British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-12-11, 02:52 PM

Default Yorkton Regiment

There seems to be very little information available about this Regiment beyond it's location (Yorkton, Saskatchewan) and the dates of it's existence (1924-36). Does anyone else have any more information? Thanks.
Old 29-12-11, 07:30 PM

From Wikipedia:

Lineage

The 64th Field Battery traces its ancestry back to the 1920 reorganizations of the Militia and the creation of The Yorkton Regiment on 15 May 1924.[1]

During the 1936 reorganizations, The Yorkton Regiment was redesignated the 64th (Yorkton) Field Battery of the Royal Canadian Artillery on 15 December 1936.

The 64th (Yorkton) Field Battery did not mobilize for the Second World War initially.

In 1941, an active service unit was raised, which saw service with the 6th Canadian Infantry Division on the west coast. The battery later travelled to the United Kingdom, where it was broken up for reinforcements. Concurrently, a reserve battery continued its part-time service in Saskatchewan. Both batteries bore the designation "64th (Yorkton)".

After the Second World War, the battery was briefly designated as a heavy anti-aircraft battery, before converting back to field artillery in the mid-1950s. Originally a sub-unit of the 53rd Field Artillery Regiment, RCA, the battery was reassigned to the 10th Field Regiment in 1968.

From Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan:

64 Field Battery in Yorkton traces its lineage to the Yorkton Regiment, one of four regiments created when the North Saskatchewan Regiment was reorganized on May 15, 1924. The Yorkton Regiment was converted to artillery on December 15, 1936, and designated the 64 Field Battery. It constituted one of four batteries of the 17th Field Brigade Royal Canadian Artillery (RCA) that served in World War II. Following the war, the batteries of the 10th, 17th, and 22nd Field Brigades RCA were reorganized into the 10th Medium Artillery Regiment RCA. The early 1960s saw the Regiment converted to the 10th Field Artillery Regiment RCA. Today, the 10th Field Regiment has two batteries: 18 Field Battery in Regina and 64 Field Battery in Yorkton.

Apparently Michael Dorash has a book dealing with them, Yorkton's Gunners: The Story of the 64th Field Battery
Old 29-12-11, 08:54 PM

Thanks David but what I was getting at was information specifically about the Yorkton Regiment. If I remember right I found the name of one of it's commanding officers. But beyond that and it's dates of existence and photos of it's cap badge, collar dogs and shoulder titles (I have a complete set of all three) nothing. I actually joined the 64th Field Battery in 1975 and there was not any information in the armoury about the unit existing. I never heard of the Regiment until 2002 when I saw a new memorial just off the highway outside of town. I know the unit was only around for 12 years but thought there would be more information readily available.
Old 29-12-11, 10:12 PM

Try the book Saskatchewan's Prairie Soldiers. The author's name escapes me right now.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 29-12-11, 10:20 PM

8 years in existence and not much happened if search results are anything to go by. They do have nice badges though -- I want one! Maybe some of this will help; at least you can populate the regimental roll by three or four!

Calgary Herald, 7 May 1930, notice of long service medal
Canora, Sask.-- Major S. L. Waterman, Yorkton Regiment.

Library & Archives Canada:
12. LABAN , A.V. Major Yorkton Regiment 1900-1969
13. Laban , A. V. Lieutenant-Colonel Yorkton Regiment 1900-1969

Veterans Affairs (re 'A.B. Smith'):
His maternal grandfather, A.B. Smith, served in the Italian theatre with the Yorkton Regiment, while Donald Huntley, his other grandfather, served with the North Battleford Squadron.

An online history entry:

Lieutenant Alex. Ross

Affectionately known as 'Turkey', he was a lawyer in the legal firm of Ross and Bigelow in Regina at the time of his entry into the 95th Regiment. He was appointed to the rank of Captain November 7, 1910, taking over the duties of Adjutant of the Regiment at that time. His promotion to the rank of Major was dated April 1, 1912. As the Senior Major of the 95th (Saskatchewan) Rifles be became the Second-in-Command of the 28th (Northwest) Battalion, C.E.F. He succeeded Lieutenant Colonel. Embury on September 19, 1916 and retained this appointment until October 1, 1918. He was promoted Brigadier General and commanded the 6th Canadian Infantry Brigade (the Iron Sixth) from October 2, 1918 until its demobilization in 1919. He was six times mentioned in Dispatches, made a C.M.G. awarded the D.S.O. and Bar, the 1914-15 Star, the British War Modal, the Victory Medal and the Victorian Decoration ( Auxiliary Forces Officer's Decoration). He was, for many years, an Executive Officer of the Great War Veterans Association and the Canadian Legion. He was appointed Honorary Colonel of the Yorkton Regiment, December 12, 1927. Brigadier General Ross was for many years a District Court Judge in Saskatchewan and is now retired (1960) and living in Yorkton.

A pdf of a relocation (general order amendment) here.

After that, there is just a giant black hole in Yorkton, I guess.
Old 29-12-11, 10:25 PM

Author of Saskatchewan'sPrairie Soldiers 1885-1980 is Maurice V. Winton.... not much extra in the write up for the Yorkton Regiment than has already been given by David S except that it was also affiliated to the British Duke of Wellington regiment
Old 29-12-11, 10:53 PM

Thanks everyone. This information is greatly appreciated. It is interesting to know that Kamsack once had a company.

Paul