British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Colonial Police and Paramilitary Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-05-23, 07:37 PM

Default Somaliland Scouts or Somalia Gendarmerie?

I’ve just bought this black and white print (presumably an official photograph) marked on the back in pencil 3” Mortar Somaliland Scout and a ref. no., but the flash he wears does not tally with photos I’ve found online which show Somaliland Scouts wearing a ‘square’ flash of a single uniform colour, usually with the regimental badge mounted on it.

However his flash is consistent with the green/white/green flash worn by the Somalia Gendarmerie, so is it possible that whoever annotated the photo made a mistake? My knowledge of the Somaliland Scouts is limited, so can any of our more knowledgeable members confirm or debunk my thoughts that this actually shows a Somalia Gendarme? As a gendarmerie they certainly received infantry training to help defend the borders and rural areas from incursions by Axis forces, and raids by heavily armed groups of bandits and rustlers, so training in support weapons such as mortars is quite likely.

The other photographs attached show Somalia Gendarmes wearing the headdress flash, and a colour reconstruction based of descriptions found online.

As always I shall be very grateful for any input from members, and the usual caveat: should this prove to be a Gendarme I will be keeping it, if it is proven to be a Scout it may be available for swap/sale.

Thanks for looking

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0001 (2)b.jpg (55.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: png Som Gend flash.png (1.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg scan0006 (3)b.jpg (61.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg scan0014 (3)b.jpg (48.8 KB, 27 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 06-05-23, 03:52 PM

Graham does this help? Not mine just an image in my archive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20201222-204713.jpg (78.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 06-05-23, 05:33 PM

Thank you Sean that is a help, as it is completely different to the SG flash maybe I'm right.

Much appreciated mate, thanks again.

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 06-05-23, 06:11 PM

As you said earlier, I have only ever seen the Scouts badge on Green but who knows, red and green is often associated with SDF,
I would go with yours being Gendarmerie until you discover otherwise.