British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-09-16, 05:23 PM

Default RCAF Aerobatic team patches circa 1960

The Golden Hawks were formed in 1959 and celebrated anniversaries of Powered flight and the RCAF. Aircraft flown at this time were Sabre 5’s. The first group of pilots were McCombe, Rozdeba, Kerr, Annis, Price, Stewart and Holt under the lead pilot, Fern Villeneuve and their shoulder patch, designed by F/L Ken Roberts, is quite rare and highly prized by collectors. It shows a group of hawks diving to the 8:00 o'clock position (attached 1).
In 1960, a new patch design for the Golden Hawks was introduced. This 2nd issue of this patch consisted of a blue felt circle over a white felt base over which was superimposed the stylized hawk’s head diving in the 4:00 o'clock position. The hawk extended beyond the circular image. I believe it was used for a year at which point it was complimented with a 3rd issue in 1961. You can find a mixture of the 2nd and 3rd issue of the patches on jackets, uniforms and tech’s coveralls during the period 1961-64. The 2nd issue patch is usually (but not always) back-stamped with the manufacturer, “Dominion Regalia” a Toronto based company, and measures 5 3/8” at the maximum diameter in an unwashed patch. I have one example of this version that is without the hawk’s mouth – probably a manufacturing slip-up. In the 3rd issue of this era, the hawk was reduced in size to fit within the outer, circular stitched patch. One can occasionally come across another smaller “Golden Hawks” patch of simplified design in red and white on a yellow felt base that was used on squadron (baseball) caps. The Hawks were officially disbanded on Feb 7th, 1964.
Another demonstration aircraft existed contemporary to the Golden Hawks. The Red Knight started out in 1958 as with F/L Roy Windover flying a solo T-33 #21057 painted in bright red. I am fortunate enough to own a few patches from the period of the Red Knight and ‘64, ‘67 and ‘69 are illustrated here. The 1964 issue of the patch was entirely done in chenille whereas by ’67, only the plume was done in that manner. If anyone would care to sell me the years missing here, I would be most grateful! The program was cancelled in 1969 amidst controversy after the 3rd pilot died flying the Red Knight in that decade.
I would refer the reader to Dan Dempsey’s excellent, high quality book, “A Tradition of Excellence” for detail on Canada’s military aerobatic aircraft history. Larry Milberry also has a great deal of information in his publications on the RCAF.
As always, corrections or comments about dates, design, etc. would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golden Hawks, 1959 1st issue, designed by FL Ken Roberts..jpg (115.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Golden Hawks, 2nd issue, 1960.jpg (69.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Red Knight, 1964.jpg (82.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Red Knight 1967.jpg (89.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Red Knight, 1969.jpg (40.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 02-02-21, 10:11 PM

Default 1964-ish RCAF Aerobatic Team -unk Team Badge

I picked this up today...a Canadian Stealth Maple Leaf , a friend of mine got it from a lady who told him that it was from 1964 Golden Hawks.....I really don't believe that it is , and, that's why I didn't buy the first time that it was posted for sale on e-baie - it's actually a nice quality badge (9.5" x 5.5"), however I am unable to find anything that looks like this beauty ?!

- I was thinking maybe 1954 Fireballs RCAF Sabre Team...what do you think ?
- any powerful and handsome men out there who may know this badge? Or any individual for that matter ?! Thanks - Ted O
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1964 -ish Vintage Stealth Maple Leaf.jpg (62.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg FIREBALL Red 1954.jpg (38.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 03-02-21, 03:59 PM

Hi Ted.
I saw this patch too but didn't recognize it as being Golden Hawks or anything else from the RCAF but new things always pop up. It could be from a Commercial Airline firm.

I did know Chuck Keating (Team Leader) and visited him several times in his latter years. The only item he had from the Fireball days was a copy of the photo with the 4 red aircraft, taken at Baden I recall by Jeannie Hallowell. I don't think he had any additional stories that haven't already been written about. I also don't believe there were any patches associated with the short history of the Fireballs but again, I may be mistaken.
Old 03-02-21, 04:49 PM

Awesome paint scheme on the Sabre

Mike
Old 03-02-21, 05:17 PM

I hadn't seen that pic of the lone red, #415 Sabre before today but I'll go out on a limb and say it wasn't one of the original Fireball aircraft. In looking around online, I see a photo of maybe 10 Sabres painted in the red scheme but I think the 1954 Fireballs only had the four aircraft painted, did they not? Was the entire squadron painted red at Zweibrucken?

Does anybody know where the red Sabre Squadron came from and when they were painted red? Note the difference in the relative location of the aircraft number vs. the Roundel to the Baden pic of the four Fireball aircraft.
Old 03-02-21, 06:33 PM

A quick google search shows that a red Sabre was at the 1955 Toronto Air Show.

Mike