gold rope and surmounted by a naval crown in gold and the letters RNXS in black, within a wreath of gilt laurel leaves.

The regulations even list the items of kit which may be purchased and worn by RNXS officers in addition to issue kit: -

Gloves, brown cape
Jacket, windproof
Shoes, black leather, officer's
Trousers, working, worsted/polyster

As can be seen there is no reference to an RN officers type cap and/or cap badge either amongst the uniform issued, the uniform available for purchase or amongst the description of uniform to be worn.

If any RNXS officers were wearing such caps they were doing so illegally and totally against their own uniform regulations - which I feel is unlikely. I know that NCS (Naval Control of Shipping) officers of the RNR were often attached to RNXS units and they would have worn RN officers caps and cap badges. It is possible, indeed probable, that these were the officers that former members of the RNXS remember seeing.

Pete

Last edited by Guzzman; 06-05-19 at 10:44 PM.