British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-06-16, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
This outstanding quotation in full:

“The face I remember best from the pictures of the surrender is the face of Montgomery’s chief intelligence officer, and he was not at all a victorious looking figure in his spectacles and unbecoming khaki beret, looking less like a soldier than a university don - which, as it happens, he was. Tiemeloberg is not a very glorious kind of place. It is no Waterloo or Blenheim and no grand obelisk remembers what happened there. The soldiers assembled on that day were hardly a heroic army, the crumpled troopers only anxious to get home, the plain teetotal field marshal in his rough battledress. None of them much wanted to be on Luneberg Heath: but there, all the same, the homely British consummated the long and bitter duty by which, at the end of their epic insular history, they saved Europe by their example.”
Nicely said Mike.
They all seem to have short memories. Luckily someone did something!!
Old 25-06-16, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv View Post
They all seem to have short memories.
Maybe like those who seem to be attempting to hijack our Capital since they lost the democratic vote to leave the EU shambles this week

Quote:
Luckily someone did something!!
Shame we can't do something about them, maybe that day will come, it may yet have to

Ry
Old 25-06-16, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 585 View Post
Maybe like those who seem to be attempting to hijack our Capital since they lost the democratic vote to leave the EU shambles this week

Shame we can't do something about them, maybe that day will come, it may yet have to

Ry
Have you not done enough to them and to their future? Look at the % of the young voters who voted to stay in Europe. What was it? Getting on for 80% wanted to stay in the EU?

In fact, the majority of people under the age of 50 voted to stay in Europe.

It was the 50 to 65 group and above all, the 65 plus group who voted to leave.

How many of the OAPs will be around to suffer the consequences that the young will suffer?
Old 25-06-16, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Nicely said Mike.
They all seem to have short memories. Luckily someone did something!!
It was a united British people that stood up to Hitler.

Are we united now?
Old 25-06-16, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post
It was a united British people that stood up to Hitler.

Are we united now?
There appears to be divide, but I see the UK population coming together and getting on with it.
The undiplomatic language emanating from Junkers and the 6 FM is not helping the situation.
BTW when did the Foreign Ministers of the 6 founding nations speak for all the other 27, will the views of countries most impacted(like Ireland and Poland) be heard?
Its now time for quiet diplomacy and not megaphone politics.
Old 25-06-16, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connaught View Post
There appears to be divide, but I see the UK population coming together and getting on with it.
The undiplomatic language emanating from Junkers and the 6 FM is not helping the situation.
BTW when did the Foreign Ministers of the 6 founding nations speak for all the other 27, will the views of countries most impacted(like Ireland and Poland) be heard?
Its now time for quiet diplomacy and not megaphone politics.
I hope that you are right, now is the time for national unity. Triumphalism will not help.

My life is done. I am the wrong side of 60 and in poor health, but if I were 18 I would be very highly p!ssed off that the old people had done this to me.
Old 25-06-16, 01:17 PM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
but if I were 18 I would be very highly p!ssed off that the old people had done this to me.
Without wishing to be confrontational etc..

I was highly peed off about not having a say in the matter until I was 49 years of age. The promise of a referendum was always hinted at at general elections previously but never happened. IF we were given the choice 25 years ago..... we would have been "out" then.

My daughter is 18.... and her first big vote was this referendum. She was a remain, ofcourse, but is now starting to understand that the four horsemen are not coming.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 25-06-16, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I hope that you are right, now is the time for national unity. Triumphalism will not help.

My life is done. I am the wrong side of 60 and in poor health, but if I were 18 I would be very highly p!ssed off that the old people had done this to me.
No, it will be great! There will be an extra £350 million a week invested in the NHS!
Oh, I forgot. That was a lie.

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 25-06-16, 01:27 PM
Banned

Quote:

Whilst I'm sorry to hear that you are in ill health may I say that in my part of the country (East Yorkshire) where there was a strong turn out for the leave camp my boy who has just turned 18 voted to get out as all did bar one of his class mates, so whilst I have previously acknowledged that I respect your personal opinion please don't put all young people into the same in camp category when quite obviously they were not, I suppose it depends on where they come from and where they are living a life of milk and honey in an affluent part of the country with a future or currently don't have to much to look forwards in an area ( Hull and East Yorkshire for example) where many of the jobs have been taken by our Polish cousins not leaving a lot for the youngsters.

FMT600

FMT600
Old 25-06-16, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
Without wishing to be confrontational etc..

I was highly peed off about not having a say in the matter until I was 49 years of age. The promise of a referendum was always hinted at at general elections previously but never happened. IF we were given the choice 25 years ago..... we would have been "out" then.

My daughter is 18.... and her first big vote was this referendum. She was a remain, ofcourse, but is now starting to understand that the four horsemen are not coming.
They are not? How do you know?

I thought that nobody knew what was going to happen?

We assumed that Scotland would leave, but now there are even calls for a united Ireland and another referendum with well over 1.5 million signatures thus far. Interesting times.

One thing I do know. People moaned about how much money we pay in to Europe and yet in less than 24 hours "British stocks lost £125 billion after Brexit—or 15 years worth of EU contributions"

http://qz.com/715845/british-stocks-...contributions/
Old 25-06-16, 01:33 PM
Badge Guru

The problem with the youngsters of today is that they are constantly bombarded with media. Social media, streaming media, mobile media, etc. It is thus not surprising that they are influenced by it.

I have viewed some of the coverage and the majority from UK news channels has been one sided bias garbage that in my opinion would only be fit for viewing in North Korea!

As a journalist, interviewer or news reporter you should have a duty to find the truth, not serve the political views of your overlords.

The older generation are wise enough to know this. When I was a student at university we were taught to look for our own answers and find our own truths. What is happening in our education system?
Old 25-06-16, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubervamp View Post
No, it will be great! There will be an extra £350 million a week invested in the NHS!
Oh, I forgot. That was a lie.
What else would you expect from a man who resigned as party leader, and after a long weekend, was back again?
Old 25-06-16, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
The problem with the youngsters of today is that they are constantly bombarded with media. Social media, streaming media, mobile media, etc. It is thus not surprising that they are influenced by it.

I have viewed some of the coverage and the majority from UK news channels has been one sided bias garbage that in my opinion would only be fit for viewing in North Korea!

As a journalist, interviewer or news reporter you should have a duty to find the truth, not serve the political views of your overlords.

The older generation are wise enough to know this. When I was a student at university we were taught to look for our own answers and find our own truths. What is happening in our education system?
And yet, if you listened to Fridays edition of "Feedback" on BBC Radio 4 I believe that very many people are complaining about the pro Brexit bias of the media.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07glx7x
Old 25-06-16, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post

I think FOX NEWS missed that email

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 25-06-16, 01:43 PM
Badge Guru

Quote:
And yet, if you listened to Fridays edition of "Feedback" on BBC Radio 4 I believe that very many people are complaining about the pro Brexit bias of the media.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07glx7x
Sorry but I am not interested in the BBC. Selective reporting is a dishonest practice.