British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-04-16, 03:04 PM

Hi Roger,

I couldn't agree more regarding John's research, a really splendid job. As you say the back mark is incredibly interesting and it is going to be fascinating keeping an eye out for examples that may be marked similar in the future.

Your comments on the reference to the King is always something to ponder one.

With such an established business (as it would appear from the newspaper notification) it is a wonder more example of these mark haven't been noted.

Cheers, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 02-04-16, 03:08 PM

Hello Roy

Yes, it does all make you wonder whether it was just a 19th century version of 'hype' - exaggerating the length in business and the reference to the King - just to encourage customers!

I guess we may never know but I will certainly be on the lookout for the same backmark!

Roger
Old 02-04-16, 06:22 PM

Hi, sorry to slightly divert your thread, Roy, but to the button lads: is there a reference book that deals with back marks? Or is the knowledge just from peoples private research and years of observation?

OK, back to your splendid button, Roy

Tim
Old 03-04-16, 09:04 AM

Hello Tim

There is no book (that I am aware of ) specifically covering button backmarks. They get a mention in several books relating to buttons but don't go into much detail. It would, indeed, take a book to cover all aspects of just British military backmarks!

Most of the available information is from a series of articles in "Button Lines" (Journal of the British Button Society) which has been added to and repeated on various internet sites over the years (just search button backmarks). Some of the original errors in the "Button Lines" articles have been repeated on the websites so all the info needs to be taken with a degree of caution.

There is an excellent book by Peter Nayler, "Military Button Manufacturers from the London Directories 1800-1899" (now out of print, I believe) which covers the names, address and dates of most of the London based button manufacturers. This does not cover the backmarks on buttons and obviously a 'business' address is not necessarily the same as a 'backmark' address but the book is very helpful in pinning down details of name and address changes and dates. Copies do come up on ebay and Amazon from time to time.

Roger
Old 03-04-16, 10:20 AM

Much appreciated Roger

Cheers,
Old 05-01-20, 11:44 PM

Greetings all,

I thought I would revise this thread with a new button to my collection that adds a little more detail to this topic.

The button is for the Louth Militia. However the back mark reads 'W&E Jones Dublin' (with laurel spray).

This brings the initials for William and Edward onto the same backmark. I haven't quite worked out yet if/how this can help me narrow down the date for this button but open to any/all help or advice.

P.s. Roger....I miss you and hope your are looking down and not laughing too much on my efforts.

Cheerio,

Roy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7861.jpg (48.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7866.jpg (47.0 KB, 18 views)

Old 06-01-20, 08:02 AM
MarkGD

Roy, that is a lovely piece, well done - Regards Mark
Old 06-01-20, 10:40 PM

Thanks Mark,

It's a cracking early button, so thrilled to have it in my modest collection.

Cheers,

Roy

Old 18-07-20, 06:17 PM

Hi, just joined to discuss an Irish Constabulary button that I unearthed today.
This thread seems to be about the makers Jones from Cork Hill Dublin.
What is interesting is that all the posts to date discuss E or W Jones.
The back mark of my button omits the first initial and simply says Jones Corkhill Dublin. Is this a different manufacturer or a later/earlier variant of the back mark? Below are a couple of images.

Many thanks.

https://imgur.com/a/bol20f0

Last edited by AllanW; 21-07-20 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-08-20, 10:58 AM

W Jones was based and operated from 7 Golden Square London.
Very nice buttons.
Old 02-08-20, 04:17 PM

Thanks Rockfish,

Appreciate your input on this topic.

Cheerio,

Roy

Old 25-05-22, 10:59 AM

Default e. jones, 2 cork hill, dublin

just note that E. Jones (Button maker) returned to 2 Cork Hill and is registered there until c.1839 when Foley is listed at that address.
Old 29-11-22, 09:13 PM

Hello Roy, I just discovered this great forum while Googling "W. Jones Corkhill Dublin" because I have a button with that particular backstamp and found this thread. I believe you had asked if anyone else had a button with this exact backstamp, so I am replying now. I haven't photographed the button yet, but will if it is of any interest here. It is a perfectly flat button about the size of a U.S. Dime with a typical Royal British Crown on the top, the classic Irish Harp at the bottom, and Old English font capital 'C' on the left side and 'G' on the right. There is a fine horizontal lined background. I am wondering if the letters might stand for Constabulary Guard? In addition to the larger lettered W. Jones address on the back, there is much smaller lettering above this that I believe also says "button maker to the King". If no one responds to this post I will probably begin a new thread with an image of it. I acquired this button from a metal detectorist who I believe found it in North Carolina, or Georgia, USA, but I will try to get more info. I bought some 'dug' U.S. War of 1812 American buttons from him and had hoped this one might have been lost at the same place and time.
Old 03-07-23, 04:06 PM

I know this is an old thread, but just to let you know that Joe McDonnell & Seamus Corballis have the 2nd Edition of "BUTTONS OF THE IRISH MILITIA 1793-1881." out now. Its a easy to use book with line drawings and photos. I am glad I bought it.