British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-04-13, 08:29 AM

Default WW2 South African formation badges

hi, I wonder if anyone can identify 2 of the formation badges shown on the photo attached. The triangular one is WW2 South African 6th Armoured Division. The other green and yellow badge with a Royal Artillery type red/blue flash superimposed on it is presumably a South African artillery unit but which one?
The white/pale blue badge came with the others. Itis not a 'washed out' Royal Signals badge. Is it a South African signals unit?

Any help would be appreciated

thanks, dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sa.jpg (60.6 KB, 52 views)
Old 28-04-13, 11:05 AM

Hi Dave,
The 6DIV sign is correct and was worn on both upper arms.

The green over yellow with red/blue superimposed is for South African Railways and Harbours Brigade HQ unit. Helmet flash worn 1918 - 1924

The blue/white badge I am not sure on, but may be a WWI South African unit flash as worn on wolsely helmet.

Regards
Steven
Old 28-04-13, 09:33 PM

Default South African formation badges

many thanks for the quick response Steve, much appreciated, Dave
Old 29-04-13, 05:18 AM

Hi Dave,
Looking at the blue/white flash. I notice the corner of the blue is in fact green. I have some shoulder boards that are the same blue with patches of dark green. These should originally be a dark green and has obviously washed out leaving the blue.

If yours is the result of laundry, washing out the green to blue, then your flash may be WWI Cape Peninsula rifles (also worn by 5th South African Horse in German East Africa WWI). This was a helmet flash worn as a diamond with white colour facing forward and green to the rear.

Regards
Steven
Old 29-04-13, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmed View Post
If yours is the result of laundry, washing out the green to blue, then your flash may be WWI Cape Peninsula rifles (also worn by 5th South African Horse in German East Africa WWI). This was a helmet flash worn as a diamond with white colour facing forward and green to the rear.
If the colours are indeed "washed out", then a further possibility might be that this was originally green and yellow, in which case it would be the 1st SA Division flash from WWII. It was worn on the sleeve, with the yellow half uppermost.

Arthur
Old 30-04-13, 08:18 AM

thank you Arthur & Steve, I think the photo may have mislead. Its not green but a 'mud stain'. On the reverse, the blue is slightly darker. I have checked the other one of the pair and that is the same. Under a magnifying glass, in the seams the colour is blue with no evidence of green. I am fairly certain that the colours are not washed out.
what a minefield!

many thanks Dave
Old 30-04-13, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the update Dave,
Unfortunately I cannot help further. This may or may not be SA related. Research I have does not point to it.

Steven
Old 02-05-13, 07:16 AM

many thanks for your help Steve, Dave
Old 19-12-13, 06:22 AM

Default Some new info on the R&HB flash

Hi,
Originally I identified the R&HB flash as been worn between 1918-1924. This was taken from a sheet prepared at DHQ in 1956, but now I have my doubts.

1. During the period 1918-1924 there was no Railways & Harbours brigade, though there was an infantry unit called Railways & Harbours Rifles.
2. The red/blue portion indicates an Engineer unit and the R&HB was reconstituted as an infantry/engineer unit in 1946. The unit was disbanded in 1951.

To my surprise I discovered some pictures on flikr of the 1947 Royal Tour. Some of the pictures show the then Princess Elizabeth inspecting a Guard-of-Honour of the R&HB and the flash in question can be seen as an arm flash (red/blue superimposed on green over yellow). The picture can be seen with this link ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/hilton-...57622494463509 )

Regards
Steven
Old 19-12-13, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrickoshae View Post
The white/pale blue badge came with the others. Itis not a 'washed out' Royal Signals badge. Is it a South African signals unit?

Any help would be appreciated

thanks, dave
hi dave
im not sure the pale blue and white patch is SA. often these colour patches were confused between, SA, new zealand and australia.
i think its australian 28th battalion WW1. it would have been worn in a diamond shape, pale blue to the bottom white on top
bc