British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-01-17, 08:18 PM

Default Trench Art value?

I wonder if someone could help me with the item of trench art in the attached photo please? As can be seen, this has a North Staffordshire Regiment cap badge on it, a wooden base, is about 4¼" (11cm) tall and has a diameter of a little under 1¾" (4.5cm).

I bought it a few years ago with another similar piece that had an all-gilding metal Leicesters badge on it, but given I have no interest in the North Staffords there seems little point me holding on to this, and so I am now looking to part with it.

As I have no idea whatsoever about the value of trench art objects, would around £10 be a fair price for something like this? Any advice or opinions on matters would be gratefully received. Thank you.

Regards

Martin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg North Staffords Trench Art.jpg (33.0 KB, 76 views)

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”
Old 20-01-17, 09:09 PM

Values for trench art is very subjective and is affected by many factors, but I would say that £10 was a fair and sensible price. A dedicated North Staffs collector might well pay a bit more.

Jerry
Old 20-01-17, 09:21 PM

Default Trench art

Martin,

I think £10 would be a bit of a bargain, I have seen these things for a little more than that possibly £20?

Rob
Old 20-01-17, 09:29 PM

what markings are on the bottom?
Old 20-01-17, 10:42 PM

Default Comments about Trench Art

Hello Jerry, Rob & Phil

Many thanks for all your responses. I think Jerry’s comments about the price of such things being subjective is probably true, and as Rob says it could, in the right circumstances, maybe fetch nearer £20.

However, £10 is more or less half of what I paid for both items so it wouldn’t seem right to try and ask more. I’m not looking to make a profit on things, merely recoup what I have spent so as to reinvest in something I do want.

In answer to Phil’s question, it has a plain, unmarked, wooden base. I don’t know if the fact it is unmarked would make a difference? Anyhow, thank you again for the postings gentlemen, much appreciated.

Best regards

Martin

Old 26-01-17, 01:43 AM

Phil2M, Did you, as I, suspect it might be a shell casing? (your question, what marks are on the bottom?) Then I noticed no rim, so PART of a shell casing? Then there would be no marks. Possibly part of a 40mm shell casing? I would put it back to a tenner! Regards, D.J.
Old 26-01-17, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artynut View Post
Phil2M, Did you, as I, suspect it might be a shell casing? (your question, what marks are on the bottom?) Then I noticed no rim, so PART of a shell casing? Then there would be no marks. Possibly part of a 40mm shell casing? I would put it back to a tenner! Regards, D.J.
Yes I did, as date can be a significant factor in the value, I wondered if it had anything there to indicate the year. I think you are right though, it could be a cut down shell casing.
Old 26-01-17, 10:11 AM

I would also think that this is a cut-down shell, possibly utilisedas a flower-vase/receptacle.
After the War, Virtually every household in the Port environs over here had 2 or more large naval shell casings ornamenting the front hall or lobby and these were kept gleaming

GTB
Old 26-01-17, 11:19 AM

Default Trench Art - cut-down shell?

Many thanks for the latest responses gentlemen. I understand now why Phil was talking about markings on the base – I did say I didn’t know anything about trench art, or shell casings for that matter! So £10 would be a fair price, and is pretty much what I paid for it. Accordingly I did post it up in the Classified section here at £14, as this includes postage as a small packet signed-for (i.e. recorded delivery), which is £3.95, so that means I am actually selling it for £10.05. Anyhow, thank you again for the postings on this.

Best regards

Martin

Tags
north stafford, trench art