British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-05-16, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Not necessarily as they may have had lots of London Sliders to use up but they certainly do seem to have started to use Bham ones from c.1964 judging by the '58 bde badges.
Old 02-05-16, 06:06 PM

Does anyone know how their London mark was actually applied onto sliders, was it still done by hand, there does seem to be very considerable variation in these marks, from my own point of view, perhaps rather more than their B'ham mark, I'm only referring to anodised badges in this post.

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 02-05-16 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-05-16, 06:22 PM

Hi Frank,
According to a Birmingham History Forum an Erica Watts who went from Sales through various post to Managing Director was a vigorous Brummagen and changed the dies from London to Birmingham as they wore out, there is I think a forum member Warstone ( Warstone Works- Gaunt Factory) who had commented on this on that forum and he may know more detail and dates for the period this happened
Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Does anyone know how their London mark was actually applied onto sliders, was it still done by hand, there does see to be very considerable variation in these marks, from my own point of view, perhaps rather more than their B'ham mark, I'm only referring to anodised badges in this post.
Old 14-01-18, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexb View Post
I think it is likely to be a wolf's head, not a griffin's. The Wolf's Head was a Gaunt trademark. It is included in a J R Gaunt & Son letterhead that was reproduced in "Button Lines" (the journal of The British Button Society), Issue 79, June 1994. The letterhead is undated, but it shows Gaunts' first Warstone Parade factory, that burned down in 1912, as well as two other Gaunt trademarks, that were Thurkle trademarks originally; Gaunts took over Edward Thurkle (sword cutler etc.) in 1899.

I do not know whether Gaunt's were granted the Wolf's Head trademark themselves, or whether it was another of Thurkle's marks. Gaunts were certainly using it by 1902, as it is part of the backmark on a US Infantry Officers button, 1851-1902 pattern, in my collection. The backmark includes the words "BEST QUALITY LONDON", but not Gaunt's name or initials. Another button in my collection has a plain front, while the back shows the Wolf's Head and "EXTRA QUALITY J R G".
For continued interest I have a large (25mm) gilt officers button of the Royal Engineer Services and backmarked 'J. R. GAUNT & SON Ltd. LONDON' with griffon or wolf's head & shoulders on torse facing left at 12 o'clock. A beautiful strike

GTB

Last edited by GTB; 14-01-18 at 03:58 PM. Reason: correction
Old 15-01-18, 04:11 PM

OK, it is probably me but I am still a bit confused with the Gaunt B’ham mark. I have seen several metal shoulder titles with Gaunt B’ham mark most notably a couple of 9th RS in white metal, in particular the 9|V|RS|HIGHLANDERS which I guess is pre-WW1. Does this mean it is a restrike?

Bryan
Old 13-10-19, 02:21 PM

Some interesting information regarding a recent incarnation of Gaunt, I don't think it's been posted before on the forum:

http://j-r-gaunt.blogspot.com/2016/0...-lyon.html?m=1
Old 13-10-19, 06:05 PM

Thank you Leigh. I have informed a former director of Gaunt he had been pestering many years ago presenting himself as a Gaunt family member.

Last edited by btns; 13-10-19 at 07:27 PM.
Old 13-10-19, 06:39 PM

The linked item says that the company are based in the Warstone works. I find that odd as TKS are in the building. It's the old building that used to house Gaunts.
Old 13-10-19, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
The linked item says that the company are based in the Warstone works. I find that odd as TKS are in the building. It's the old building that used to house Gaunts.
It is part of the smoke and mirrors. The director's home address was in London. "Stephen Gaunt" was the name of the person mentioned in Leigh's message.
As far as I could track it down he managed to get himself a 'hallmark' as 'Gaunt' and then used this registration to become an E-bay Vero member.
The horn buttons from the links may be related to his attempts to revive James Grove & Son.
I have bumped an old thread.

Last edited by btns; 13-10-19 at 07:40 PM. Reason: bumping old thread
Old 13-10-19, 07:54 PM

Chaps,

I did a bit of correspondence with someone who called himself 'Stephen Gaunt' when I was writing my A/A book. I did not get very far with this person and quickly put them down as a '...bit of a nutter...' and someone probably best not to associate with.

Regards,

Chris