British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-04-11, 07:55 PM

Default 'The Badge'

Opinions/experiences please fellers.
Who in your Regiment/Corps/Battalion etc was referred to as 'The Badge'. In my own experience it was the RSM. Does this differ from unit to unit?

My reason for asking is that is has been pointed out to me that 'the badge' is a SSM and the RSM is the 'stick man'. Now, if I had referred to one particular RSM of my past acquitance [yes, I mean you ronnie the rottweiller], I am sure 'the stick' would have been inserted somewhere painful.

And to the member who pointed this out to me, if I am wrong, please humbingly accept etc etc......

T
Old 08-04-11, 08:01 PM
Banned

Hello T,

In the REs it was always SSM = The Badge and RSM = The Stick Man.

Regards

Ry

Last edited by Charlie585; 08-04-11 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-04-11, 08:06 PM

RSM is his/her official title, unofficially he, or indeed she, may be known by a variety of other terms such as: The Badge, Razzman or Tara but I have never heard of the 'Stick Man' but then again every regiment has its own ways!

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 08-04-11, 08:29 PM

When I was in the RTR at the Royal Armoured Corps Training Regiment, Cambrai Barracks, Catterick the best turned out man on guard mounting as judged by the orderly officer was known as "Stick Man" and allowed to fall out and have the night off!

I have heard RSMs referred to as "Tara" - don't know the origin.

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 08-04-11 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-04-11, 08:34 PM
Banned

Hi Tim,

yes the term "Stick Man" was also the best turned out soldier on guard mount, I even managed to have the honour myself once or twice and earned the night off.

As for the RSM, as Mike states, "Razzman" was also a term used. "The Badge" however was always the SSM.

Regards

Ry
Old 09-04-11, 06:50 AM

From "A personal History of the 8th Irish Battalion,The kings Liverpool Regiment " published in 2004 by Jim Fitzsimons-

" a mispronunciation of RSM (Ta-s-em ) by an intake of men from the Kings Own Regiment was quickly noted and the RSM was from then on nicknamed with the title of Tara "

Dont know if there is any truth in this or if there was another reason for the name.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 09-04-11, 12:12 PM

Re SSM's being known as 'The Badge' I was in the RAOC which had more SSM's than RSM's and as far as I know we never used the term at all. The RSM were 'RSM' and SSM's were 'Mr' as were WO1 Conductors.

As I wrote before every Regiment or Corps had its own customs, and what is used in one, may have a differant meaning in another.

Several RAOC units also had a 7th man on Guard Mounting, the best turned out being made 'Stick Man' I made it once only to stag on as one guy was AWOL it being a Friday night and he went home for the weekend (he replaced me on my next Saturday guard)

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 09-04-11, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
From "A personal History of the 8th Irish Battalion,The kings Liverpool Regiment " published in 2004 by Jim Fitzsimons-

" a mispronunciation of RSM (Ta-s-em ) by an intake of men from the Kings Own Regiment was quickly noted and the RSM was from then on nicknamed with the title of Tara "

Dont know if there is any truth in this or if there was another reason for the name.

P.B.
I can understand the mispronunciation of the TSM as Ta-s-m but can not get my head round the letter R being pronounced as Ta. All academic really as I have never heard of the term 'The Badge'. Also a TARA in the Royal Regiment of Artillery was a 'Technical Assistant Royal Artillery'. And 'Stick Man' as per Mike's post reference Guard Duty.

Marc
Old 09-04-11, 05:20 PM

The Foot Guards retain The Sergeant Major not even "regimental" and never abbreviate to RSM. This will date back to the changes of 1915 when, for the first time in the infantry, an inferior sort of Sergeant Major was brought forth.
Old 09-04-11, 05:56 PM

Sounds like I was right then, usual variance between Regiments/Corps. So, no-one is right and no-one is wrong. Thanks everyone for the 'clarification'!

But if there any other views, please keep this one going, we can all keep learning.
T.
Old 10-04-11, 07:18 PM

Have often heard Company or Squadron Sgt Majors referred to as "The badge" and the RSM referrred to as "The Big Badge"

Paul L