British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-06-08, 07:25 PM

Default Rank pips

This whole metal rank pip thing has always confused me. I am refering to the colours and not the number. Also the different sizes. Some are a little larger than the common ones, others are smaller.

Here is one I was tying to describe last evening while talking with a local collector.

These pips are sort of a white/silvery wash to them. They have the red centres, so I think they would be Infantry... but why the gilting?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unknown pip.JPG (80.7 KB, 55 views)

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 28-06-08, 07:44 PM
David Douglas

Default Rank pips

Hi - The 'pip' illustrated seems to be a base of silver plate which would suggest a pre 1908 Volunteer officer. The colours you speak of relate to the arm or service under which the officer serves - Line Infantry, Corps, etc. but, in essence, the 'pip' follows the insignia device of the Order of the Bath - I have even seen 'pips' advertised as insignia of the Order - the world is full of idiots ! The subject is very wide but essential study for anyone wishing to know precisely what it is they have. Yours, incidentally, is a very nice one - do you have others of the same ? Regards. David
Old 29-06-08, 11:47 AM

Some regiments have particular designs for their pips , for example the Guards,then was it the Middlesex and South Wales Borderers who I think had the Eversleigh Star ?( someone will tell me if I am wrong)

Some rifle regiments and battalions had blackened pips and other regiments originally had bronze pips on service dress changing to gilt and enamel and more recently to anodised.Small pips in gilt and enamel which I have seen I tend to think where for mess dress.

Mention has been made of silvered pips worn by volunteers,there also chromed pips worn by the Police and SJAB

BUT the subject of pips does not generally appear to be covered by dress regulations and I wonder if it is maufacturers variations which account for the large number of variations in gilt and enamel pips that you come across.

I recently wanted 4 pips to replace missing ones on a tunic. I found a dealer with plenty of pips for sale but it took a little time to match up 4 identical ones.

P.B

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 29-06-08, 12:21 PM

I have just found the attached pair of pips in my spares box which I had forgotten all about.They are blackened white metal- no idea which regiment(s), could be rifle vols ?

Pips offer a wide area for cheap collecting ( pity they rather on the boring side )

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6990.jpg (62.5 KB, 49 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 29-06-08, 03:26 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Default Pips

With reference to the different colours of the pips: silver, gilt etc - green/plain laurels, red/blue enamel, plain with motto on etc.
Can anyone point me to where I can find out to which branch the different colours relate to?
Thanks.
Old 29-06-08, 03:34 PM

Hello lads, It's great to hear I am not alone in regards to the confusion in regards to pips. Also nice to hear that I am not the only one who has had trouble trying to match up pips that are missing.

I got these pips quite some time ago in a grouping of insignia. The group was advertized as small box of odds and ends, possibly military. It had a few brass titles, many other pips of various sizes and colours, along with a few collars and cap badges.

I think they could be silver base metal, I never really though about it. I have included a scan of the reverse of one. Also I have included a scan of the slip on they came on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unknown pip reverse.jpg (35.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg gilted pips (Medium).jpg (74.9 KB, 47 views)

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 29-06-08, 03:54 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Default Pips etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylon1357 View Post
Hello lads, It's great to hear I am not alone in regards to the confusion in regards to pips. Also nice to hear that I am not the only one who has had trouble trying to match up pips that are missing.

I got these pips quite some time ago in a grouping of insignia. The group was advertized as small box of odds and ends, possibly military. It had a few brass titles, many other pips of various sizes and colours, along with a few collars and cap badges.

I think they could be silver base metal, I never really though about it. I have included a scan of the reverse of one. Also I have included a scan of the slip on they came on.
Pylon1357,
One of the sets I have is similar to yours - whereas yours have green laurels on white, the ones I have are green on gilt - they have same red enamel background to the motto.
wright241
Old 29-06-08, 04:45 PM
David Douglas

Default Rank pips

In response to the query about which colour combination of pips relates to which unit, the National Army Museum archive really is the place to go. If you don't have a reader's Ticket, just write and apply for one they're free and are renewable every year. It gives unlimited access to the archive which is second to none. Just to complicate matters -have you noticed how the backing material on cloth pips varies from unit to unit ? That too is an example of the wide variety of colour combinations relative to wearing pips. Beware pips that are not military in origin - SJAB, RSPCA, Red Cross, Church Army, Salvation Army, Boys Brigade, etc. They tend to be chromed but some are gilt/brass. Regards to all. David
Old 01-07-08, 09:23 AM

Default Different Pips

With a few exceptions, most of the minor variations found in pip (star) size and finish appear to be differences in manufacturer. Obviously smaller size pips were worn by Brigadiers, in order to fit 3 onto the epaulette. Small pips were also worn on mess dress. Bright frosted silver and dull blackened silver were worn by both the Canadian Intellegence Corps and Chaplains. Chaplains also wore blackened bronze. Both dull bronze and gilt were worn on service dress.
Enamelled and unenamelled pips appear to have been worn without regard to pattern .
From the top: 2 very small gilt RCMP mess dress 1930s; 6 small Brigadiers service dress 1940s; frosted silver crown and pip, C INT C blue patrols late 1940s; bronze crown and pip service dress 1940s; gilt enamelled and gilt plain, service dress 1940s - 1960s; bright silver C INT C service dress 1960s; 2 small dull silver RCAChC blue patrols 1960s.
NB: the pips were properly worn with the single center crown at the bottom.
Old 01-07-08, 09:27 AM

Default Size differences

Example of the difference in size of pips worn on gold shoulder cords:
Brigadier and Captain
Old 20-06-12, 08:25 AM

Default Pips/crowns on bullion shoulder cords

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cameron View Post
Example of the difference in size of pips worn on gold shoulder cords:
Brigadier and Captain
I have a pair of similar shoulder cords with screw-on button fastenings (Northumberland Fusiliers) Can anyone explain how the rank pips-crowns are attached? There's no way the standard two-lugged pips will fit without damaging the cords, as far as I can tell. Are there rank insignia with special fittings for these?

Lawrence
Old 20-06-12, 12:09 PM

I had similar ones in white metal with green and red enamel years ago, I was told they were Mess Dress, my Mess Dress rank slides are different from my normal ones.

Cheers
Jim
Old 20-06-12, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgee45 View Post
I have a pair of similar shoulder cords with screw-on button fastenings (Northumberland Fusiliers) Can anyone explain how the rank pips-crowns are attached? There's no way the standard two-lugged pips will fit without damaging the cords, as far as I can tell. Are there rank insignia with special fittings for these?

Lawrence
The stars and crowns for the shoulder cords have very long pieces of wire which are pushed through the cord and bent over.

Marc
Old 20-06-12, 01:24 PM
Former Member

[QUOTE=8thfoot;15547]Some regiments have particular designs for their pips , for example the Guards,then was it the Middlesex and South Wales Borderers who I think had the Eversleigh Star ?( someone will tell me if I am wrong)

Peter,
Guards Officer's wear Stars, I think you'll find it's citrus fruit which have pips!

Andy
Old 20-06-12, 05:16 PM

Thanks Andy,

Is it really 4 years since I posted that.

Peter

Tags
officer's rank, rank badge