British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-01-21, 01:04 PM

Default Cross Cannons

Hi

Can anyone identify this badge. It belonged to my late father in law. He served with the Army Service Corp in WW2 and was with his medals and cap badge.
Many thanks for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Robert Taylor Badges-2.jpg (61.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 25-01-21, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Hello FrankMac, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 25-01-21, 02:37 PM

Frank,

He wouldnt have worn that badge if he was in the RASC.

Its only worn in the Royal Artillery and its a Gunnery Instructors arm badge worn in conjunction with rank badges on the arm.

Still worn today.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 25-01-21, 03:42 PM

Smile Thanks

Hi manchesters

Thanks for the information and the prompt reply. He must have picked it up as a memento from somewhere.
It will have to stay in the box and not get mounted with his medals and cap badge.

Many thanks

Frank
Old 26-01-21, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMac View Post
Hi manchesters

Thanks for the information and the prompt reply. He must have picked it up as a memento from somewhere.
It will have to stay in the box and not get mounted with his medals and cap badge.

Many thanks

Frank
I would mount it with his other badges even though he wasn't entitled to wear it. It obviously meant something to him as he kept it. People had large families in those days and it might have belonged to a family member or a good mate.
Old 26-01-21, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMac View Post
Hi manchesters

Many thanks

Frank
I agree, he didnt wear it, just owned it. I own a lot of badges that I wouldnt want in a frame with the ones I wore.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 26-01-21, 01:34 PM

I agree, if it came with other items keep them together.

I have a early homemade LDV arm band that came with a 51st Highland Division patch. When I asked the person I got it from about the patch she said she didn't know why that patch was with the arm band as he never served in or had any association with the 51st she knew of. In any event, I am keeping them together.

Terry
Old 26-01-21, 06:18 PM

Default Bits...

In my family alone, my Grandfathers wore KOYLI, Middx Cadets (pre WW1)Queens (WW1), Royal Signals (WW2), my father wore RA, my cousin RCT, my brother Para Regt and me Queens Regt.
Although the Army these days is tiny bear in mind that it is within memory that millions wore uniform. I have inherited items that are completly outside even the broad spectrum above. Where did my Grandfather on my Dads side get a 1906 Olympic medal?? How did Great Aunt Bulgaria have an RN sword and a set of Kings Colonials buttons ( and why was there a jar of ashes under her bed?).
Some of these questions may never be answered, but they're part of my family history. Just this week a cousin that I met at my fathers funeral sent me a set of photographs of my Grandfather and his brothers in WW1. Lots of info there I'll have to study.
Keep it all and publicise where it came from.
Ian H

Tags
cross cannons, ww2