British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-10-11, 04:58 PM

Default Royal Artillery Economy/1917 issues?

Hi Guys,

I'm a little confused. The Royal Artillery badge with the reinforcement bar behind the crown was authorised in 1917, correct? so I have just been looking at Longshanks' album and noticed that his RA 1917 badge has voided wheels, heres the thing, I have a 1916 economy strike here:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=49678

but it has the reinforcement bar, Longshanks' 1916 badge doesn't. So what is mine?

Should I be looking for a nonreinforced economy strike and a voided 1917 badge?

Cheers

Phil
Old 05-10-11, 05:19 PM
Former Member

Default Royal Artillery Economy Badges

Phil,
there a few (at least 4-5) variations of the 1916 RA Economy badge, all of which have different areas of non-voiding! I am away from my badges at the moment so cannot reply with images, but if you scan old threads I've shown my examples in the past! It seems as you say the strengthening bar was authorised c.1917, therefore having not seen a badge like yours before I was guess it's a 1916 pattern made post 1917? If that makes sense?

Andy
Old 05-10-11, 06:26 PM

Yes that makes sense Andy, cheers. I will update my title in the album and go thread scanning.

Cheers,

Andy
Old 08-10-11, 02:17 PM

Phil, The War Office archives reveal that there were two official patterns of 1st WW RA badges. The first was the 'unpierced' of August 1916. Incidentally, the crown was meant to remain pierced, but there are lots of examples with a 'solid' crown. These badges were officially made obsolete in November of that year. There are, of course, thousands of these about and it is possible that production did continue.
The second specific pattern was that introduced in May 1917. This was to have a "special shank and strengthening". The 'shank' (=slider) was to be the "hairpin" type bent over flat to the badge. The strengthening was the copper loop, or loops, brazed on to the crown area. I could not find any order rescinding the production of this type and it may have been produced for years !
Interestingly, there are a number of examples which are 'unpierced' which also have the special shank and strengtheners too ! This indicates, of course that the unpierced ones were still plentiful in 1917.
(The one in my collection - on my 1916 album - is unpierced, with unpierced crown and with special s and s behind ! - not unique, I've seen others). J
Old 09-10-11, 03:29 PM

Thanks Julian, any objection to me quoting you in my album?

from what you and andy have said i think im right in now believing my example is just a badge made during the transition period. I will look out for a proper economy and a proper 1917 example to go in the collection at a later date.

of course the issue is now raised that my standard RA OR badge was issued in 1917 and yet it is neither economy or reinforced or a hybrid!

Cheers

Phil