British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-09-11, 08:58 PM

Default Signals Tam o Shanter?

Did the Royal Signals ever wear a Tam o Shanter during WWII? i.e Scottish Signal Regiments? And if so what Tartan backing would it have been?
Old 09-09-11, 10:26 PM

15th Division with corps colours instead of tartan backing.

Rgds,
Thomas.
Old 09-09-11, 10:46 PM

So a Blue and White Backing? I've also heard that some signallers wore the Black Watch Backing as they were part of the 51st Div, is this true?
Old 09-09-11, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rordog95 View Post
Did the Royal Signals ever wear a Tam o Shanter during WWII? i.e Scottish Signal Regiments? And if so what Tartan backing would it have been?
Something close to what you're looking for, technically not proper dress for a Canadian officer but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...oviqqavs023t31

Personnel of the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa buying 7th Victory Loan bonds, Maldegem, Belgium, 7 October 1944. (L-R): Sergeant S.L. Shaw, Lieutenant H.L. Adams, Private R. Shea. Photographer,Grant,Lieut. Donald I.,

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 10-09-11, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rordog95 View Post
So a Blue and White Backing? I've also heard that some signallers wore the Black Watch Backing as they were part of the 51st Div, is this true?
I have seen a WW2 ToS for signals with a drak blue square behind the badge. It is also possible that signallers wore the backing of the regiment that they were attached to.
Lee
Old 10-09-11, 09:22 AM
Banned

The Corps museum has a couple of Tam o Shanter examples - both have the dark & light blue backing to the cap badge. I have also seen an example of a swatch of Black Watch tartan with Corps cap badge on a ToS. Just from memory. David
Old 13-09-11, 12:46 PM

Default signals and TOS

Dear Rory.

Would you believe it. I have just updated my little web site www.signalsbadges.co.uk with a photo of Signaller George Arnott who served in the 51st Highland Inf. Div Signals.

The photo is very clear with George wearing his TOS with Black Watch backing and "Jimmy" to the front.

Go into the site and enter the UK Section. I have depicted the pre 1946 badge on a Black Watch backing. Click on the badge and you will see the write up.

Cheers

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Old 13-09-11, 01:16 PM

Default Signals TOS

rcs_51_highland_inf_div_signals_or_blackwatch_bi-metal_1939-1945.jpgDear Rory

Herewith George Arnotts photo in the TOS and Signals badge. The photo was taken in August 1945 and the Division was dosbanded in 1946.

Cheers
Chris Waloker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Old 13-09-11, 03:42 PM

Many thanks guys, next question, would an Airborne Signaller ever a Tam o' shanter? Even in the early days? I know 5 Para did before the Maroon Beret.
Old 14-09-11, 03:20 PM

Default Tam O Shanter Royal Signals

Dear Rory.

In reply to the last of your questions, I am afraid you have me there. I have no idea at all.

The only person on the Forum that may have a clue is Quicksilver. If he dosen't reply to this thread give him a PM under the name Quicksilver.

Cheers

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Old 14-09-11, 10:34 PM

Thanks Chris for suggesting that I might know the answer to the question of T.O.S. being worn by Signals. I regret that I dont know the answer. What I do know is that Dress Regulations are a very good guide and are mainly followed by British Regiments and Corps, but at least two things can happen. There are always people who wish to buck the system and wear what they want, especially when going home on leave, and also some regiments have been known to "encourage" Signals (and other corps) personnel to wear their head-dress when attached and I have even been told that sometimes they have been strongly encouraged to wear the cap badge of the regiment that they are serving in. There were Highland and Lowland Divisional Signal Regiments and I dont know what they wore as headdress but anything is possible. I dont think a Signals backing would have been worn though. More likely to be a regimental backing with a Signals badge and probably unofficial.
Alan Harfields book on Signal insignia is very good and not expensive. Have not had a chance to have a look at it today but dont think there is anything in it re this subject.
Rgds Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walker View Post
Dear Rory.

In reply to the last of your questions, I am afraid you have me there. I have no idea at all.

The only person on the Forum that may have a clue is Quicksilver. If he dosen't reply to this thread give him a PM under the name Quicksilver.

Cheers

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Old 15-09-11, 06:24 AM

I was in 32 (Scottish) Signal Regiment (V) LAD REME and wore a glengarry with Grant badge backing and brogues , on enquiring about this I was told that dress regulations said that attached personnel could be instructed to wear up to two embellishments of the parent unit . Similarly when a member of RHG LAD we wore brass shoulder titles (over REME cloth) and followed the regimental custom of not wearing gaiters with boots and saluting while not wearing head dress. I would imagine that this also applied to Royal Sigs attached