British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-03-19, 09:55 PM

Default Royal Irish Regiment Uniform Patches

Hi All
I am looking for help to identify these patches please.
The soldier was in the Royal Irish Regiment and the photograph was taken after he returned to Ireland from France in 1918.
The white and blue rectangle could be signaller or battle patch, it is not a divisional patch
There appears to be a number 8 below this, which could be the 8th Battalion of the Regiment but if so this is the first time I have seen a battalion number on a Royal Irish Regiment uniform.
Picture isnt great, was taken through glass frame and wasnt allowed to take it out.
I know his name and number but records non existent on any of the usual pay sites.
Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56255395_10156324693603129_6282061386105225216_n.jpg (30.6 KB, 60 views)
Old 31-03-19, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBobster View Post
Hi All
I am looking for help to identify these patches please.
The soldier was in the Royal Irish Regiment and the photograph was taken after he returned to Ireland from France in 1918.
The white and blue rectangle could be signaller or battle patch, it is not a divisional patch
There appears to be a number 8 below this, which could be the 8th Battalion of the Regiment but if so this is the first time I have seen a battalion number on a Royal Irish Regiment uniform.
Picture isnt great, was taken through glass frame and wasnt allowed to take it out.
I know his name and number but records non existent on any of the usual pay sites.
Cheers
I think the badge you are perceiving as an '8' is, I believe, a bomb-thrower/mortar gunner badge.

Badge.jpg

Sorry I cannot help with the other badge.

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 01-04-19 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-04-19, 12:16 AM

I cannot really tell what the colours are from the photo is it really white & blue?, the only thing I have that might be relevant is the following from the 1919 IWM Questionnaire return of 2 R.Irish held at the Imperial War Museum.

"On joining the 63rd (RN) Division in May 1918, a patch 2 1/2 " x 1 1/2" of regimental colours blue red green was worn on the shoulders by all ranks. alt 1 1/2 square patch for companies , A, Red B, Blue C, Yellow D, Green"

Does not state on which arm worn or indeed if both arms, unlike the entry just above this one which states that while the battalion was in 16th Div, the divisional badge was worn on both sleeves.

From my records 2 Bn, 5 Bn 7 Bn & the Depot answered the 1919 questionnaire and there were no answers to the 1917 questionnaire by any units of the regiment (I am open to correction on that). The battalions response is dated 2 Oct 1919 and the cover note states that the response is provided by Maj. (bt Lt Col). H.G. Gregorie DSO as a description of the dress marks etc. of the battalion during the war.

I tend to agree with "JT" on the lower badge.

John

Tags
insignia, irish regiment, patch, uniform, ww1