British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-02-13, 11:17 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default " Heads-up " ??????`

Hi folks,

I know there are some who dislike the action of others giving warnings about impending sales items, particularly when the are interested in said sale themselves and the link is displayed for all to see ? it has happened to me and I guess it is part and parcel of the hobby ??

However, I was recently given a heads-up by a member , no name no pack drill, via the PM facility, he knows who he is and I am forever grateful for his warning, consequently, I was able to buy these rather nice collar badges, quite expensive but very much worth it.

The main reason for this post, apart from making a certain person aware publicly, that I was grateful, is to highlight a certain badge which has caused me a problem, the problem will be resolved if I get to Stratford and it concerns a certain collar badge described as possibly to the Royal Fusiliers.

I said it was wrong for several reasons and others tried to compare it to another badge but now I have one of " the other badges " and the difference is there for all to see, the first three photo's are of my new acquisitions and the last highlights the good from the wrong.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg London 3 481.jpg (72.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg London 3 482.jpg (71.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg London 3 484.jpg (88.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg London 3 485.jpg (100.0 KB, 67 views)
Old 22-02-13, 11:34 AM

Dave the 'dud' looks to have a clean area where the original central device would have been, not a rose something else? George and dragon? I wonder.
Tony.
Old 22-02-13, 12:02 PM

Can you tell me more about the first one with a 7 Dave?
Old 22-02-13, 12:15 PM

Hi Tony,

I hope this finds you well ?

If I remember correctly, most of the Fusilier Regiments had a badge of this design and size, at the time, my argument was that in the case of the Royal Fusiliers, their version was actually a gilding metal, imitation of the bullion badge.

Coupled with the fact that the rose was so small ( it turned out to be a ' medal rose ' ), I was convinced it was wrong, then, when Malcolm kindly gave me a boss badge with the correct size of rose on it, I was convinced.

Basically, if anyone has any of the Fusilier ' grenade ball ' devices, my badge will make a presentable, early collar badge to the regiment the device represents.

Take care.

Dave.

Last edited by davec2; 22-02-13 at 12:44 PM.
Old 22-02-13, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
Can you tell me more about the first one with a 7 Dave?
Hello Paul,

Long time no speak ? I hope you are all well ?

I can only tell you what is written in Churchill's ' History of the British Army Infantry Collar Badge ' reference book ! I would take a photo of the section but my camera's batteries decided that now was a good time to call it a day ??

An image of the badge is the first one in the R.F.'s section, entitled Pre 1881, The 7th ( or Royal Fusiliers ).

By an order, 2nd October 1872, those Fusilier Regiments that were providing their own collar badges were permitted to wear embroidered grenades, provided no expense was incurred to the public. This applied to the 7th and their worsted embroidered grenade collar badges were sealed 18th October 1872, Pattern No. 9284.
A special brass fused grenade Pattern No. 9542 was sealed 17th May 1875, ' in lieu of Pattern No. 9384, worsted embroidered grenade '. This had seven point flames and on the ball the ' Rose within the garter and crown over it '. Additionally the United Red and White Rose had the Arabic numeral 7 superimposed on the centre. Two types are recorded, one with a large ' 7 ' ( Fig. 185 for 5mm size ), whereas that in ( Fig. 186 ) is 2.5mm. This badge was also worn in gilt by senior NCO's.

There you go Paul, I can never understand double dutch but I can write it ?? I hope this is the info you wanted, I would be interested in what odds people will give for me pairing this one ???

Dave.
Old 22-02-13, 01:56 PM

Thanks Dave- I have often considered buying that book but as I don't collect collars I have not been able to justify it. Might get a cheep second hand copy one day if I get lucky. Regards, Paul.
Old 22-02-13, 02:14 PM

Hello Paul,

It is a useful book to have whether you collect collars or not, some books are just worth owning on face value ! this is one I think.

Dave.
Old 22-02-13, 04:02 PM

I would agree with Dave about Churchill's book. I don't collect collars either, but the book is a good way of determining whether what you have is a collar or something else. My only gripe is that the illustrations are not of great quality so detail is hard to see sometimes.
David
Old 22-02-13, 06:17 PM

NF(TF)2 (Medium).jpgPICT0577 (Medium).jpgWWA 4 (Medium).JPG
PICT0565 (Medium).jpg

As a comparison here are some images of Northumberland Fusiliers officers collar badges on some of the tunics that I own. The first two images are Volunteer/TF collars, but with a slightly different hue to the facings. I have a 'regular' officers jacket too but haven't had time to photograph and upload it. Other collars represented are the vertical mess dress collar and horizontal collar from the officers 'blues'.