British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-12-20, 10:28 PM

Default Seeking Informatic re RA Gunner WWI

I am trying to help another friend who may want to sell a pair of WWI medals, but wants to see what can be found on the gunner.

Here's what I have:

J. R. Atkinson. GNR (Gunner). R.A. 179759

Any help or information is appreciated as I may be interested in them, if they are related to a VAD nurse that I know of.

Thank you,

Terry
Old 22-12-20, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
I am trying to help another friend who may want to sell a pair of WWI medals, but wants to see what can be found on the gunner.

Here's what I have:

J. R. Atkinson. GNR (Gunner). R.A. 179759

Any help or information is appreciated as I may be interested in them, if they are related to a VAD nurse that I know of.

Thank you,

Terry

Terry

here's what I know (from records in the public domain).
179759 Gunner John Randall Atkinson was born in Whitehaven, Cumbria in 1885. He was married to Gertrude and they lived at 29 Peter Street Whitehaven. He was working as a "Pork Butcher" when he enlisted into the army on 10th December 1915. His age was stated as 30 years and 240 days. He was enlisted into the Royal Garrison Artillery and served with 28th Siege Battery, 87th Siege Battery and lastly 219th Siege Battery.
Whilst serving with 219th Battery he is recorded as having suffered a Gunshot Wound to the right thigh (mild) on 27th September 1918 for which he was admitted to the 7th Canadian General Hospital at Etaples. His name was published in the "War Office Daily Casualty Report Number 5707 dated 28th October 1918 recording that he was entitled to wear a "Wound Stripe".

He was discharged from the army on 14th March 1919 and was Transferred to Z Reserve (inactive reserve list) on 11th April 1918.

Hope that helps. As to value, they are a relatively mundane pair of medals with a retail value of roughly £35 to £45

Paul
Old 23-12-20, 03:13 AM

Paul,

That is more than excellent!!! Had I been able to connect the medals with the nurses watch I got, I would have gone for them, but for what you've found I cannot see any connection. Thank you very much!!!

Terry