British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-02-17, 08:58 PM

Default How to date paste back S/T ... ?

Hi,

There is a lot of different makers for S/T titles and formation signs during ww2 ...

Is it possible to date when "paste back" appeared ?

Best regards .. Herve
Old 20-02-17, 02:15 PM

This from an earlier post may help

Jon

A brief history of the cloth titles worn at the top of the arm, not to be confused with the slip-on shoulder titles.

As Frank says they were introduced for service Dress in 1902 but did not last long. They were widely worn by Territorial units in WWI and also adopted by the Foot Guards. Between the two world wars they were retained by many TA units and some of the Foot Guards.

When Battle dress was introduced they were only authorised for the Guards but many regiments wore them anyway as they were more colourful than slip-on titles. The War Office fought a long battle to get these unofficial versions banned.

In 1943 printed titles were introduced for all regiments and corps in a standard format. Universally disliked many replaced them with privately purchased embroidered versions the majority of them what is now known as pasteback titles

They were retained in the postwar Army and from about 1949 were officially issued in embroidered form. In the 1950s some regiments were authorised to wear coloured titles in place of the standardised red and white titles - the Essex Regiment adopted a version with yellow letters on purple. They died out when battledress was replaced by combat dress but although not universal have made the occasional comeback. The Foot Guards wear them on No2 Dress and they were recently authorised for the bands of the Corps of Army Music.
Old 20-02-17, 02:34 PM

Hi ,

Thanks ... I did not found this previous post.

So I understand that embroidered titles were un unofficials after 1943.

But IMO there is a difference between the embroidered titles with gauze backing and those glue coated (paste back), who are usually called "late war" ...

Best regards .. Herve
Old 20-02-17, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Herve, from the research I have done, it appears that the starch backs for Canadian units did not come out until very late spring or early summer 1945.
Old 20-02-17, 10:23 PM

Hi Bill,

Many thanks ... so very "late war" !

I think I have seen a 1st Canadian Parachute Bon made like that ...

There is a high probability that british titles are of the same period ...

Best regards .. Herve
Old 21-02-17, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Herve, Yes, part of the research was based on questions about the starch back 1 Cdn Para titles. I think I have put this out before, and it is also discussed in my up-coming book and Ken Joyce's, that the starch back 1 Cdn Para titles came out after the Bn had returned to Canada. A few "left over" personnel, late in returning may have acquired the starch backs, but the majority of the Bn were back in Canada by mid June 1945, preparing for the Canadian Army Pacific Force. Their titles, looking identical to starch back, had a cotton backing layer.